Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And strangely I prefer LMT piston guns over all of those ^^^.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the LWRC system far better than the PWS/POF design.  

I am exactly opposite.
I prefer the POF design over the LWRC.

Simplicity, three parts and no spring.

Every time I look at an LMT piston gun I look at the weight and don't even bother going any further. Piston guns don't have to be so damn heavy. LWRC, LMT, Sig... Forget it. PWS makes nice, light, balanced rifles, as does Adams Arms. POF and PWS 308 rifles aren't super light but they're tolerable. I just don't know why a guy wants a 7.5 to 8.5 lb carbine before you start adding optics, mags, etc.

I know, I know, don't be a pussy. Preaching to the choir. I hunt with a 12+ lb 308 AR. And no, I don't sit in a tree stand or wait by the truck. I get my fat ass into the bush and go looking for deer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Every time I look at an LMT piston gun I look at the weight and don't even bother going any further. Piston guns don't have to be so damn heavy. LWRC, LMT, Sig... Forget it. PWS makes nice, light, balanced rifles, as does Adams Arms. POF and PWS 308 rifles aren't super light but they're tolerable. I just don't know why a guy wants a 7.5 to 8.5 lb carbine before you start adding optics, mags, etc.

I know, I know, don't be a pussy. Preaching to the choir. I hunt with a 12+ lb 308 AR. And no, I don't sit in a tree stand or wait by the truck. I get my fat ass into the bush and go looking for deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am exactly opposite.

i was think the heavy barrel profile on some piston uppers was to mitigate the vertical stringing. if thats even real. i recall a guy that had a LWRC m6 stretch with a thinner profile and he complained about accuracy. i've never had an LWRC shoot poorly but they are always boat anchors too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

i was think the heavy barrel profile on some piston uppers was to mitigate the vertical stringing. if thats even real. i recall a guy that had a LWRC m6 stretch with a thinner profile and he complained about accuracy. i've never had an LWRC shoot poorly but they are always boat anchors too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am exactly opposite.

I ran an Adam's Arms EVO Ultralight with pencil barrel for a year or so as my primary 3-gun stick.  It was a solid MOA rifle with no accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ran an Adam's Arms EVO Ultralight with pencil barrel for a year or so as my primary 3-gun stick.  It was a solid MOA rifle with no accuracy issues.
View Quote

Glad to hear that, I just picked up an ultralight evo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evo Ultra Lite Hell Yeah:

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

less accurate? boy are you green. i've an seen an older LWRC 18" DMR upper print sub MOA with SMK 77gr at 100yds and thats a nothing special barrel.

adjusting gas? wtf are you talking about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Piston if you SBR or suppress.  
Piston is more weight and less accurate.  I also don't want to mess with adjusting the gas.

LMT, PWS, SIG MCX would be what I'd look at.  Pay careful attention to how they are assembled, and the additional complexity.

My guess...Probably the biggest reason is because the US military isn't contacting for piston rifles.  Everyone else is small batch niche piston rifles.

less accurate? boy are you green. i've an seen an older LWRC 18" DMR upper print sub MOA with SMK 77gr at 100yds and thats a nothing special barrel.

My build with an AA setup typically goes under .75" with 69gr SMKs in front of Varget.  I really haven't tried building a ladder, it may be better than that but I'm plenty happy with it; that's 4.5" at 600yds, the effective range of the 5.56.  If I go further the Remmy 700 in 270WSM will reach out and touch 'em at near twice that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Piston if you SBR or suppress.  
Piston is more weight and less accurate.  I also don't want to mess with adjusting the gas.

LMT, PWS, SIG MCX would be what I'd look at.  Pay careful attention to how they are assembled, and the additional complexity.

My guess...Probably the biggest reason is because the US military isn't contacting for piston rifles.  Everyone else is small batch niche piston rifles.

I agree my piston is pretty accurate and another reason for Pistons other than for SBRs and suppressors is less oil needed
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone told me today that they are working on retrofitting a standard Ar15 with HK'so piston system.

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I run an Adams Arms carbine. I like getting a lot less gas in the face than I did with previous ARs. I also like that the innards stay a fair amount cleaner.

