Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 4:18:10 PM EDT
Has anyone pieced together their own lightweight piston system? I have an Ares kit that is collecting dust, so I figured I'd take a whirl at building a lighter weight and lower recoil piston gun.

The general thought is to use a lightweight carrier with something like an Adams Arms piston gas key, an adjustable gas block, a hollow buffer and stand back and see what happens.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone piecds together their own lightweight piston system? I have an Ares kit that is collecting dust, so I figured I'd take a whirl at building a lighter weight and lower recoil piston gun.

The general thought is to use a lightweight carrier with something like an Adams Arms piston gas key, an adjustable gas block, a hollow buffer and stand back and see what happens.
View Quote

The Ares Defense carrier is specifically designed to match the length of their Op Rod.  If you substitute someone else's carrier into the system make sure all the dimensions are correct for gas key alignment and Op Rod to key clearance.  The Ares system is a very short throw piston.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent point. I'll have to measure for any differences between the Ares carrier and my home ground lightweight one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a light weight piston kit 14.5 that weighs in at around 5 lbs 6 oz. It's about as light as you can go for a piston system with keymod handguard without putting carbon. Superlative arms kit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a light weight piston kit 14.5 that weighs in at around 5 lbs 6 oz. It's about as light as you can go for a piston system with keymod handguard without putting carbon. Superlative arms kit.
View Quote

What kind of hand guard did you end up going with? I was considering the BCM KMR but don't know if the piston is going to fit under the rail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a small update as parts tickle in over the next few days.

My gas key arrived today, so I was able to get it fitted up to my lightweight carrier.

As suggested, I did check out the differences in the locations of the strike surface on the carrier and found they are slightly different, so we'll see what happens with that and if I need to shave a bit off the front.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What kind of hand guard did you end up going with? I was considering the BCM KMR but don't know if the piston is going to fit under the rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the attached piston kit under a bcm kmr but I needed to sand down my screws slightly or it didn't fit without touching underneath.  I really like your setup.

Which strike key did you end up going with? I was thinking about doing it this way to shed some weight but I got hesitant because I heard they break off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I used the attached piston kit under a bcm kmr but I needed to sand down my screws slightly or it didn't fit without touching underneath.  I really like your setup.

Which strike key did you end up going with? I was thinking about doing it this way to shed some weight but I got hesitant because I heard they break off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used the Adams Arms key. There's a stud on the bottom that goes into the gas port on the top of the carrier that takes the force instead of the screws. I think the reason they usually break off is some don't have this stud and the screws can't take that much shear load.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used the Adams Arms key. There's a stud on the bottom that goes into the gas port on the top of the carrier that takes the force instead of the screws. I think the reason they usually break off is some don't have this stud and the screws can't take that much shear load.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/391/391745.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/391/391745.jpg

let us all know how it goes with that carrier. It's Faxon right? I was thinking about trying it with a v7 to carrier, but Faxon would be my next thought. Adams arms might even be good of I get a different op rod for the sup arms kit and sand it down just a bit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I manufacture bcgs, so the carrier is one of my own
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone pieced together their own lightweight piston system? I have an Ares kit that is collecting dust, so I figured I'd take a whirl at building a lighter weight and lower recoil piston gun.

View Quote

If you want to build a light weight piston upper just use this.....https://youtu.be/Cy5XLr3igaU
Mixing parts from one system to another can cause things to break, don't ask me how I know, let's just say I know. Be safe. The SA kit adds only an ounce or two over a DI build. Much lighter than any other system except for SYRAC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you want to build a light weight piston upper just use this.....https://youtu.be/Cy5XLr3igaU

Mixing parts from one system to another can cause things to break, don't ask me how I know, let's just say I know. Be safe. The SA kit adds only an ounce or two over a DI build. Much lighter than any other system except for SYRAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use theirs, but they don't offer a lightweight carrier. I do like though that they offer kits for different length gas systems.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would use theirs, but they don't offer a lightweight carrier. I do like though that they offer kits for different length gas systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you did say you manufacture carries.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I manufacture bcgs, so the carrier is one of my own
View Quote

Could you just lighten the Ares carrier then? If it works out well, maybe offer it as a service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Right? I'd pay for money for a lightweight piston carrier that weekend for the syrac and Superlative and setup.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Right? I'd pay for money for a lightweight piston carrier that weekend for the syrac and Superlative and setup.
View Quote

Well, I can certainly consider it once I get mine working.

My SLR gas block came today, now I just have to wait for Ballistic Advantage to send me the right barrel, so I can assemble it all to check for clearance issues with the KMR rail and the Ares piston kit.

Any thoughts on turning the gas way down when running my lightweight carrier and taking the weights out of the buffer?

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My SLR gas block came today, now I just have to wait for Ballistic Advantage to send me the right barrel, so I can assemble it all to check for clearance issues with the KMR rail and the Ares piston kit.

Ares still sells their piston kits??

Any thoughts on turning the gas way down when running my lightweight carrier and taking the weights out of the buffer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ares still sells their piston kits??

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do they still sell the Ares kit? I'm curious as to how much it weighs and what kind of handguard can fit under
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The Ballistic Advantage barrel finally came in today.

When I went to put everything together with the Ares Piston kit and the KMR rail, there were some major fitment issues. I'm either going to have to switch piston system's or change to a different rail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When I went to put everything together with the Ares Piston kit and the KMR rail, there were some major fitment issues. I'm either going to have to switch piston system's or change to a different rail.
View Quote

How bad was it? My Superlative arm kit fits perfect under the KMR. It's tight fit but doesn't touch. The clamp on version needs a SLIGHT dremelling to the screws to not touch the rail.

This is what I have on my 5 lbs 14.5 pin/weld lightweight piston with 13" rail.

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How bad was it? My Superlative arm kit fits perfect under the KMR. It's tight fit but doesn't touch. The clamp on version needs a SLIGHT dremelling to the screws to not touch the rail.

https://s31.postimg.org/y50kwdm1n/Lr_Mobile1005_2016_1014920074000191735.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The piston doesn't fit in the gas tube channel and the barrel nut would need some work to clear the op rod spring.

I might have to give the SA kit a try. Is there any noticeable reliability or recoil differences between the carbine length and the mid-length system?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The piston doesn't fit in the gas tube channel and the barrel nut would need some work to clear the op rod spring.

I might have to give the SA kit a try. Is there any noticeable reliability or recoil differences between the carbine length and the mid-length system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

honestly I can't really tell a difference. However I prefer the mid length. I'm using a Taccom 1oz buffer I hollowed out to about .9oz and a Wolff reduced power spring with the settings turned down. I called SA today and apparently they're going rk be releasing their lightweight piston carrier here within a few months (before end of year).
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How bad was the fitment and where did it occur? I was thinking maybe slight dremelling may help depending o. The clearance issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top