AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

8/32  low pro screws have a 5/64 driver, so it's bigger.

ETA: You edited before me. The one in my block is 6/32 which has a 1/16 driver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Keith

Was looking for a nice Lw titanium gas block. I ran into the Next Intent Gas block. Look what i see. One 8/32 low profile socket head screw.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/mhinvest70/IMG_20160325_105602.jpg?t=1458842382

You have one of those?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nope. Quick google search showed me what size the driver was.

I received my torx plus drivers today and tested the fit with the screws. My first impression is that it is the shit!! Very secure and should handle a LOT more torque (if needed to loosen after time) without stripping. I am going to try to make those work hopefully. I am going to test the low pro ones first outside of the block and see what torque they can handle. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it will happen this weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Keith

Was looking for a nice Lw titanium gas block. I ran into the Next Intent Gas block. Look what i see. One 8/32 low profile socket head screw.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/mhinvest70/IMG_20160325_105602.jpg?t=1458842382

You have one of those?

Nope. Quick google search showed me what size the driver was.

I received my torx plus drivers today and tested the fit with the screws. My first impression is that it is the shit!! Very secure and should handle a LOT more torque (if needed to loosen after time) without stripping. I am going to try to make those work hopefully. I am going to test the low pro ones first outside of the block and see what torque they can handle. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it will happen this weekend.

Definitely. I really want the low pro ones to work. I completely forgot since they use multiple screws, the torque is more evenly distributed between them.

The NI To Gas Block screws was found by mistake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You grinded all of the screws right? Or just the torque plus? Why did you leave the middle one as the stock screw? Also what did you use to file?
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I grinded all of them. I just put the old one there for a comparison. Used bench sander to file them down. Those torx plus screws are the shit!! Very solid driver system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You grinded all of the screws right? Or just the torque plus? Why did you leave the middle one as the stock screw? Also what did you use to file?

I grinded all of them. I just put the old one there for a comparison. Used bench sander to file them down. Those torx plus screws are the shit!! Very solid driver system.

It kind of looks like you used button cap screws.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I know I made a posting on what screws to use a while back. Button heads, as you know have a larger head.
The proper screw you guys should be using is Low Head Socket Head Cap Screws.

They are the exact same head diameter as the regular SHCS's that came with the gas block.
The low head will give you the clearance needed, easier to install, without modifications, and heads won't strip out the socket as easily, unlike button heads.

http://holokromefastenal.thomasnet-navigator.com/viewitems/low-head-socket-cap-screws/low-head-socket-cap-screws-alloy-steel

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The screw clearance problem you guys are having is why I went with the set screw gas block on my build.

My LaRue barrel has spot face locations already in the barrel for their DI gas block. To use the SA block I had to elongate the LaRue spot faces .025 to get dog point set screws to drop in. It helps I have access to a Bridgeport.....

I did the mill work last week Friday. I took pictures and will be posting them in my thread later this week.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The problem with that link is that that don't have 6-32 screws. 6-32 screws come with a 1/16th driver, which is small. Really small. I ordered some the Low heads from McMaster (Linky) and before I even reached the recommended torque values they started giving me that "stop, don't tighten any further" feel. I'm not saying I couldn't have reached the torque needed but I can almost guarantee you that if I ever had to remove them then I would be drilling them and using an extractor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know I made a posting on what screws to use a while back. Button heads, as you know have a larger head.
The proper screw you guys should be using is Low Head Socket Head Cap Screws.

They are the exact same head diameter as the regular SHCS's that came with the gas block.
The low head will give you the clearance needed, easier to install, without modifications, and heads won't strip out the socket as easily, unlike button heads.

http://holokromefastenal.thomasnet-navigator.com/viewitems/low-head-socket-cap-screws/low-head-socket-cap-screws-alloy-steel

The problem with that link is that that don't have 6-32 screws. 6-32 screws come with a 1/16th driver, which is small. Really small. I ordered some the Low heads from McMaster (Linky) and before I even reached the recommended torque values they started giving me that "stop, don't tighten any further" feel. I'm not saying I couldn't have reached the torque needed but I can almost guarantee you that if I ever had to remove them then I would be drilling them and using an extractor.