The weight difference is somewhere between nominal and nonexistent. Once you accessorize a rifle, that 2-3 ounces doesn't matter.

-shooter

View Quote

I agree, I also run an AA carbine. I have nothing against DI guns but cleaning the AA is an absolute breeze. Other than an initial issue that they fixed while a waited it has been absolutely failure feel.
I'm more of a 1911 and CZ pistol guy but if I decide to pick up another AR I could still go either way, will make that decision when and if the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
After what I heard about LWRC and what they did I won't buy from them again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you referring to? I know that there have been different iterations of the company over the years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Piston are here to stay. I saw the light after I purchase my LWRC. Just recently added a PWS upper to my collection. I am down to 1 DI gun now and don't even shoot it anymore. I only have it because it is a lightweight. There is so many piston manufacters now. As technology gets better and pistion guns get lighter I beileve we may see a shift away from DI in the AR platform.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
M27 IAR s a piston rifle, not sure how widespread it is in service.
View Quote

Marines. That's about it. Aso they rewrote what the SAW is and how it's functions in the plt. To the Marines the squad automatic weapon is no longer a belt fed light machine gun. Rather a Automatic rifle. And is used as a rifle man would use his rifle. Till things get close, then it's time to use the happy switch and lay the hate. Wear the saw is limited to automatic fire only. And theven m27 will have a  longer service life. Where you can switch uppers and lowers  out once they get wornout.

Where because the receiver on a M249 saw is stamped folded and welded. Once the rails are shot, the whole receiver is done. IMHO the m27 is a better platform that the saw.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you explain more by what they did?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Piston are here to stay. I saw the light after I purchase my LWRC. Just recently added a PWS upper to my collection. I am down to 1 DI gun now and don't even shoot it anymore. I only have it because it is a lightweight. There is so many piston manufacters now. As technology gets better and pistion guns get lighter I beileve we may see a shift away from DI in the AR platform.
View Quote

Ummmm.........no
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I was told from some people that keep tabs on the industry:

1) Quality control dropped

2) The people that made the company great from 2009-2014 got cut loose. Darren, AJ, Jesse, all fired and replaced. (Darren and AJ moved on to create what is now known as Kinetic Development Group)

"Whoever LWRC brought in to replace them, I don't know, but I was hearing from two dealers that they had to send a lot more shit back to the factory for fixing & repair because a lot of guns were out of spec" (Quote from the conversation we were having.)

4) They fucked over two longtime loyal dealers of theirs who brought in a lot of business. Dicked over Modern Outfitters and Leif.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Running a Black Rifle Arms upper in 6.8 SPCII.  Only 100 rounds through it so far, but seems solid.  I like how they took care of the carrier tilt issue, and I like how they set up their gas block adjustment in the CAPS system.  They also have low profile piston uppers for extra long rail lovers.  BRA can either sell you a completed upper with their barrel in 5.56, 7.62x39, and 300 BO, or they can build you one from your own barrel, upper receiver, bolt, and muzzle device in the previous calibers plus 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is that there is no standard, so the parts are not interchangeable. This will keep the DI systems around for a VERY long time. Maybe, someday there will be a champion in this VHS-Betamax conflict. But I kind of doubt it. The pistons may be on the rise, but they are far from having significant market penetration.

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Aside from the significant market penetration that is currently occurring.

Let me throw in some data scroll down to user list does not include local PD and SWAT for HK 416 users
And also there are other makers such as LWRC and FERFRANS to name two that have military or government contracts for piston guns.

Special Ops using HK 416
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The new Superlative Arms "bleed-off" adjustable piston kit seems to bring an advantage to the table if running suppressed. I did not expect this result but it makes the system quieter when running suppressed.  Here is my field test video if you want to see my experience with this system  
https://youtu.be/Cy5XLr3igaU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have both DI and piston rifles.

The differences seem negligible.

People who say DI doesn't work for SBR.

People who say you need prison for suppressed.

If you set up your rifle appropriately, it will work. One of the things that has prevented piston from taking over is the fact that there are different port sizes, and adjustable gas blocks available for DI rifles that allows you to customize your setup anyway you want.

