Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks promising.
- Intermediate Profile Barrel
- Price: $600 MSRP

Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation
- Handguard Upgradability?
- A lot of small parts for the op rod system breakdown. There are designs the breakdown into 3 parts. Why does this need so many?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks promising.

Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation
- A lot of small parts for the op rod system breakdown. There are designs the breakdown into 3 parts. Why does this need so many?
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oriOe6HsUQqjoK8vK/giphy.gif
View Quote

The fact that it comes apart no tools is already a huge plus.  Cheap MSRP.  Accuracy and dependability are my 2 main questions.  Barrel and parts finishing as well.  If it's chrome lined I'm already off board.  Nitride is the future and all companies better get with the program.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The fact that it comes apart no tools is already a huge plus.  Cheap MSRP.  Accuracy and dependability are my 2 main questions.  Barrel and parts finishing as well.  If it's chrome lined I'm already off board.  Nitride is the future and all companies better get with the program.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.

Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

Nitriding is better than chrome, but I want tight molecular bonding and for that, I would want  Np3.
Nitriding like chrome is a surface plating process but it has poorer wear uniformity characteristics as compared to Np3

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
that piston system spills out like a pez dispenser

seems like a lotta parts in there

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nitriding is better than chrome, but I want tight molecular bonding and for that, I would want  Np3.
Nitriding like chrome is a surface plating process but it has poorer wear uniformity characteristics as compared to Np3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.
Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

Nitriding is absolutely not a surface plating process.

I don't think you're going to get any tighter "molecular bonding" than inserting atoms into the crystal structure of the metal, down to a depth of many hundredths of an inch under the surface.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think you're going to get any tighter "molecular bonding" than inserting atoms into the crystal structure of the metal, down to a depth of many hundredths of an inch under the surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.
Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

If it does not change the molecular properties of the substrate or result in a chemical change in its properties, then it's a plating process or coating.
Np3 is also a coating process, but its molecules are smaller than NiB and wear properties more advantageous.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

that was my first thought too....not sure that is the best idea for ALOT of shooters.

my other first off gripe would be that all those little parts up front will be subject to carbon fouling and the rotating plug will get froze up unless you stay on the cleaning. my POF upper had a plug like that, that froze up. so did the plug on my FN SCAR. so did my AA....i know the FAL uses it and that doesnt make it right. just my .02 but its a fail.

i'll stick to the LWRC design that doesnt need the plug.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If it does not change the molecular properties of the substrate or result in a chemical change in its properties, then it's a plating process or coating.
Np3 is also a coating process, but its molecules are smaller than NiB and wear properties more advantageous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.
Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

But NP3, like chrome lining, changes the surface of the barrel insides which affect accuracy.  Nitriding does not.  A nitrided barrel has the exact same contour and inner diameter that it had before the nitriding process.  That is why nitride is superior for the barrel lining.  NP3 works for everything else.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great analogy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I want just to have
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Whats the resistance of nitride to fouling, corrosion and barrel life as to hard chrome?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Whats the resistance of nitride to fouling, corrosion and barrel life as to hard chrome?
View Quote

Nitride or NiB?

NiB vs Chrome (assuming the chroming was done properly):

Fouling Resistance = Advantage NIB
Corrosion Resistance = Advantage Chrome
Barrel Life = Advantage Chrome

Nitriding (assuming you mean Salt Balt / Meloniting) vs Chrome:

Fouling Resistance = Tie
Corrosion Resistance = Advantage Meloniting
Barrel Life = Advantage Meloniting
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
you guys should go start another chrome vs Nitriding  thread

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
you guys should go start another chrome vs Nitriding  thread

View Quote

Each treatment and plating process has a pro and con depending on your particular use case and environment.
If history holds true, every 6-8 years we get a new coating or treatment processs breakthrough or a leap in the efficacy of existing technologies.

No one has yet come up with the magic coating that checks all the boxes, all the time, in all environments.
Kudos to the man or woman who does and patents it; they're going to have a license to print money.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.
Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

Felt a need to circle back on this and apologize for my reading error. He wrote "Nitriding" and for some reason my mind thought he was talking about NiB.

Nitriding is in fact Salt Balt, Meloniting, etc. and is not a coating. It is process change and treatment of the metal.

