Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2016 3:35:56 PM EDT
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Taccom ULW buffer and spring? I'm thinking of pairing this with a Superlative Arms piston kit for my AR build. The SupArms bolt carrier ways 9.4oz and has 30-adjustment points so I should be able to dial it in for the light buffer. I'm looking to reduce felt recoil/muzzle flip and the Taccom ULW buffer/spring is just $10 more than a standard kit I was looking at and much less than other options like JP.

Also, the Taccom is available for carbine and Pistol length guns. I plan to build a mid--length gun so should I use the rifle kit or carbine kit?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a lot more to it than just buffer/springs if you want to minimize felt recoil/muzzle flip.  I use the Taccom UL buffer system + Whiskey Arms aluminum carrier in my 16" (rifle length gas system) carbine.  Muzzle brake is a V7. Gas block is SLR adjustable, 1/2 way open.
You need a good muzzle brake to keep the business end stable.  The lightweight bolt+buffer will minimize muzzle dipping during the forward cycle (faster return to battery without the need for heavy buffer spring and no excess kinetic energy, only enough to strip/chamber a round).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I plan to use the VG6 Gamma muzzle break/compensator, it is a hybrid and saw in some side by side testing was best for muzzle flip and near the top of the group for recoil. I know there are much lighter BCG out there but I'm going to use the SupArms piston kit and don't think I need to spend more on a BCG. I have looked at the whiskey arms and it is nice and a great price but I wasn't sure about mixing parts with SupArms being my first AR. Actually this raises a question, what is the difference between BCG for DI and Piston systems? DI needs gas running through it to direct into the chamber and Pistons don't. Does the BCG need to be modified to accept the piston rod or does it slide into a DI BCG just like a gas tube?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan to use the VG6 Gamma muzzle break/compensator, it is a hybrid and saw in some side by side testing was best for muzzle flip and near the top of the group for recoil. I know there are much lighter BCG out there but I'm going to use the SupArms piston kit and don't think I need to spend more on a BCG. I have looked at the whiskey arms and it is nice and a great price but I wasn't sure about mixing parts with SupArms being my first AR. Actually this raises a question, what is the difference between BCG for DI and Piston systems? DI needs gas running through it to direct into the chamber and Pistons don't. Does the BCG need to be modified to accept the piston rod or does it slide into a DI BCG just like a gas tube?
View Quote

Ever since a few years ago all the piston systems come with 1 piece tombstone Bolt carrier. They are NOT interchangeable due to variations in oprod length, rod diameter and tombstone placement. DI uses a gas key on top of its Bolt Carrier. Suparms kit should only be used with their carrier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the VG6 Epsilon. It's what I use in all my setupts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ever since a few years ago all the piston systems come with 1 piece tombstone Bolt carrier. They are NOT interchangeable due to variations in oprod length, rod diameter and tombstone placement. DI uses a gas key on top of its Bolt Carrier. Suparms kit should only be used with their carrier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could make other non one piece carriers work. I've thought about getting an Adam's arms strike key and replacing a V7 Ti carrier gas key with it. That would also require slight dremelling to the rod, which is cool because Sup Arms now offer it on their website. I'm not sure how it would hold up though with Titanium.

I currently use the full mass carrier the the Taccom buffer and a lighter recoil spring. My piston rifle at 14.5 length pin/weld is about 5.5 lbs in weight with all normal things you'd expect in a midlength carbine (adjustable stock, no plastic/carbon, 13" handguard).
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you notice a big difference in recoil and muzzle rise with that setup and have you had any issues?  It is similar to my plans.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you notice a big difference in recoil and muzzle rise with that setup and have you had any issues?  It is similar to my plans.
View Quote

It's noticeably less than a milspec buffer and spring. I expect it to reduce recoil once Superlative Arms releases their new lightweight carrier.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
When is that supposed to happen, this year or next year after shot show? I tried to email SupArms about it but got no response.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When is that supposed to happen, this year or next year after shot show? I tried to email SupArms about it but got no response.
View Quote

I always call and Tony is usually really good when answering. However he said before Christmas 2016 when I called last week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
i have the syrac piston kit which is almost identical to the superlative kit and i also am running the tac com 1 oz buffer and the 10 percent less buffer spring. the main reason i am running this setup is because i am running an 8 inch form 1 suppressor on my 10.5 inch 7.62x39 ar-15. this ar is very tune able and with the increase caliber size i could only imagine what it would do on a 5.56 rifle. with the lighter buffer and buffer spring and adjustable piston it shoots like a 223 or 5.56 almost no recoil and very easy to stay on target. comparing this set up to my standard 16 inch 7.62x39 are with stock everything, i would say the short barrel and all the improvements make it shoot great
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
That's good to hear about the 7.62, I hear the 5.56 feels like a .22 with the latest setup. The news about the end of the year for the lower weight SupArms BCG os perfect timing for me. I will be ordering an Aero Precision lower this week and plan to buy a few parts at a time.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top