The new Superlative Arms "bleed-off" adjustable piston kit seems to bring an advantage to the table if running suppressed. I did not expect this result but it makes the system quieter when running suppressed.  Here is my field test video if you want to see my experience with this system  
https://youtu.be/Cy5XLr3igaU

The future is already here! ..in the form of Superlative Arms new piston system.
Advantages over any other piston system:
1) By far the lightest. Even AA is not close. SA weighs a mere TWO ounces more. You can recoup that weight gan by running a lighter compensator and/or running a low mass bolt carrier. The Voodoo/AA Low mass carrier will work with the SA system with mods to the SA op rod. Spare op rods are cheap, BTW

2) Even LESS gas in face due to patented off gassing port

3) Significantly (audibly) quieter suppressor operation.

4) 30+ position adjustments. Even AA does not allow careful, precise tuning. Before SA, there was NO piston system that allowed precise gas tuning.

5) HUGE value. The cost of a kit can be found for as little as $261. IF you are doing a build that is only about $130 MORE than a comparable DI system with an adjustable gas block

I am not picky when I clean my AR. I rarely even touch the bore until I get a 2k+ round count. But I DO like a clean, CARBON FREE bcg.
My cleaning time (the next day) after a typical 250round session is an EASY hour of scraping etc for a DI gun.
Cleaning time for 250 rounds for a PISTON gun....FIVE minutes...but only IF I decide I might want to clean it!   Usually the clear gun oil on the BCG is just starting to turn a little brown.

YES, my DI guns all have the best NiBx coatings. No, they BARELY help in the bolt tail section. Scraping is exactly the same as a phosphated version. And my beautiful WMD NiBx coating discolors horribly and needs polishing all the time. Screw NiBx. I like a really slick nitrided finish better.
Give me a good NITRIDED BCG in a piston gun any time.

MORE Michael Bell video. Realize that SYRAC version is made by SA FOR Syrac and is identical in every way...except it does not have the patented off gassing port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYK_8oFcss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5XLr3igaU

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like a cool system. But too complicated. Who wants to mess with 30 different adjustments ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like a cool system. But too complicated. Who wants to mess with 30 different adjustments ?
View Quote

It's not as complicated as it sounds. You'd simply tune the gas setting to the ammo that you plan to shoot and only adjust it if you put a can on or switch to a more aggressive ammo type. It also helps towards reliability as you can open up the gas setting, as your rifle gets dirty, to ensure reliable feeding.

You wouldn't ever be bouncing to each setting, on a given range session, save to tune it the first time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's no different than tuning a DI gas system.  You start off at the bottom and slowly work your way up until the bolt locks back on the last round reliably, then you add a tiny bit more gas and lock it in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:22:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The problem is that there is no standard, so the parts are not interchangeable. This will keep the DI systems around for a VERY long time. Maybe, someday there will be a champion in this VHS-Betamax conflict. But I kind of doubt it. The pistons may be on the rise, but they are far from having significant market penetration.

-shooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-shooter

Very valid point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I`m talking about a standard issue weapon.  The  M110 CSASS and the Marines IAR aren`t  a standard issue weapon to each individual servicemen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistons were primarily a fad. But they are necessary in really short (<11 inch barrel length) SBRs. Also like 308 ARs there is no one   uniform standard. So the market will correct itself to 2 or 3 designs. I think Ruger, LMT, and possibly LWRC will be the players in the long term. If the .mil adopts a piston design though, all bets will be off

Looks like the .mil officially adopted a 7.62 pattern HK gas piston rifle. I don't think it will create the new standard though, too expensive of a rifle on civilian market.

I`m talking about a standard issue weapon.  The  M110 CSASS and the Marines IAR aren`t  a standard issue weapon to each individual servicemen.

The M27 almost completely replaced the M249 as the squad automatic weapon. It was not meant to be issued to every person... though there was some talk about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#28]
It looks like the French adoption news is officially true. That's 100,000+ HK416's to replace the FAMAS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It looks like the French adoption news is officially true. That's 100,000+ HK416's to replace the FAMAS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I have the same problem with the civilian offering of the HK416 that I do with the PWS long stroke system, the price.  The design and functionality is excellent.  But HK thinks you suck, and they hate you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Becoming non-technical
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top