Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2016 3:58:06 PM EDT
I knew PWS was going to introduce some new product today so I called their offices. There is supposedly a new Mod 2 for the MK1 in 223. Details are a bit light but supposedly an ambi lower with some styling changes to both the upper and lower. There are some other upper changes as well but the rep wasn't too clear about them. It's not full line wide either. Starts with 16" barrels and will decide from there. Will the changes cascade to 300BO or to their MK2 line? Unknown at this time. The rep wasn't sure when the web site would be refreshed with the new information. It might not be until next week after they get back from SHOT and make final decisions based on feedback received.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Website refreshed. Lighter, ambi, new pic mod rail ( which is a kick ass idea) enhanced trigger, new ebt, 3 position gas instead of 4, extra milled receivers, different trunnion, BCM furniture, lancer mag.

Looks good. Maybe it'll cheapen up the mod 1 some.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree I like the rail idea!  Also the new buffer tube looks promising!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This was the year that I was gonna finally try DI guns again. But after seeing this, nah to hell with that.  I've got a mk220 and a mk114 upper on a lower I put together.  Lesson learned, I'm no gunsmith lol.  Anyways, seeing this has motivated me to add some toys to the family.  I'm thinking a pair of mk111 mod 2's would be perfect with silencerco specwar cans.  So much for saving for a house lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I just want the complete lower to come in around $500 or less.  And soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get why their site emphasizes the receivers being forged.  Mod 1 was forged too.

Was hoping they'd actually go in the opposite direction with gas settings.

Well, end of the day, it'd be nice if Mod 1 ends up cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
What did the previous MK16 weigh? I have one but do not recall seeing the weight anywhere. The new one is 6 lbs. 7.7 oz.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Trimmed it down some.  MK116 is 6 lbs, 13 oz.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I am debating between this rifle and the SR556 TD keymod. Which rifle would be the better suppressor host? I have shot various piston guns with suppressors, and have received plenty of noise and gas back in my face.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am debating between this rifle and the SR556 TD keymod. Which rifle would be the better suppressor host? I have shot various piston guns with suppressors, and have received plenty of noise and gas back in my face.
View Quote

There are plenty of opinions and personal experiences with piston guns here on the board. But the two particular rifles you mention are both too new to have been used much. In fact the newest PWS is just released and probably isn't even shipping yet.

With that said, I believe the best suppressor hosts are those rifles with a gas system that's more isolated from the upper receiver and bolt carrier. These styles help limit and contain fouling outside the upper rather than allowing more fouling into the action from an open piston housing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Trimmed it down some.  MK116 is 6 lbs, 13 oz.
View Quote

Thanks, I think the small weight loss is enough to be noticed. My next purchase will be a piston gun that is considerably lighter than the typical AR. Age and a shoulder problem being the motivating factors. I came across a thread days ago that mentioned the Barrett REC7 'Flyweight' 16" barrel. The model number is 13821 if I recall. It is advertised as 5.1 IBS. That has my attention.  Have you heard anything good, bad or indifferent about that model?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely, 5.3 oz less on the 16” Mod 2 isn’t trivial.  Of course, it’s even more significant if any of the savings is up front.

I’ve yet to see a REC7 Flyweight review since it was revealed at SHOT last year.  Haven’t seen or handled one in the wild either.

I’ve always wished PWS was reviewed more often but their coverage is almost BCM-like in comparison to what little info I’ve seen available for REC7s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Absolutely, 5.3 oz less on the 16” Mod 2 isn’t trivial.  Of course, it’s even more significant if any of the savings is up front.

I’ve yet to see a REC7 Flyweight review since it was revealed at SHOT last year.  Haven’t seen or handled one in the wild either.

I’ve always wished PWS was reviewed more often but their coverage is almost BCM-like in comparison to what little info I’ve seen available for REC7s.
View Quote

You are right. The reviews are not to be found. I would like to hear from a few owners of the Barrett Flywieght 16" to find out what they like or do not care for.
The low low weight puts it way up there for me, as my next purchase will be a lightweight gun that is easy to carry for extended periods if and when it is needed for such.
Roger that on the up front weight savings as that would be the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Any new news on these yet?

The only thing Ive found was that Prepper Gun Shop says (according to their website) that they are the exclusive dealers of the Mod 2 rifles.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a review but you can see where they cut weight (buffer tube, receiver, rail looks lightened too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvt2e6gWuMw
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
No forward assist?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No forward assist?
View Quote

A big plus IMO.

I have maybe 250K rounds down range in ARs and the few times I had a problem the forward assist did not help not once not ever!!

