Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2016 7:38:57 PM EDT
It's been many years since I paid any attention to these (8-10). At that time they all seemed to be problematic and some of the designs were crude, almost experimental. Is there a reliable brand now at a reasonable cost? Does it make sense to switch from a standard upper assuming you mainly shoot 55gr M193?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No need with adjustable gas blocks these days.

They're everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's been many years since I paid any attention to these (8-10). At that time they all seemed to be problematic and some of the designs were crude, almost experimental. Is there a reliable brand now at a reasonable cost? Does it make sense to switch from a standard upper assuming you mainly shoot 55gr M193?
View Quote

Theres really no point, they really dont offer anything a DI upper doesnt. There is a thread where battledield las vegas talk about piston uppers, the conclusion i believe was that the HK416 was really the only piston upper that could compete with regular DI
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
A solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much.

There isn't anything wrong with them as far as I can tell, but it's unnecessary.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Pass.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a nice LWRC piston M6A2-S.  It's flawless in its reliability and performance.  I have 5 home built DI AR15's, and they have been flawless in their reliability and performance.  The main difference is that the LWRC is a little heavier in an equal barrel length comparison.  I don't know...maybe I'll see a higher quality or design benefit after years and thousands of rounds in my LWRC, but who knows.  As it stands now, I'd probably buy a DI LWRC instead of the piston version if I had to have an LWRC again.  They do make really good stuff if you want an off-the-shelf rifle.

On the other hand I have 3 different bullpup rifles that are piston design, and I guess that may be more appropriate there due to the barrel placement.  I'm no engineer, but I'm not familiar with any DI bullpup designs off hand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like nothing's changed. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine (Adams Arms railed gas block on mid-length barrel) was dead-nuts reliable, and nearly maintenance-free, which I liked. I didn't like the extra weight, limited range of hand guard choices, increased felt recoil, and the extra parts and adjustments that came with it. To be fair, some of the newer offerings come with low-profile gas blocks (some even gas-adjustable) that fit under more hand guards, and add little extra weight, so the system isn't DOA, but in any case, you add about $300 to the cost of any build using a piston kit, and add no meaningful performance improvement. That just doesn't strike me as an improvement over the Stoner design.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There isn't anything wrong with them as far as I can tell, but it's unnecessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing other than proprietary parts and a much higher asking price.  Oh, and more weight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what it says over in the high round count thread

Quoted:

- The only piston system to last on the range so far is the HK416 and TD415 system. Ever other systems we have tried has failed in one way or another. I won't say who's broke or how they broke so PLEASE don't ask. Each mfg has their own system for cleaning intervals and we may not follow their way. We have a way of cleaning and keeping records that suits our needs because of so much use.

View Quote

I have owned an LWRC but didn't keep it long enough to be able to say either way.  I didn't see anything about the piston that made me want another.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the verdict? They're great.
If they weren't great it would be an orphaned concept.

Did they have initial design and reliability problems. Yes.
So did the DI M-16.

Innovation comes at a cost.
Have many of these initial design problems been sorted. Yes.

The more telling statement; AR platform or otherwise, how many new small and medium caliber semi-auto rifles are being designed as DI vs. Gas Piston?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Really Like every other item ARFCOM pontificates on the best and worst thing ever made.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
funny how you Di only guys troll the piston forum!

isnt the main difference that a piston upper doesnt shit inside the carrier, its shits outside the carrier and therefore not prone to the dirty/dry carrier issues of DI guns. not that a DI upper can't run a long time that way as long as they stay moist.

everything has a down side. just have to decide which is better for you.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have owned an LWRC but didn't keep it long enough to be able to say either way.  I didn't see anything about the piston that made me want another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- The only piston system to last on the range so far is the HK416 and TD415 system. Ever other systems we have tried has failed in one way or another. I won't say who's broke or how they broke so PLEASE don't ask. Each mfg has their own system for cleaning intervals and we may not follow their way. We have a way of cleaning and keeping records that suits our needs because of so much use.

you obviously didnt put a thousand rounds thru it.... without having to clean or lube the BCG...
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

isnt the main difference that a piston upper doesnt shit inside the carrier, its shits outside the carrier and therefore not prone to the dirty/dry carrier issues of DI guns. not that a DI upper can't run a long time that way as long as they stay moist.