Mine Stripped. But I quickly used the stock socket head screws, tightened them on each side and then loosened the low cap head.   I'm pretty sure I can easily get the low head cap screws to work if I first use the stock screws to tighten around the barrel and then replace them one by one with the low head screws.

I ordered the Torx Plus. How much of the screw did you take off to get the desired height? Also did you loctite?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
So I'm putting my KMR over my kit right now and it is completely flush without filing down the screws. What torque weight did you guys use? I'm at 35 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome thanks for the report. Do you think I could use my low mass carrier from my AA kit instead of theirs?

I'm actually holding off on the.750 kit until they come out with the.625. Going to make a lightweight piston AR sub 6 lbs.
View Quote

I think "yes". ..but with a caveat.
Realize the AA/Voodoo carrier has a FLAT strike surface. The Syrac and SA op rods and carriers rely on a concave strike surface and a "ball end" op rod.

You could run an AA carrier two differnt ways
1) Have a machinist mill a concave socket in to the flat face of the low mass carrier that will match up with the length and clearance needs of the SA op rod.

2)This way you can DIY, but you will alter your SA op rod permanently. Note: you can always ask SA for a second op rod that you can keep as a back up for running the full mass
SA carrier.
The method would be to "face" the SA op rod with a slow moving Dremel or grinder. You do not want to get the metal surface too hot and change the temper.
You will need to run the supplied BUSHING in the upper if you choose this method.

I am 100% convinced either method would work reliably and permanently 100%.

I would not hold my breath for any low mass carriers from Syrac or SA anytime soon. Syrac has been talking about a low mass carrier forl OVER a year now. ....and zip on the horizon.

I would most definitely adapt the Voodoo low mass carrier. I am  quite sure that many have done this already but not bothered to post their results. There a ton of clever guys
that never post online about their accomplishments.

Want a .308/6.5 Creedmoor carrier that will work with the SA/Syrac system? POF has one that fits the bill. Some fitting would be required. But it would definitely work. Not it already has a concave strike face!

https://pof-usa.com/shop/upgrades-accessories/bolt-carrier-groups/bolt-carrier-assembly-p308/
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Realize the AA/Voodoo carrier has a FLAT strike surface. The Syrac and SA op rods and carriers rely on a concave strike surface and a "ball end" op rod.

1) Have a machinist mill a concave socket in to the flat face of the low mass carrier that will match up with the length and clearance needs of the SA op rod.

2)This way you can DIY, but you will alter your SA op rod permanently. Note: you can always ask SA for a second op rod that you can keep as a back up for running the full mass
SA carrier.
The method would be to "face" the SA op rod with a slow moving Dremel or grinder. You do not want to get the metal surface too hot and change the temper.
You will need to run the supplied BUSHING in the upper if you choose this method.

I would not hold my breath for any low mass carriers from Syrac or SA anytime soon. Syrac has been talking about a low mass carrier forl OVER a year now. ....and zip on the horizon.

I would most definitely adapt the Voodoo low mass carrier. I am  quite sure that many have done this already but not bothered to post their results. There a ton of clever guys

Want a .308/6.5 Creedmoor carrier that will work with the SA/Syrac system? POF has one that fits the bill. Some fitting would be required. But it would definitely work. Not it already has a concave strike face!

https://pof-usa.com/shop/upgrades-accessories/bolt-carrier-groups/bolt-carrier-assembly-p308/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome thanks for the report. Do you think I could use my low mass carrier from my AA kit instead of theirs?

I'm actually holding off on the.750 kit until they come out with the.625. Going to make a lightweight piston AR sub 6 lbs.

SA carrier.

