Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 7:08:04 PM EDT
Which would be the better rifle & why?

Just target shooting at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd vote Roger. I've read good stuff about them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a POF 308 and it's awesome.
That being said you're asking between 2 way different rifles in 2 different classes.
You got a ton of cash? POF
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
And as everyone knows spend a ton of cash and get a better rifle and poser points  I guess it helps if you have a little peter
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the POF.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
POF
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Both are work horses and both have communities that love them. If you gave me the option I would go with the POF, but I wouldn't be disappointed with the ruger. So I guess what I'm saying is I like both rifles, but to me the POF comes away with and edge over the Ruger, however the Ruger is cheaper. Now I'm biased with POF, but I would say better trigger and ambi controles. With Ruger you have better customer service. I don't feel I am well versed enough to provide judgement on their pistons systems as both have proven themselves.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
POF has my vote.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go for the Ruger personally.

Have you looked at the Primary Weapon Systems long stroke piston guns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a reason you pay more for POF. Keep your eyes open for sales on Slickguns and in the EE here and you can find a nice POF for much less than the normal $2200 retail price. I've owned a couple POF P308 rifles and have had great experiences with them. POF customer service was very responsive with questions I had as well.

https://pof-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/AfterActionReport_addendum12-14.pdf
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
This is 38 minutes long and describes the POF parts and manufacturing process. Should help you with your decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcv1dTstso
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Corvette Vs Camaro
Both nice and one is really, REALLY nice.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
No contest imo. The POF 308 is very accurate (Well under 1 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups) and has a great stock trigger. Never had a single problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#13]
No contest imo. The POF 308 is very accurate (Well under 1 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups) and has a great stock trigger. Never had a single problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The POF is of course a nicer weapon. We're measuring a Porsche to a Mustang.

But if your only plans are to shoot to 100 yards and are not concerned with the spec sheet drag race or making people green with envy - get the Ruger and with the savings buy more .308 ammo and a few upgrades.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not know what POF quality is like these days , but 5 years ago I bought a POF and it went back to them 4 times B4 it would run right . I sold it and bought a Sig 716P and never looked back . I hear good things about the Ruger , but if you want THE best choice I believe it would be the FNH Scar .
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not know what POF quality is like these days , but 5 years ago I bought a POF and it went back to them 4 times B4 it would run right . I sold it and bought a Sig 716P and never looked back . I hear good things about the Ruger , but if you want THE best choice I believe it would be the FNH Scar .
View Quote

I haven't handled a POF.

However, I do own a Ruger SR762 and a SIG 716 Patrol.  Forced to choose between the two, I'd take the SIG.

Both shoot better than their owner, but the fit & finish of the SIG is much nicer than the Ruger.  

The only thing I don't like about the SIG is the cheese grater handguard. II think it was made from Wolverine's jagged, broken bones.  It's the only rifle I shoot wearing a glove on my support hand when in prone with a sling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I haven't handled a POF.

However, I do own a Ruger SR762 and a SIG 716 Patrol.  Forced to choose between the two, I'd take the SIG.

Both shoot better than their owner, but the fit & finish of the SIG is much nicer than the Ruger.  

The only thing I don't like about the SIG is the cheese grater handguard. II think it was made from Wolverine's jagged, broken bones.  It's the only rifle I shoot wearing a glove on my support hand when in prone with a sling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't handled a POF.

That's my only bitch about the SIG , I too wear gloves when I shoot mine .
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two POF's.

Get one
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you had a first generation POF. I read plenty of postings from owners who had various reliability issues. Fast forward to the newer runs and Gen 2's, I rarely see a bad work spoken accept for, of course, they're weight. They'll never win the high speed - low drag award.

SCARs are very nice but I always feel as if you're paying a stupendous premium and not getting enough rifle for your money in 5.56. (.308 is a different story. Worth every penny in that caliber.).

Hearing great things about the CZ Bren 806. I believe this will end up giving the SCAR-L not only a run for its money, but probably erode a significant portion of its sales.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sounds like you had a first generation POF. I read plenty of postings from owners who had various reliability issues. Fast forward to the newer runs and Gen 2's, I rarely see a bad work spoken accept for, of course, they're weight. They'll never win the high speed - low drag award.

SCARs are very nice but I always feel as if you're paying a stupendous premium and not getting enough rifle for your money in 5.56. (.308 is a different story. Worth every penny in that caliber.).

Hearing great things about the CZ Bren 806. I believe this will end up giving the SCAR-L not only a run for its money, but probably erode a significant portion of its sales.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My problem with the CZ Bren is that the handguard gets super hot as the gun is fired.  It must have something to do with the placement of the gas block, but that's pretty lame IMO.  That can make the gun almost unwieldable under some circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#21]
POF- Gen 4's are super nice rifles. A lot of innovation and forward thinking in these. I have several other 308's and the P308 is defiantly the softest shooter I've ever handled in the AR-10 platform. Rugers are very good value for money and will not disappoint, but POF definitely builds one nice rifle- the fit and finish, ergos and accuracy are all too notch. Also- I've been very happy with their customer service. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, like it's been stated, you're comparing a Cadillac to a Datsun.  Both will serve you well, I suspect, but I still prefer the awesomeness that is POF craftsmanship and NP3 coating.  The fact they made a 5.56 that Iraqveteran8888 couldn't break by firing on full auto endlessly doesn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Both great guns. My brother has a POF and I have a Ruger. Both guns run scaled dogs, but I spent less money on mine, haha. Of course, his does have the Rhino Liner on the forend and the  NP3 coated receivers, if you like that stuff.