Basically we're both in agreement, and I was arguing with myself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks nice. Not a big fan of having lots of pieces to the piston, but if it works, it works. Externally, it almost seems like a sudo-FNC. If the gas system is self-regulating, I'm wondering how rough it'll be with a suppressor.

Henderson Defense just got one for testing, so we'll find out how it stands up to being abused like a $2 whore on payday.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Have a buddy I know in the Taiwan military.

He likes this version a lot.  Says it is extremely reliable.

I am going to get an upper myself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#18]
- Unknown Reputation
Users:
Taiwan - 240,000 rifle
Bosnia and Herzegovina - 5,000 rifles
Indonesia - 10,000 rifles
Jordan - 20,000 rifles
Kuwait - 18,000 rifles
United Arab Emirates - 30,000 rifles
India 1,000s
- Handguard Upgradability

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and this one seems like someone directly modify the original hand guard and turn into this

I am not sure about this part,however I heard it`s for the better recoil control (recoil buffer)  and self regulated piston system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the Germans had an influence in the gas piston design...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Looks like the Germans had an influence in the gas piston design...
View Quote
Other way around. This design has been in service since 1976 in Taiwan. HK copied it from them.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks promising.

Dislikes:
- Unknown Reputation

You dont know what your talking about.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nitriding like chrome is a surface plating process but it has poorer wear uniformity characteristics as compared to Np3]
View Quote

Robar does not plate inside of barrels with NP3+ or NP3. NiB-X is not a bore treatment.

EASY TO CLEAN: NP3® Plus/NP3 is easy to clean; in most cases wiping with a rag will suffice (We do NOT plate the inside of barrels; these need to be cleaned conventionally).

WMD Guns NiB-X barrel has a Nitromet nitrided bore treatment.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You dont know what your talking about.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html
View Quote

I later corrected my error and offered an apology for my mix-up.
(See post #16)
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am not sure about this part,however I heard it`s for the better recoil control (recoil buffer)  and self regulated piston system.
View Quote

I felt the same way; Assembly Tube, Gas Plug, Op Rod, Spring, Coupler(?), Another Spring. Just feels like more parts to fail or possibly lose during cleaning or trying to sort out a problem in the field.

I would like to hear the designer's philosophy on why they felt so many parts were required?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I felt the same way; Assembly Tube, Gas Plug, Op Rod, Spring, Coupler(?), Another Spring. Just feels like more parts to fail or possibly lose during cleaning or trying to sort out a problem in the field.

I would like to hear the designer's philosophy on why they felt so many parts were required?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Designer is probably dead/retired. First variation of that system came into service in 1976.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and that obsession with having a gas plug up front that is going to get carbon fouled and seize up is another issue i have with these piston AR upper mfg's.

the LWRC may have some flaws but at least there are no part to freeze up due to fouling. i'll take the trade off of broken return spring and carry extras, rather than deal with gas plugs.  the LW uppers will still run even with a broken spring, i know, it happened!!

when will some one just make an AR piston upper that more closely resembles the AK? or have they and i just live under a rock? the daewoo, FNC and SCAR rifles have near perfect designs for the piston, lets just make something like that in an upper that will snap into an AR lower.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Designer is probably dead/retired. First variation of that system came into service in 1976.  
View Quote

Noted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
and that obsession with having a gas plug up front that is going to get carbon fouled and seize up is another issue i have with these piston AR upper mfg's.

the LWRC may have some flaws but at least there are no part to freeze up due to fouling. i'll take the trade off of broken return spring and carry extras, rather than deal with gas plugs.  the LW uppers will still run even with a broken spring, i know, it happened!!

when will some one just make an AR piston upper that more closely resembles the AK? or have they and i just live under a rock? the daewoo, FNC and SCAR rifles have near perfect designs for the piston, lets just make something like that in an upper that will snap into an AR lower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you want is a Daewoo K2.

Sadly it does not mate with an AR.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faxon arak
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where is that rock you live under that you have never heard of PWS?

In 5 1/2 years+++ I have never had a PWS gas system hiccup in anyway.

