Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2016 10:29:06 AM EDT
I can't say enough good thing about Tony and his company Superlative Arms

I too am doing my first piston build on a DI system, but on a LaRue Tactical Stealth 18" barrel being assembled with a LaRue 13.2 handguard to a LaRue stripped Billet receiver. I won the barrel in LaRue's 50 Days of Christmas contest last year, so I get to roll my own into a Stealth upper.

So called Superlative yesterday and Tony was the one who answered the phone. How many owners answer their their own phone these days?
I spoke with him at length about my LaRue build, and he requested I send him pictures with a ruler showing the location of the gas block shoulder. Seems the numbers I was telling him didn't match any of the standard length systems. He emailed me back the same day, and the LaRue's barrel will require a custom length rod.
He had me buy a rifle length system off his web sight, and when my LaRue stripped receiver comes in, I'm to send him all the parts to assemble the complete upper. He will then custom build me a system, and assemble it, get this, at no additional charge. Plus he still gave me the 20% military discount.  I told him that wasn't necessary because on the nature on my system.
Damn, now that's customer service.

All he requested is that I put the word out on the forum about my experience with his company.
I called LaRue today and had the stripped upper shipped separately, as the order was being held up waiting for some other things to become available.

So if you need real customer service with your retrofit piston systems, as far as I'm concerned, look no further than Superlative Arms.

I will post pictures in this thread as things progress. To start, this is what Tony asked I send him.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That's great customer service!

I am hoping to install mine under a Centurion Arms C4 10 inch rail. I think I read somewhere that the rear of the rail needs to be grinded down. Hope it goes well!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  I'll be building my piston kit around the 12" stealth that I picked up last year during the ToT sale!

Post some pics when you get it finished up!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you buy the clamp on or the set screw?
I've got a rifle length kit coming for my Larue Stealth barreled upper that I built last fall.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
snakeman48, have you had a chance to install it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you buy the clamp on or the set screw?
I've got a rifle length kit coming for my Larue Stealth barreled upper that I built last fall.
View Quote

I went with clamp on  because of the deep set screw holes already in the LaRue Stealth barrel.
LaRue uses a proprietary hole spacing, so I doubt the screw positions will allow proper gas port alignment with Superlative's gas block.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
snakeman48, have you had a chance to install it?
View Quote

No as I'm sending the parts to Superlative for assembly due to the fact that LaRue uses non standard gas block location.
See my picture in first post. Tony is building a custom length rod for the build.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
OK people, I sent all my LaRue Stealth upper parts to Superlative yesterday so Tony can assemble the upper and make a custom length rod for this. This is being done at Tony's request that I send everything to him. This way he will have the means to offer LaRue retrofit kits for a LaRue's system in the future off the shelf.

What's in the box

Closeup of the LaRue goodness

The barrel in the stripped LaRue upper receiver to assure things would assemble.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK people, I sent all my LaRue Stealth upper parts to Superlative yesterday so Tony can assemble the upper and make a custom length rod for this. This is being done at Tony's request that I send everything to him. This way he will have the means to offer LaRue retrofit kits for a LaRue's system in the future off the shelf.

What's in the box
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1680/25039552586_638e859893_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1672/24947769272_e6e00c7aaa_b.jpg
The barrel in the stripped LaRue upper receiver to assure things would assemble.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1719/24698246019_80db67f7ce_b.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's in the box
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1680/25039552586_638e859893_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1672/24947769272_e6e00c7aaa_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1719/24698246019_80db67f7ce_b.jpg

That's pretty awesome customer service...I've also had much of the same service from Tony.  It's worth noting though that the new Stealth 2.0 uppers and handguards are rolling out tomorrow.  I'll be picking up the new Stealth 2.0 upper and handguard combo to build my 12" stealth and SA piston kit.  Hopefully the piston will fit under the new handguard.

New Stealth 2.0 Uppers and Handguard: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/271636_So_About_This_BuildAR_List___UPDATE_PAGE_17.html&page=17

Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/AUSTINWFT/LT%20Post/Stealth%202.0_2.jpg_zpsdff2732g.jpeg

Okay, we took a vote and decided it best to introduce our new Stealth 2.0 upper/handguard chassis set for $399.00 to start off the 1st quarterly edition of the LaRue BuildAR list.

Stealth 2.0 Upper receiver in Keymod (shown above)  and a Stealth 2.0 Handguard, which will come in 2 lengths, what is shown in pics (good for 12.0" barrels) ... or a 2nd longer unit (2.5" longer, good for 14.5" barrels and longer)  Two colors - black, or gray (the color that is shown above).   Pick M4 feed ramps or Standard.