View Quote

DI can go indefinitely without cleaning the action of you keep lubing it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So did the DI M-16.

The more telling statement; AR platform or otherwise, how many new small and medium caliber semi-auto rifles are being designed as DI vs. Gas Piston?
View Quote

What's the benefit?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

you obviously didnt put a thousand rounds thru it.... without having to clean or lube the BCG...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I put 500 rounds on my last suppressed DI gun without adding lube and it was fine. 1-2,000 rounds without new lube is fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont think i'd total buy into that but i would agree they can go along time with re-lubing only but thats a nasty messy and i'd hate to get any sand or other dirt in there at that time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I put 500 rounds on my last suppressed DI gun without adding lube and it was fine. 1-2,000 rounds without new lube is fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i'd agree that 500 is ok on a suppressed DI upper but i've noticed my carrier is pretty much totally dry after about 250 rounds of continuous fire. not something i'd want to trust my life to at a higher round count.

so your saying you've gone 2000 rounds of suppressed fire without re-lubing? on the same day?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Unsuppressed although a properly set up suppressed gun isn't much dirtier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's the benefit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did the DI M-16.

What's the benefit?

Far less gas blown back into your face. (Southpaw shooters appreciate this even more than us Righties.)
Far less fouling and carbon around the BCG and inside the lower.
BCG doesn't heat up.
Less heat transfer on the BCG aids in extending the working life of the lubricants.
No gas key.
No chance of gas tubes backing out, failing or rupturing.
Return gas tune ability. Most GP rifles have at least 3 coarse tuning settings on the gas plug, but a few have several settings for further fine tuning.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the standard DI platform, GPs simple take a different approach at rectifying some of the areas where a DI could be enhanced.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I was watching the DEA taking down cocaine labs in Southern America on the TV and noticed they were using LWRC piston AR-15's.  The jungle likes pistons
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
my adams arms is awesome and it doesn't shoot hot gases in my eyes like ALL di guns do. It stays cool in the receiver too because it isn't hosting exploding gases.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was watching the DEA taking down cocaine labs in Southern America on the TV and noticed they were using LWRC piston AR-15's.  The jungle likes pistons
View Quote

Friend of mine was collocates with DEA in Afghanistan. Started the tour with LWRCs, finished it with M4s.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#26]
If piston uppers really weren't that great, the concept would have died out ages ago.  Instead, it's flourishing and new companies making piston uppers are popping up all the time.  That alone should tell you something.  Not to mention DI technology has not advanced a bit since its creation.  Oh, we have adjustable gas blocks.  Ooooooooooooooooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  DI is at a stand still.  Piston systems continue to move forward, and every new gas rifle companies come up with is piston driven.  Did pistons ARs suck at one point?  Yes.  Did AR-10s suck at one point?  Yes.  Did M16s suck at one point?  Yes.  Now what do all of these things have in common?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
my adams arms is awesome and it doesn't shoot hot gases in my eyes like ALL di guns do. It stays cool in the receiver too because it isn't hosting exploding gases.
View Quote

Just bakes the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exploding gasses in the receiver? Oy vey...
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exploding/expanding, same thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Friend of mine was collocates with DEA in Afghanistan. Started the tour with LWRCs, finished it with M4s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEA in Afghanistan would fall under the Mansfield Amendment. Foreign-deployed Advisory and Support Teams (FAST) specifically. In which case, the changeover is not a surprise. FAST teams are deployed for engagements well over 3 months. They are going to want support and parts from the military supply chain - which doesn't support LWRC platforms.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Louder when suppressed than a DI
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

DEA in Afghanistan would fall under the Mansfield Amendment. Foreign-deployed Advisory and Support Teams (FAST) specifically. In which case, the changeover is not a surprise. FAST teams are deployed for engagements well over 3 months. They are going to want support and parts from the military supply chain - which doesn't support LWRC platforms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the guns worked they would have lasted the full tour.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't aware M4's always work and never fail. Duly noted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious, which design was it? The first gen or second gen piston setup?