I am still running a MK114 I bought in the spring of 2011.
I have 2 Mod 0 versions that I shoot 3-5 times a week and hardly ever clean them. I do admit I do not shoot the newer version the Mod1 much, kind of my SHTF gun although I do shoot it some

Seriously, the PWS design is a AK gas system in an AR15, has been since before I came here and asked what to buy. I was a Daewoo DR200 owner for 15+ years and wanted something like that in a light weight AR and there is still only one, PWS

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Any inside info on who is going to sell these? ETA?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any inside info on who is going to sell these? ETA?
View Quote

Wolf / WPA would probably be able to direct to who's going to distribute and retail them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have 2 Mod 0 versions that I shoot 3-5 times a week and hardly ever clean them. I do admit I do not shoot the newer version the Mod1 much, kind of my SHTF gun although I do shoot it some

Seriously, the PWS design is a AK gas system in an AR15, has been since before I came here and asked what to buy. I was a Daewoo DR200 owner for 15+ years and wanted something like that in a light weight AR and there is still only one, PWS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PWS is one of the best, The older Mod 0 version, while non-FF and stuck with a fairly heavy handguard, is the most robust of their rifles. Paul Howe was a big fan of it, he even had a special CSAT variant commissioned.

Serbu was supposed to have released a piston upper that is essentially a knock off of the SCAR, but it's been fucking vaporware.

ETA: Had an idea for a neat quasi-retro piston build off the Wolf A1; RRA standalone rear sight, Aimpoint PRO/CompM3, Fulton A1 stock kit, and either IDF seatbelt sling or a Proctor WOTG. Be nice to make a BFG UWL work for the front sling mount, melted more than a few paracord mounts by mistake.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
If anyone knows where to order. One please link it here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Any word yet on when these will be available?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#36]
aim is supposed to be carrying them.  I'd give call them
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I contacted Wolf directly for an update two weeks ago, as they told me in October they would be shipping in January. Have not heard back from them.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
aim is supposed to be carrying them.  I'd give call them
View Quote

I can guarantee AIM will let everyone know when they are available
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone ordered one yet?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is this will be another vaporware project like the Radom Archer and the B&T 556.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is this will be another vaporware project like the Radom Archer and the B&T 556.
View Quote

B&T APC556 are out now.... And the Radom Archer's were, they just didn't sell well
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

B&T APC556 are out now.... And the Radom Archer's were, they just didn't sell well
View Quote

The B&Ts are imported as 'pistols' only and cost $3,000 each. You could own two CZ Bren S1 carbines for the same price as one of their 'pistols'. The problem with the Archers was not their popularity but I.O. quality control. I.O. imported them and fucked up the lower receivers when opening the mag-wells. Radom was supposed to open a TX import/machining warehouse to do it themselves, but it never happened.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The B&Ts are imported as 'pistols' only and cost $3,000 each. You could own two CZ Bren S1 carbines for the same price as one of their 'pistols'. The problem with the Archers was not their popularity but I.O. quality control. I.O. imported them and fucked up the lower receivers when opening the mag-wells. Radom was supposed to open a TX import/machining warehouse to do it themselves, but it never happened.
View Quote

Ok, Vaporware = a nonexistant product.
You're bitching about price and quality
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ok, Vaporware = a nonexistant product.
You're bitching about price and quality
View Quote

I'm referring to vaporware as non existent in the U.S.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm referring to vaporware as non existent in the U.S.
View Quote
The archers existed.  Before they were imported through the end of when I ran an LGS, nobody ever asked about it, and for anyone who was looking for its rough feature set, they all bought Arsenals instead.

but back to OP--I am eagerly awaiting an ETA on these, and a rundown of the what and why of that piston system.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nitride or NiB?

NiB vs Chrome (assuming the chroming was done properly):

Fouling Resistance = Advantage NIB
Corrosion Resistance = Advantage Chrome
Barrel Life = Advantage Chrome

Nitriding (assuming you mean Salt Balt / Meloniting) vs Chrome:

Fouling Resistance = Tie
Corrosion Resistance = Advantage Meloniting
Barrel Life = Advantage Meloniting
View Quote

No real dog in the fight but as far as barrel life is concerned chrome-lining is generally considered to be better. Stellite is even better than nitriding or chrome lining and is often used in machine gun barrels. However it is worth mentioning that chrome-lining is much more expensive to make as accurate as a nitrided barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#47]
When? I'm guessing never.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Make Taiwan and Korea Great Again!

The optic is the new DI Optical FC1 mini prism red-dot sight.

http://diopticalusa.com/?page_id=1219
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top