Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2016 9:36:26 PM EDT
All my experience is with DGI AR rifles. A friend just bought a piston rifle and asked me if he has to run it wet, I didn't know how to answer. Is it necessary?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All my experience is with DGI AR rifles. A friend just bought a piston rifle and asked me if he has to run it wet, I didn't know how to answer. Is it necessary?
View Quote

I would lube it like any other gun. Only difference is most of the carbon will be on the bolt and not the entire carrier. Cleaning will be wiping down the bolt and carrier/upper with ease, then running a bore brush and patches down the barrel.

Much less time and hassle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would lube it like any other gun. Only difference is most of the carbon will be on the bolt and not the entire carrier. Cleaning will be wiping down the bolt and carrier/upper with ease, then running a bore brush and patches down the barrel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to run a piston ar wet. I wipe the bolt and bolt carrier with a patch damp with CLP and that's iit. Next time I clean it the CLP is still there but the nice thing is it's still almost as clean as when I finished cleaning it last time. I will add that I don't shoot hundreds of rounds, if I did it might have a little more crud on it but I doubt it would be much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input. Looks as though it may not be necessary to run wet but won't hurt either. I know he isn't the type guy to have a high round count each range trip so he should be good to go as long as he keeps it clean and lived.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Clean and lubed not lived. Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. Looks as though it may not be necessary to run wet but won't hurt either. I know he isn't the type guy to have a high round count each range trip so he should be good to go as long as he keeps it clean and lived.
View Quote

Remember that lube still helped with corrosion resistance. There zero reason not to run a rifle without lube because to surfaces are creating friction, those heat and wear occurs.

If you don't run lubed the wear will occur at a quicker rate.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well there's wet and then there's WET!

A thin coat of your lube / gun oil of choice is really all that's needed with piston ARs.

A dousing is unnecessary as most all the heat heat and fouling is being kept forward of the BCG.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I run any new AR wet (piston or DI). The one time I didn't I had to take the bcg out and pour oil all over to get it to extract. After a few 100 rounds you can back off the oil. My piston builds were the same. It's better to have it wet then dry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Being that a piston gun doesn't $#!+ where it eats it doesn't burn off lube like DI guns do.  I'm a lefty shooting in a righty world and went GP to use grease.  I grease everything with Mobil 1 grease and change it out maybe once a year, and that's probably excessive.

Grease it and (almost) forget it.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top