Not a big fan of everything ambi though. I know where everything is on my Mod 0s and Mod 1 and have no problem using them as is and this just adds places to activate things accidentally although that may be over stated in my ignorance but all in all I see one of the MK114s in my future

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A big plus IMO.

I have maybe 250K rounds down range in ARs and the few times I had a problem the forward assist did not help not once not ever!!

Not a big fan of everything ambi though. I know where everything is on my Mod 0s and Mod 1 and have no problem using them as is and this just adds places to activate things accidentally although that may be over stated in my ignorance but all in all I see one of the MK114s in my future

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No forward assist?

A big plus IMO.

Yeah, the only time I ever used my FA during a malfunction I actually made it worse LOL!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Most modern trainers teach to use the forward assist after chamber checking or during initial load although I believe the Army still teaches SPORTS.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most modern trainers teach to use the forward assist after chamber checking or during initial load although I believe the Army still teaches SPORTS.

View Quote

This is when I've used it.... and there have been two occasions I've had to chamber a round silently and used the FA to ensure I was in battery.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suspect the USMC is also still teaching it and...never used it once.

Looking forward to the gun. The rails look great imo and although ugly as fuck, am interested in the Zev trigger.
PWS is a stand up company with fantastic staff and customer service is excellent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a few PWS rifles. I feel like they jumped the shark with the mod2 skeleton receivers. New ratcheting castle nut is very cool and overdue. Picmod rail feels like it defeats the purpose of going to a keymod or m-lok rail. Meh.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Good interview re: Mod 2 with Stacey Nagy (PWS National Sales Manager).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMtzr1k3qM

If tl; dw here’s the summary (there’s more to the interview but I stuck to the Mod 2 relevant stuff):

Slimmer profile handguard (vertically and horizontally) - 2:34

Weight removed from front to back (claims between 6.5 – 7oz across the entire line) - 2:46

Most of the receiver scalloping is accomplished in-forge - 3:48

Separate steel trunnion is now aluminum extruded from the receiver.  Rail now attaches by cross bolt and is more easily user removable - 4:18

Picmod explanation - 5:24

Ambi controls, flared magwell, ZEV single stage adj - 7:48

PWS will focus on piston, Bootleg Inc (bootleginc.com) will be selling PWS DI parts - 12:05 and 47:19

Ratcheted castle nut system - 12:50pm

Went to castle nut to reduce weight and profile - 14:35

Bootleg will eventually sell picmod rail for DI - 16:03

Endplate/ratchet castle nut will be sold separately for those who just want to retrofit their current set up - 16:30

Mod 2 carrier is lightened and now nitrided, bolt is still nickel teflon but now polished - 18:04

Thoughts behind removing GB setting - 20:00 (and 53:20 somewhat)

300 BLK: (all pistol length gas), 5.56: MK107 (pistol), MK111 – MK114 (carbine), MK116 – MK118 (middy, whereas MK116 Mod 1 was previously carbine) – 22:10

Proprietary nature of PWS parts - 23:41

KNS pins currently not compatible - 27:30

Thoughts on using BCM stock and PG - 28:36

Mod 1 sales will be phased out as parts supply dictate (3-4 months) - 31:51
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Should I sell my PWS mod 1 16" for a mod 2?  Only got 500 rounds through the mod 1.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Should I sell my PWS mod 1 16" for a mod 2?  Only got 500 rounds through the mod 1.
View Quote

I wouldn't... I don't see it being nearly as big of a step forward as the difference between Mod 0 and Mod 1.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wouldn't... I don't see it being nearly as big of a step forward as the difference between Mod 0 and Mod 1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This^
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on if Mod 2 offers anything important to you.  Only you can really answer that.

I wanted more gas settings not less.  I find NP3 to be effective, so I liked the previous carrier better.  I like a FA.  Mod 1 hand guard already gets hot around the GB.  Now I wonder if it'll heat up even quicker.  I'm guessing but particularly the new 16" probably shoots even softer.

I’m a PWS fan though, so I still like talking about what they're doing.  Don't know that I need one but personally it's all subject to actually putting my hands on one and shooting it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a choice only you can make.  If it was a Mod1-114, i would of been interested if you were to sell it.

Just put it up in the EE, and it will sell. Not everybody will want the new Mod 2 gun.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Mod 2 looks amazing...  Everything they did are things I would have done,  given the option.

What's not to love about a keymod handguard that you can ALSO mount a picatinny accessory as well,  without needing to use a rail piece?  And without increasing diameter of the rail?   In fact,  decreasing the diameter?

I kinda like the skelotinized look,  I like the ambient controls,  I like the change to the buffer tube,  I like the weight savings.

Looks like a winner to me!  
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top