Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2016 3:15:13 PM EDT
I've got a new Adams Arms Base Carbine. I've only been to the range with it a couple of times but I'm finding that I'm getting an occasional double tap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the gun at this point, I'm new to AR's and the trigger is light (which I like) so it's possible the recoil is causing me to pull the trigger twice and not realize it, if this is the case I'm sure the issue will resolve it self as I get used to the gun.
I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
sound like the disconnector spring install upside down.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sound like the disconnector spring install upside down.
View Quote

Sorry, but how would that cause just an occasion double tap, maybe 4 in 300 rounds or so?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It is VERY important to be sure you are pulling the trigger every time your rifle fires. It is possible that you are occasionally having a bump fire and that will improve as you practice and get used to your rifle. Do you have a stock trigger? If the disconnector is occasionally malfunctioning then you could be getting hammer follow and a double fire. This would need to be fixed ASAP. A malfunctioning gun that fires more than one shot per function of the trigger is a safety problem and a legal problem also. That is why is is critical to figure out exactly which issue you are having.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is VERY important to be sure you are pulling the trigger every time your rifle fires. It is possible that you are occasionally having a bump fire and that will improve as you practice and get used to your rifle. Do you have a stock trigger? If the disconnector is occasionally malfunctioning then you could be getting hammer follow and a double fire. This would need to be fixed ASAP. A malfunctioning gun that fires more than one shot per function of the trigger is a safety problem and a legal problem also. That is why is is critical to figure out exactly which issue you are having.
View Quote

The gun is absolutely stock. I plan on paying very close attention the next couple of range trips to be sure what is happening.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
In my nearly 21 years in the military (AF Security Forces LE/SS/CATM), the cause for the majority of unintended discharges wasnt mechanical, but shooter induced. What you describe seems to be the result of sloppy trigger control. Make sure that once you place your finger on the trigger, it stays there (after you initiate a course of fire). Once that first shot breaks, slowly control the trigger forward (reset) until you hear/feel a "click." A lot of shooters (new and old) have a tendency to jump off the trigger when the shot breaks, and even light recoiling weapons such as an AR can cause a second round to fire if deliberate trigger contact and control is not maintained by the shooter. Make sense? Try an online search of Marksmanship Fundimantals and you will likely find a better explanation than I can provide (I'm on my phone and I'm nursing busted and bruised ribs from a cycling fall).

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Please contact me ASAP. We wil address and correct this issue for you. Please email me at [email protected]

Cody
Adams Arms
Customer Service Manager
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please contact me ASAP. We wil address and correct this issue for you. Please email me at [email protected]

Cody
Adams Arms
Customer Service Manager
View Quote

Thanks Cody, received your email and responded to it with a question, also left you a voice mail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my nearly 21 years in the military (AF Security Forces LE/SS/CATM), the cause for the majority of unintended discharges wasnt mechanical, but shooter induced. What you describe seems to be the result of sloppy trigger control. Make sure that once you place your finger on the trigger, it stays there (after you initiate a course of fire). Once that first shot breaks, slowly control the trigger forward (reset) until you hear/feel a "click." A lot of shooters (new and old) have a tendency to jump off the trigger when the shot breaks, and even light recoiling weapons such as an AR can cause a second round to fire if deliberate trigger contact and control is not maintained by the shooter. Make sense? Try an online search of Marksmanship Fundimantals and you will likely find a better explanation than I can provide (I'm on my phone and I'm nursing busted and bruised ribs from a cycling fall).

View Quote

If you had read my initial post you would have seen that I said it was probably me causing the issue. As it turns out that may not be the case. I'm dropping it off at AA in the morning at their request for warranty repair so I'm guessing they have seen the issue before. At any rate I couldn't be happier with AA Customer Service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you had read my initial post you would have seen that I said it was probably me causing the issue. As it turns out that may not be the case. I'm dropping it off at AA in the morning at their request for warranty repair so I'm guessing they have seen the issue before. At any rate I couldn't be happier with AA Customer Service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did read your post, and I concurred with your assessment by providing a small narrative of my own experiences and observations (as you requested in the last line of your OP). You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
As a followup, AA repaired the rifle this morning. The found problems with the fire control group and replace it. They test fired it but I won't be getting to the range till next week to really test it
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm willing to bet they replaced the FCG out of an abundance of caution, any suggestion of a firearm malfunctioning in a double tap or machine gun manner is not something they can take lightly. As soon as they saw this thread they pretty much had no choice but to get it back and replace the trigger.