IT guys are working on the logistics, and yes, we should be done, but there's that little being swamped thing that got in our way.

ML

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
They need to make one for the Cry Havoc QRB (Quick Release Barrel) system.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]
This build using the LaRue Stealth rail has ran into some snags. The email I received this morning from Tony.

Good morning Snakeman,

There are a few things inhibiting the progress of the installation:

Please view images 1045 and 1049

Larue has pressed a plate to hold in the QD adapter.  The diameter of the plate will not allow the handguard to slide over the block if it was installed on the barrel.  The only way to accomplish the build is to install the rail first then slide the block down the barrel.  Note that with the clamp on version the screws hit the side of the rail.  The only option for this build is the solid set screw model which has plenty of clearance.

Please view image 1043

Larue has (3) dimples on this barrel with only (1) of our (2) set screws locating.  To accomplish this build we would have to drill into the bottom of the quad rail allowing the end user to tighten the single set screw.  It’s not ideal, but it will accomplish your build.

Moving forward I will not suggest this handguard for our piston kit.  It can be done, but there are so many other handguards on the market that you can easily install.

I am more than happy to drill this out to get you up and running.  Please let me know how you would like me to proceed.  Understand that your rail will have to be milled into and will not be in the same condition as it arrived in.  Minor surgery. Lol.  Give me a call when you can.

Best Regards,

Tony Russo
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Since the LaRue rail isn't going to work as planned, I spent a better part of 3 days researching quad rails that will work for this build.

I settled on the Samson Star 12.34 rail. Due to being a 2 piece design and and being a quad rail. I don't like M-loc or Key Mod anything.
I feel the 2 piece design will allow access t the piston assembly if needed without have to remove the complete rail.

Found one on Gun Broker, and have sent payment.
Samson is nolonger promoting this design in favor of the newer Key Mod Evolution rail.

I'm not going to ask Tony to complete this build, as I feel that is asking too much of him. He's got a business to run, and dealing with my problems is asking alot. So I requested he send my stuff back with the retrofit kit with a set screw gas block.

Tony said one of the set screw on his gas block lines up with one of LaRue's dimples already in the barrel.  I have access to a Bridgeport, so I will machine the second dimple to allow both set screws proper purchase. I have had extensive machining training in my day job, and have the tooling to complete the process. I just need a Bridgeport. Our shop is too small to afford one at this time.

STAR-R
The Samson STAR series is a two piece free float rail system for the AR-15. The two-piece design allows for installation without removal of any gas system or barrel components*. Compatible with any mil-spec barrel nut.
Overall Length: 12.37 "
Weight: 18.0 oz
ID: 1.34 "
OD: 2.18 "

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The Centurion C4 line also comes in a two piece design with rails.

I am hoping to install a SA piston under a 10 inch Centurion C4 rail next month.

Quoted:
Since the LaRue rail isn't going to work as planned, I spent a better part of 3 days researching quad rails that will work for this build.

I settled on the Samson Star 12.34 rail. Due to being a 2 piece design and and being a quad rail. I don't like M-loc or Key Mod anything.
I feel the 2 piece design will allow access t the piston assembly if needed without have to remove the complete rail.

Found one on Gun Broker, and have sent payment.
Samson is nolonger promoting this design in favor of the newer Key Mod Evolution rail.

I'm not going to ask Tony to complete this build, as I feel that is asking too much of him. He's got a business to run, and dealing with my problems is asking alot. So I requested he send my stuff back with the retrofit kit with a set screw gas block.

Tony said one of the set screw on his gas block lines up with one of LaRue's dimples already in the barrel.  I have access to a Bridgeport, so I will machine the second dimple to allow both set screws proper purchase. I have had extensive machining training in my day job, and have the tooling to complete the process. I just need a Bridgeport. Our shop is too small to afford one at this time.

STAR-R
The Samson STAR series is a two piece free float rail system for the AR-15. The two-piece design allows for installation without removal of any gas system or barrel components*. Compatible with any mil-spec barrel nut.
Overall Length: 12.37 "
Weight: 18.0 oz
ID: 1.34 "
OD: 2.18 "

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a stealth upper I built last year. I hate to say it but Im not a fan of the handguard. What a pain to install.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Been awhile since I last updated this thread on my LaRue / S/A piston build.

After Tony sent me the pictures noting the LaRue Stealth rail wasn't going to work, the project stopped on A/S end.
They just set my items aside and basically forgot about it.