Definite cool points for the Rhino Liner  
But they stopped doing that a while back  

AND...in case no one else mentioned it, the top rail on the POFs is higher than standard because of the way the forend has a long "monolithic" rail that bolts on over the upper receiver rail. It's not necessarily a bad feature, just requires bearing in mind and carefully trying out sights, optics, and mounts if you get one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Target shooting at 100 yards. POF Is overkill.
Save a ton and get the Ruger. Use the savings for a better optic and ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

AND...in case no one else mentioned it, the top rail on the POFs is higher than standard because of the way the forend has a long "monolithic" rail that bolts on over the upper receiver rail. It's not necessarily a bad feature, just requires bearing in mind and carefully trying out sights, optics, and mounts if you get one.
View Quote

Correct. I believe the P308 top rail is .375" taller than a standard rail. Disadvantage: standard height AR scope mounts are too high for a solid cheek weld. Advantage: that mono rail allows you to use standard scope rings which are lighter and more versatile than an AR scope mount.

I use Nightforce Ultralight "High" (1.125") rings on my P308 rifles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The most accurate rifles are not bought, they are made.

If your never going to shoot past 100 yards, a 308 is a waste of caliber. We zero them at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I looked at both a few years back and ended up getting the POF P308. Mine has been a great rifle. It is very accurate and 100% reliable, except for the time I tested their "runs with no lube" claim. My P308 choked after 40 rounds, while my P415 with no lube ran like a sewing machine through the 300 rounds I allocated for the test.

One thing to note- Having dealt with both Ruger and POF customer service, Ruger flat out takes care of their customers. Ruger's CS is badass. POF seems to take some poking and prodding before they will even respond to you sometimes.

I own three POFs, and I really like their rifles a lot, but POF customer service has frustrated me more than once.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought the first Ruger 762 that our lgs could get. It's had over 5k rounds through it and hasn't coughed once. It is a little on the hefty side and the stock trigger sucked. Replaced the trigger with an SSA-E, replaced the buttstock, mounted a 10x SWRA SS mil-dot and haven't looked back. I have no experience with the POF but I haven't heard anything negative about them. My opine- if 100 yds is your goal- Buy a good 556 and save a bucket of money on ammo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#29]
PoF
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Update , I just picked up a POF at Central Florida at a fantastic price ,this one is a vast Improvement from my first gen POF. No jams ,no FTF, no FTE .  At this price the Ruger makes no sense.  http://www.cflgunandtactical.com/POF-USA-P308-Gen-4-308-NP3-p/00604.htm
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same results here with my P415 as well. Never a single problem. POF gets my vote for sure.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
POF- Gen 4's are super nice rifles. A lot of innovation and forward thinking in these. I have several other 308's and the P308 is defiantly the softest shooter I've ever handled in the AR-10 platform. Rugers are very good value for money and will not disappoint, but POF definitely builds one nice rifle- the fit and finish, ergos and accuracy are all too notch. Also- I've been very happy with their customer service. Hope this helps.
View Quote
What kind of accuracy do you get from your P308? What ammo, bullet combo and at what distance are you shooting?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know you didn't ask about...but for a 7.62 piston rifle you really need to look at the SCAR-17. Prices are dropping like a rock on them and they are the best 7.62 rifle on the market IMHO. I've had the FAL, M1A, two HK-91's, an SR-25 EMC, and several other 7.62 AR's. I ended up with the SCAR and have no complaints. It's the lightest, one of the most compact, and 1-2 MOA accurate with good ammo. Price wise it falls within the average of the options...mags are pretty cheap ($28-32) and the only issue out of the box is the shitty trigger. It may not be "your" perfect rifle, but after $30k in semi auto 7.62's I found it to be the best compromise.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a couple of POF Puritans and they ran 100%.  They were a little heavy (compared to a DI), and the recoil was a little more pronounced than the LWRCs I had.

Ultimately, I couldn't find a reason to keep piston ARs.  They didn't offer any advantages over DI ARs.  (Yes, the receiver stays a little cleaner, but I have a DI that I've ran 1000rds of Wolf thru without cleaning.  ZERO malfunctions...).
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is 38 minutes long and describes the POF parts and manufacturing process. Should help you with your decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcv1dTstso
View Quote
I just watched this video and I am ready to sell my LMTs and Larues...

This was great, one of the best, if not the best video, by the owner no less.

I know nothing about POF, other than they make rifles.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#36]
If I due my part I get .75 moa at 100 yards with my P308 and 168 grain FGMM. I have not experienced any malfunctions of any kind with mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Between the two.....POF
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top