Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2016 6:50:21 PM EDT
The new small frame 308s are based on the AR15 receiver and as such are lighter and have more parts compatibility with a 5.56 AR15. There were a couple of threads about undergassed and therefore unreliable AASF-308s. I found one on GB for just under $1,200 and wanted to try it out. With a small frame, like the Colt 901S, a registered DIAS fits with no modifications, and thus is allowable by BATFE. That is what piqued my interest about the Adams Arms version, that and a price tag $1,000 less than some piston ARs. Well I put together this review. I am happy. Ran well even with Russian steel case ammo.

https://youtu.be/Re7N1qLoHbM
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
the comments on the video prompted me to take a look at how the Gen 3 Pmags interact with my own albeit large-frame 308 (Aero), and i noticed that if i did that same mag-follower dremel mod, i'd get just a skosh more bolt catch engagement with the bolt, looks like the bolt catch could go up by maybe 1/16" more before topping out.  i mean, it works fine as-is, but seems that it should push it up just a little bit more.  on the other hand, everybody's talking about bolt catches snapping, the increase in height would also increase the leverage, more likely to snap off if it's marginal or borderline.

in comparison, on my several AR-15's and Pmags, the bolt catch always tops out on mag-empty, and actually compresses on the mag follower a little.

damn, that's a lot of mags i'd have to modify.  i might just leave "well-enough" alone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the comments on the video prompted me to take a look at how the Gen 3 Pmags interact with my own albeit large-frame 308 (Aero), and i noticed that if i did that same mag-follower dremel mod, i'd get just a skosh more bolt catch engagement with the bolt, looks like the bolt catch could go up by maybe 1/16" more before topping out.  i mean, it works fine as-is, but seems that it should push it up just a little bit more.  on the other hand, everybody's talking about bolt catches snapping, the increase in height would also increase the leverage, more likely to snap off if it's marginal or borderline.

in comparison, on my several AR-15's and Pmags, the bolt catch always tops out on mag-empty, and actually compresses on the mag follower a little.

damn, that's a lot of mags i'd have to modify.  i might just leave "well-enough" alone.
View Quote

If they are working I would leave them alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;o)   But for the small frames and GEN3 Pmags, what a simple solution. I also had a comment from someone that changed the gas block to the XLP block and put free float rails on. OK, never mind about what I said about the whole if it ain't broke.....I want to try and put free float rails on this rifle myself. I want to see if I can get the Fortis REV to fit. It's a disease.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#3]

solid video
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Great video & review, thank you very much!
AA has been knocking the ball out of the park for my department & several local 3 gun shooters
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
my experience with the pinned Adams Arms piston gas block (sample size: 2), is that those 1/8" solid pins are a BEAR to hammer out.  more difficult IMHO than the taper pins in a A2 FSB.  i end up with hammer, punch marks on the block, just cosmetic.  it's okay with me, it's a shooter, not a safe queen.  but if changing to a FF handguard means changing the barrel nut, be advised.

of course if you had the tooling, jigs and press, it'd be a different story.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is my version of the Gen 3 PMAG fix for all of the small frame 308s.

https://youtu.be/_6LWegCa6K8
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Adams Arms can provide a bolt catch that works with the Gen3 PMAGs...but that mod for the follower does seem pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Adams Arms can provide a bolt catch that works with the Gen3 PMAGs...but that mod for the follower does seem pretty easy to do.
View Quote

They are sending me one of those bolt catches, should be able to report back my results.  It's a shame that it has any issues at all...for a $1000 rifle I've never seen such quality and attention to detail.  If it's needed for the most common magazine available, it should be a standard part.  My bolt catch doesn't even work with metal mags, so it's more than just Magpul G3s.

Mine is one with the Magpul handguard and I'd like to get a metal one, then Cerakote.  Yes, I've seen the list on Adams' website but most of those models are discontinued.  It seems like only the Samson Evo is actually still in production.  Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone swapped out a POF roller cam pin in their BCG?  Does it make any difference vs. the Adams round-but-not-rolling one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are sending me one of those bolt catches, should be able to report back my results.  It's a shame that it has any issues at all...for a $1000 rifle I've never seen such quality and attention to detail.  If it's needed for the most common magazine available, it should be a standard part.  My bolt catch doesn't even work with metal mags, so it's more than just Magpul G3s.

Mine is one with the Magpul handguard and I'd like to get a metal one, then Cerakote.  Yes, I've seen the list on Adams' website but most of those models are discontinued.  It seems like only the Samson Evo is actually still in production.  Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone swapped out a POF roller cam pin in their BCG?  Does it make any difference vs. the Adams round-but-not-rolling one?
View Quote

I am not sure if POF makes a roller cam pin that would fit. It seems like a proprietary part. I would like to know if an AR10 cam pin would work in the AASF. I'll try to pull one and look tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a POF roller cam pin would fit but I would clear that with Adams Arms before trying it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
So I got my new bolt catch from Adams Arms a bit ago.  I really should have taken pics of the two parts (old and new).  The replacement catch has a little extra "overhang" where it engages the magazine follower.  Only 2-3mm but that's plenty to make it work properly.

While I had it ripped apart I installed a Seekins 60 degree ambi safety as well.  Unless I run across a compatible handguard I like (and there aren't many that are compatible) the rifle is done.

Good customer service from Adams Arms, but it really should have been built with the right part from the get go.  A short factory QC should have caught (no pun intended) that the catch didn't work right.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top