On my end I received the Samson Star rail from the GunBroker seller and set it aside. I also looked a SLR Solo Quad rails. But they were out of stock. I did call them and was told the Solo Quads were in production and were at out being Anodize. They also confirmed that the Solo Quad would fit with a Superlative Arms piston retrofit kit. Since I already had the Samson rail, I decided to stay with it for now.

So then I call Tony and ask what's up with my parts? Yup, he confessed they were forgotten about. So I had him send them out with the a set screw kit, instead of the clamp on kit. Received my parts and went to work getting the barrel modified to accept the S/A set screw gas block. Didn't require too much work. All I had to do was setup the barrel in my magnetic V-block in my buddy's Bridgeport, and elongate the exiting LaRue spot faces .025" longer on the outside 2 holes.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#16]
With the gas block fitted, next was to start the assembly of the upper. So I arranged all the parts and did a mockup to get a feel of how this was to go together, and look for any issues. Well I ran into a snag, as S/A sent a Rifle kit, instead of a mid-length kit. So I sent an email to Tony with the same pictures posted below. And then followed up with a phone call. He's sending out the correct rod and a return label for the longer rod.

So with the mockup done, I started the real assembly, minus the rod. I didn't get too many pictures of the assembly, as I had to do some minor filing on the Samson lower rail attachment piece. There was some interference with the LaRue upper at the ejection port interface. Once I got that part fitted, I just go on a roll and assembled it, forgetting to take pictures along the way. If anybody wants detailed pictures, just ask. It's not to hard to remove the rail. Clearance around the set screw gas block is no issue. Plenty of room. I don't think a clamp on gas block would clear with out the cap screw problems other have ran into. Glad I went with the set screw gas block.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice pics, thanks for the update.  Can't wait to see how it runs for you
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]
in for updates~!~
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Well it's been awhile, but this project has finally moved forward. I had to wait 2 weeks for the proper mid length rod to come in from SA.
Bad thing is the day the rod showed up, my stamp came in for my SBR. I set the LaRue aside and completed the SBR. Pictures of it can be seen in this thread.
LMT/ARFCOM SBR

After that was done and test fired, I got back on the LaRue build. Picture of the SA gas block in it's final position using the modified LaRue dimples in the barrel I modified earlier.

Got the Samson rail all put back together and took some pictures showing the gas block clearance.

Got it all put together, and found out I forgot to order a bolt..........DUH!

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice build.  You should shoot the MOA challenge with it once it's finished.  I've found 77gr Norma shoots pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Lost another week while I got a bolt ordered, and it arrived and installed.

Then I set up the rod length according to SA's instructions. That resulted in the gas block's position different than what I done modifying the barrel.

Now the carrier sticks out the end of the receiver .030. I'm not going to reposition the gas block on the barrel, so I set the rod up in the surface grinder and remover .031 from the length. That effectually removed the radius from the end of the rod. I just re-radius the rod by hand on the surface grinders wheel and kept it cool by dipping it in water and working real slow as not to change the rod's hardness. All's well, and everything fit as designed. Gun cycles by hand, and will not close on my No-Go gauge.

Got it all back together Saturday, ready to test fire it. Except it hasn't stopped raining long enough to get it out side.
Here's a picture with the LaRue TranQuilo suppressor installed.

Picture of the range's back stop taken from my bedroom's patio door. Yes, it's raining as I took this........
Will update this thread when I actually get to run the gun.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice build.  You should shoot the MOA challenge with it once it's finished.  I've found 77gr Norma shoots pretty well.
View Quote

I got some of that ammo to try. But after I test function with M193, I'll try some of that and my 77gr. Federal Gold Medal Match
That is what LaRue used to shoot test groups before shipping all their 5.56 rifles.

For optics I will be using an extra Kahles K624 mounted in LaRue rings

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Where is the thread on the MOA challenge? Got a link? I know I've read it I just forgot where.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is the thread on the MOA challenge? Got a link? I know I've read it I just forgot where.

Here

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
My thread so I get page ownership................
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So have you shot it yet?
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes I shot it last weekend. Ran into a little problem.

It wouldn't extract, unless I used the charging handle.  tried 3 rounds.
Then took off handguards and found the op rod was not moving at all.  It seem when I received the gas block it was in the no gas position.
So I adjusted it the 4.5 turns, and reassembled the handguards. Went outside and it was getting dark.

This past weekend I was in Minnesota for the granddaughters elementary school graduation. Got back late last night.
Today I planned on trying it out and the roofing contractor finally shows up to replace my battered roof.
Can't do any shooting with them working right next to my private range. Tomorrow the roll off will be sitting in the range

So the new plan is this weekend, if it not raining. Can't believe it's this hard to find the time to shoot.  

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top