There was an individual in the LWRC forum that went to Afghanistan with a LWRC 10.5 IC and his lasted the full tour but he had the gen 2.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I believe gen 1.

The problem with most things isn't the idea it's lacking the time and resources to do it right. Colt had that in the 1960s. HK has it now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I believe gen 1.

The problem with most things isn't the idea it's lacking the time and resources to do it right. Colt had that in the 1960s. HK has it now.
View Quote

I'm honestly not surprised, if it was a gen 1 design. The gen 1 design used thinner parts, two piece carrier and had a polymer piston cup that was prone to cracking.

The gen 2 is far more robust, as far as the short stroke designs go. No clue how well it did/didn't do in the recent military trials, as I know some members here have commented on seeing LWRC in them.

Only reason I jumped into the piston game was for the ease of adjusting gas between suppressed/unsuppressed but with the Gemtech carrier, I haven't seen as much of a need for it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually not the same thing.  Like at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#38]
This whole thing seem to me to be Ford Vs Chevy.  And, differing between exploding and expanding?  A round going off is just a controlled explosion.  Just like a nuclear  plant is just controlling a nuclear "explosion".  I have both AR platforms, and can clean my piston BCG with a napkin, well almost with both of my DI ones as well because of using my after market BCG's (don't want to mention one brand over another).  And, remember my first M16 in Nam in middle 60's, was a POS!!!
  Of course I only have some 10,000 rounds through my piston, with no problems (using an H3 buffer) and I only really load to .223 as I do not need the extra 10K PSI just to shoot paper targets, as they don't run too fast for me at this age (70's).  I also don't complain about friends who drive Prius cars either.  Guess, cus I am older.
 On the theory that the piston platform is bad because the original AR platform was not designed with it....well the AR platform these days does not look anything like my first issue.  So, why don't those improvements come under suspicion as unnecessary?  Maybe somebody else has a dog is that meaner than mine, but mine has teeth too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh, it's not the same thing.  It was a joke.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a few of both and I just came back from a day on the range and can tell you what I like and don't about each.

Piston cons:
Slightly heavier
More expensive
Proprietary (can't change 100% of parts with all my other AR platform rifles - so in other words it's like any other rifle other than an AR)

Piston pros:
Ridiculously easier to clean (pop out the piston and scrub it, lube it and put it back in. run a bore snake through barrel and I'm done. BCG stays as clean as before range session. No need to clean it all)
Receiver stays cold and clean.

Gas tube pros:
99% parts swap with pretty much any other standard AR (assuming you are going from standard AR to standard AR. If you start using non-standard parts then they won't swap out either, but you don't have to use non-standard parts)
Lighter
Less expensive (depending on what brand you buy )

Gas tube cons:
Dirtier, more involved to clean. (IF you are a person that likes to get it clean. If you are a guy that can live with a little carbon here or there then it is still harder to clean but not that bad. But if you like it spotless then it is going to take you some extra time. A lot of extra time.)
Receiver gets hotter and dirtier.

So if I were going to war I would bring a gas tube due to popularity and parts swapping ability with fellow soldiers. But when I go to the range for a day with friends? I bring the piston. Less clean up time and goes back in the safe as clean as when I took it out.

