Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2016 8:39:25 PM EDT
is your adjustment knob really hard to turn after a few hundred rounds? I have dismantled the gas block and cleaned it and the knob moved easily. I shot a couple hundred rounds and it was back to being difficult to move again. I disassembled again, cleaned again and used a very small amount of high temp grease and it was moving easily. I shot a few hundred rounds and back to being hard to turn. Is this just the way it is or can I do something about it? Different grease?

The gas plug is tough to remove from the block. I need to tap it with a brass punch to get it out. Please let me know your experience with this gas block so I can assess if this is normal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
is your adjustment knob really hard to turn after a few hundred rounds? I have dismantled the gas block and cleaned it and the knob moved easily. I shot a couple hundred rounds and it was back to being difficult to move again. I disassembled again, cleaned again and used a very small amount of high temp grease and it was moving easily. I shot a few hundred rounds and back to being hard to turn. Is this just the way it is or can I do something about it? Different grease?

The gas plug is tough to remove from the block. I need to tap it with a brass punch to get it out. Please let me know your experience with this gas block so I can assess if this is normal.
View Quote

I have one. It's just the way it was designed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess that's why it has flat spots so it can be turned with a wrench. I stuffed it under a 12.6" Midwest Industries SSM handguard and was hoping I'd be able to change the setting with the tip of a bullet, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess that's why it has flat spots so it can be turned with a wrench. I stuffed it under a 12.6" Midwest Industries SSM handguard and was hoping I'd be able to change the setting with the tip of a bullet, not so much.
View Quote

Haha I tried that same exact thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I can usually turn mine but it is hell to get out after shooting. I think the tolerances are so tight that with just the slightest carbon or grit, it gets stuck. I just get in the habit of cleaning that every time and coat it with Froglube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can usually turn mine but it is hell to get out after shooting. I think the tolerances are so tight that with just the slightest carbon or grit, it gets stuck. I just get in the habit of cleaning that every time and coat it with Froglube.
View Quote

Its the design of their system. I run a different manufacturer's piston system that is regulated and they hold tight tolerances and I can run thousands of rounds and still have no issues regulating mine....its all in the design.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the XLP system for a 10.5 and a 14.5 and they are both very tight. The 14 has a little more clearance forward of the hand guard so I can get a better grip. The 10 is a royal PITA.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top