I was thinking about just buying a different op rod and dremeling it down a bit. Then get a V7 Titanium carrier and install the Adams Arms strike key in it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I got one also- and BOY do I miss scraping the crap out of my bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
What bolt are you using? Will the PWS Enhanced Piston Bolt work with Superlative Arms kit. I know you can use a regular bolt with out gas rings but I would like to use the PWS bolt if it will work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been very interested in this kit since Syrac first posted about it. Then I read the thread on WEVO about the Superlative version and was practically sold. I think your pics and info may have just pushed me the rest of the way home. I'll be looking into this in a little while for my current build. Do you foresee any issues with the adjustments on this version? I kinda wish they made a non-adjustable model.
View Quote

I am 99% certain you can. It would likely involve permanently altering the OP rod of the SA kit from a ball-end to a flat end and carefully adjusting the length to fit. You nay even have to by a longer rod from SA and trim it which would be a great option. That way you can keep your original intact.
It seems to take years rather than months to come out with a Low Mass piston carrier for new companies.

I want to seriously look into adapting a Voodoo Arms (AA) low mass piston to fit an SA system. I an sure it has been done. But nobody ha bothered to publish HOW they did it. Lke I said, a simple op rod mod should work fine. It would need to be cut using slow speed SHARP tools so any heat treating was not affected. I would not worry about the tiny absence of nitriding on a modded op rod.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What bolt are you using? Will the PWS Enhanced Piston Bolt work with Superlative Arms kit. I know you can use a regular bolt with out gas rings but I would like to use the PWS bolt if it will work.
View Quote

The PWS Enhanced Piston Bolt will work perfectly with any piston system. It would be an ideal choice for an SA bolt carrier. I cant think of a better choice.

I would email them and ask them if the ejector and extractor springs are made of chrome silicon wire steel. If not...BCM for the extractor spring(CHEAP!)  and Tubbs for the ejector spring(not too expensive) . Make sure you re install the ejector roll pin with the split facing AWAY from the ejector shaft. That is a little known gun smithing procedure.

For about $30, I bought a jig to facilitate R&R of the AR15 ejector. It will come in handy over the years. I replace almost every spring with silicon chrome wire steel. If at all possible. Dirt cheap insurance. Even the US  Military who are usually waaay behind the times are retro fitting chrome silicon buffer springs in their M4 and M16's. Piano wire springs can fatigue significantly in just a few thousand rounds vs 500k to a MILLION cycles for chrome silicon.

Keep plenty of AR15 mag release springs available. Dirt cheap. Those springs are the EXACT spring used for the SA op rod. The EXACT spring. I would replace that spring often. If it does shatter, the gun will will still work flawlessly, but the op rod will rattle when walking with the gun.

Congrats on your choice of the SA which I think is THE best system in the world. I LOVE your choice in bolts. Perfect. Buy it., install it and love it. But like I said, take the little extra effort to use chrome silicon wire springs. It takes about 5-10 minutes tops to install springs that last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was thinking about just buying a different op rod and dremeling it down a bit. Then get a V7 Titanium carrier and install the Adams Arms strike key in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA carrier.

Getting the different op rod is given. You CAN do the strike key method. Four years ago..I bought a SMITH ENTERPRISES aluminum carrier which BTW is lighter than any Ti carrier. I removed the stock gas key and installed the AA strike key with plenty of RED loctite.

Well, the carrier worked fine. But NOTE that  I found NO difference in performance/felt recoil than any of my other low mass carriers. The BIG problem was that NO carrier designed for a DI system has those "skis" on the back of the carrier. Guess what? Those skis really DO prevent carrier tilt. NOT having skis will result in severe carrier tilt and erode the crap out of your buffer tube junction. Previously, I thought the "ski" thing was all hype. Just the contrary. I have never had ANY carrier tilt with a dedicated carrier for a piston system.