When you take it out stay very mindful of the trigger, remember good trigger control is to pull and not release, a good pull, keep the trigger to the back, then a deliberate release.The whole pull and release cycle need to be spread out or else you will snatch the trigger causing sub optimal accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet they replaced the FCG out of an abundance of caution, any suggestion of a firearm malfunctioning in a double tap or machine gun manner is not something they can take lightly. As soon as they saw this thread they pretty much had no choice but to get it back and replace the trigger.

When you take it out stay very mindful of the trigger, remember good trigger control is to pull and not release, a good pull, keep the trigger to the back, then a deliberate release.The whole pull and release cycle need to be spread out or else you will snatch the trigger causing sub optimal accuracy.
View Quote

Actually it turns out that this was a problem they were aware of and had seen it before. They had a batch that went out with this issue.

I should add that I've now got a couple hundred rounds down range without an issue. Since AA made the fix the trigger even feels better.
I can't say enough about the service AA provided me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually it turns out that this was a problem they were aware of and had seen it before. They had a batch that went out with this issue.

I should add that I've now got a couple hundred rounds down range without an issue. Since AA made the fix the trigger even feels better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they tell you anything more about how this "batch" went out with this issue, and what exactly the issue was?  i.e. assembly error, or out of spec FCG kits?  I suspect if you carefully tested your rifle, you'd have found that it fired once when you pulled the trigger, and again (sometimes?) when you let off the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have good trigger control , its the gun if not it's you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not that hard to test the FCG.  When I had this problem with mine, I was reminded of the instructions for the JP FCG I installed more than a decade ago in my first AR:

While holding the trigger to the rear, cock the hammer, which
should be retained by the disconnector at this point. Next, as slowly
as you can, allow the trigger to travel forward and observe if and
when the hammer reconnects to the sear. In most cases, it will not
function properly at this point, the most likely cause of which is a
failure to reset due to late disconnector timing. In other words, the
hammer is remaining attached to the disconnector, which may
require the modification described below. In some setups, the
hammer may drop all the way down without connecting to the sear
due to premature disconnector timing. This results in more than
one round being fired with one pull of the trigger, which is definitely
unacceptable. The hammer should release from the disconnector
as close to the end of the reset travel of the trigger as possible,
giving the impression that the hammer resets when the trigger
stops at its forward most position. Repeat this test at least eight to
ten times.
View Quote

If the hammer drops as you're releasing the trigger, the disconnector is letting it go before the sear has reengaged the trigger...and you've got an unsafe rifle/trigger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Like flphotog's rifle, mine just went back to AA (they covered shipping both ways) and they addressed its two issues (fire control group and bolt catch) and I've already got it back.  I couldn't ask for faster...it got there on a Friday, and it was back in my hands the following Wednesday.  I suspect they received it Friday, worked on it Monday, shipped it back on Tuesday.  I sent it in expecting to not see it again for a month or more.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it again yet, but AFAICT, they fixed both issues.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Like flphotog's rifle, mine just went back to AA (they covered shipping both ways) and they addressed its two issues (fire control group and bolt catch) and I've already got it back.  I couldn't ask for faster...it got there on a Friday, and it was back in my hands the following Wednesday.  I suspect they received it Friday, worked on it Monday, shipped it back on Tuesday.  I sent it in expecting to not see it again for a month or more.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it again yet, but AFAICT, they fixed both issues.
View Quote

Is there anyway to identify what the problems were? even if it's not happened on the rifle yet? Now it made me wonder about these issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top