I think the only thing that really hurts pistons is that each company is different. There is no piston standard (yet) thus it is like any other rifle; proprietary. This takes away one of the great benefits of the AR platform, swap-ability. You can take a part from company "x" and put it on a rifle that has parts from numerous other companies and it will work fine (probably depending on the part). With a piston you cannot {for certain parts}. So a piston is more like a regular rifle. For example you cannot take a bolt from a Remington 700 and put it in a Winchester or a Savage bolt action rifle.
If a piston standard is ever settled upon then I think you might start seeing a boom in popularity. But right now if I am going to the range for fun I grab a piston. Cleaning is not as much fun as shooting
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#41]
This is the exact same thread as "Future of Piston Rifles"
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/695957_Future_of_Piston_rifles.html

Fact is more and more military units are going to war with at least one piston gun HK416.
The parts availability argument I think is a weak one. What is prone to break on a piston gun are the same parts on a DI gun and can be swapped out, bolt lugs firing pin getting dull.
Piston OP rods breaking (I have never seen it in 10 years of running piston) So I think chance of that happening super rare. And if it does happen and you just happen to be in war you can always just swap out bolt carrier and gas tube make it a DI gun. The only part that counts in war is the lower since that is what you signed for.

In war if your rifle breaks out on a mission you are pretty much fucked until you get back to a FOB anyway. Unless you carry your own spare parts.
In 2014 some lugs on my bolt broke in Afghanistan. So after that I always carried a spare bolt along with firing pin retaining pin  in my go bag.
For piston gun I would just carry spare springs that go around op rod. I have had them pop off before cleaning.  

The SCAR heavy and a few SCAR lights are being carried down range I would say those parts are harder to get than HK416 at times, But that does not keep guys from running them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the post, XSentinel, had not really thought of some of this.  And, cleaning is almost too easy with a piston.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks for the post, XSentinel, had not really thought of some of this.  And, cleaning is almost too easy with a piston.
View Quote

And like what was stated in the post above yours, the parts prone to failure are usually not proprietary parts.  Even gas piston AR15s are still AR15s.  They still use mil-spec bolts and firing pins, even cam pins and firing pin retaining pins.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#44]
the only piston uppers i've had iarr LWRC's and the only problem is the piston return springs in the m6a3 uppers, 3 different ones have suffered a broken spring in one and the other had a spring that collapsed.

in this pic, the top 2 springs are too short. i think this upper was over gased and i cut it down to 12" and left the gas port alone and it was fine after that. the bottom spring out of a 5.45 LW m6a3 upper....the uppers ran fine with the springs too. i just noticed the noisy piston rod. now i just carry an extra spring in the pistol grips.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree. For me and the type of shooting I do, the added cost and weight, and how often I clean my rifles, DI is just better for me. For me.  I had the Ruger SR556, which other than being heavy was a really nice rifle, and the LMT piston. Both were flawless and stayed clean but they was very little advantage at the end of the day for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
the only piston uppers i've had iarr LWRC's and the only problem is the piston return springs in the m6a3 uppers, 3 different ones have suffered a broken spring in one and the other had a spring that collapsed.

in this pic, the top 2 springs are too short. i think this upper was over gased and i cut it down to 12" and left the gas port alone and it was fine after that. the bottom spring out of a 5.45 LW m6a3 upper....the uppers ran fine with the springs too. i just noticed the noisy piston rod. now i just carry an extra spring in the pistol grips.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g397/krinkfan/lwrc_zpst08rfu3r.jpg
View Quote

At one point they had a run of defective springs from a supplier. I've never broken one or a spring cup, I just replace them every 5k rounds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At one point they had a run of defective springs from a supplier. I've never broken one or a spring cup, I just replace them every 5k rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats good to know. these springs are from 4-5 yrs ago.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Short barrel+ Suppressor...Piston.

Short barrel+ high volume/rate of fire...Piston

All else...DI.

IAR is silly.  A lighter SAW would have been better IMO.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Short barrel+ Suppressor...Piston.

Short barrel+ high volume/rate of fire...Piston

All else...DI.

IAR is silly.  A lighter SAW would have been better IMO.

View Quote

i know a kid that went into the Marines right as they were dropping one SAW gunner in trade for a HK416, arent there 2 SAW's per platoon?  he said the guys were't to happy about it. he wasnt even that thrilled to be issued an M4 in place of the M16A4. i think they had the choice and he took the M16.

i do enjoy the cleaner chamber of the piston but the front end weight kinda sucks. LW uppers arent light.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you don't mind me asking, when did you purchase your upper?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top