Now, you can buy a special buffer with a "tit" machined into it that will help. My advice? WHY? I think you are mad for paying HUGE $$ for a Ti carrier that gains you nothing and end up loosing stability. The wear on the buffer is a LOT...in just 500 rounds.  THEN you have to spend MORE $$ on a new special buffer, the AA key and risk having the AA key SHEAR OFF. That has been known to happen. On top of all this you are modifying the whole piston system. Also, when you go to a low mass carrier I suggest using the JP captured Spring system. I ruined TWO of them trying to adapt them to make my Smith DI  carrier not tilt so much. OUCH!

Dont do it, man. Dont go there. Just buy the Voodoo Arms (AA) low mass carrier. It is a WONDERFUL design, light, rugged, has SKIS,  with a great nitrided treatment AND a MACHINED IN strike key. Also, IF and when you want, you can install a JP Captured Spring buffer and still not have to worry about carrier tilt.   Take this from a guy who would have been looking at what you propose before I became much more experienced.

Been there done that. Big mistake. Lucky  my carrier only cost me $90.00. Unlucky(stupid!) that I ruined two JP captured spring systems.

That AA key USED to be the only way to get a low mass carrier in a piston system. Since then, Voodoo has come out with their EXCELLENT piston dedicated low mass carrier. Buy it. Use it. B happy!  :)
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Getting the different op rod is given. You CAN do the strike key method. Four years ago..I bought a SMITH ENTERPRISES aluminum carrier which BTW is lighter than any Ti carrier. I removed the stock gas key and installed the AA strike key with plenty of RED loctite.

Well, the carrier worked fine. But NOTE that  I found NO difference in performance/felt recoil than any of my other low mass carriers. The BIG problem was that NO carrier designed for a DI system has those "skis" on the back of the carrier. Guess what? Those skis really DO prevent carrier tilt. NOT having skis will result in severe carrier tilt and erode the crap out of your buffer tube junction. Previously, I thought the "ski" thing was all hype. Just the contrary. I have never had ANY carrier tilt with a dedicated carrier for a piston system.

Now, you can buy a special buffer with a "tit" machined into it that will help. My advice? WHY? I think you are mad for paying HUGE $$ for a Ti carrier that gains you nothing and end up loosing stability. The wear on the buffer is a LOT...in just 500 rounds.  THEN you have to spend MORE $$ on a new special buffer, the AA key and risk having the AA key SHEAR OFF. That has been known to happen. On top of all this you are modifying the whole piston system. Also, when you go to a low mass carrier I suggest using the JP captured Spring system. I ruined TWO of them trying to adapt them to make my Smith DI  carrier not tilt so much. OUCH!

Dont do it, man. Dont go there. Just buy the Voodoo Arms (AA) low mass carrier. It is a WONDERFUL design, light, rugged, has SKIS,  with a great nitrided treatment AND a MACHINED IN strike key. Also, IF and when you want, you can install a JP Captured Spring buffer and still not have to worry about carrier tilt.   Take this from a guy who would have been looking at what you propose before I became much more experienced.

Been there done that. Big mistake. Lucky  my carrier only cost me $90.00. Unlucky(stupid!) that I ruined two JP captured spring systems.

That AA key USED to be the only way to get a low mass carrier in a piston system. Since then, Voodoo has come out with their EXCELLENT piston dedicated low mass carrier. Buy it. Use it. B happy!  :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA carrier.

I'm considering it. However I'm already running an abti-tilt buffer tube by PWS. I run them even in my DI setup because theyre fluted. I talked to Superlative Arms a few days ago and the owner ensured me they will be releasing the lightweight buffer by then end of the year. I'm cool to wait.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Any word from Superlative Arms as to the weight of their lightweight BCG?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any word from Superlative Arms as to the weight of their lightweight BCG?
View Quote

Read one reply above yours.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw that, I was asking if they said how light will it be?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw that, I was asking if they said how light will it be?
View Quote

He said it would be 7.5 but he wants to reduce it to 6.9oz.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top