User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2016 8:39:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome thanks for the report. Do you think I could use my low mass carrier from my AA kit instead of theirs?

I'm actually holding off on the.750 kit until they come out with the.625. Going to make a lightweight piston AR sub 6 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been very interested in this kit since Syrac first posted about it. Then I read the thread on WEVO about the Superlative version and was practically sold. I think your pics and info may have just pushed me the rest of the way home. I'll be looking into this in a little while for my current build. Do you foresee any issues with the adjustments on this version? I kinda wish they made a non-adjustable model.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just seems simpler. One less thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That was actually one of the things I had in mind. I figure with a full auto carrier and a vltor A5 it should be fine. I was just concerned with something, no matter how unfounded, happening with the adjustment. Since I don't have a need for it, it had me wishing they offered a non-adjustable version of the block.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I got mine yesterday and got it installed today.  GREAT KIT.  Gas Block and Carrier were very smooth and no hint of tooling, super easy to install and the directions provided were very efficient.  Very happy with the purchase.

</a>" /></a>" /></a>" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been very interested in this kit since Syrac first posted about it. Then I read the thread on WEVO about the Superlative version and was practically sold. I think your pics and info may have just pushed me the rest of the way home. I'll be looking into this in a little while for my current build. Do you foresee any issues with the adjustments on this version? I kinda wish they made a non-adjustable model.
View Quote

You will not be disappointed at all with this kit.  I am VERY happy with my purchase and the customer service with Superlative Arms has been fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I was interested in the Syrac Kit, but I'm very interested in this since they have a set screw version of the retrofit block.
Did I see a coupon code posted somewhere in the last few days?

EDIT:
Found thread listing it.
Favforum16 was it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Could you do me a favor and take pics of the gas block from the front with the rail on? Pics of the top, bottom, and sides would be appreciated. Thanks!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got mine yesterday and got it installed today.  GREAT KIT.  Gas Block and Carrier were very smooth and no hint of tooling, super easy to install and the directions provided were very efficient.  Very happy with the purchase.

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00812_zpsxffrkl0a.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00813_zpsxkywuult.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00814_zpsk3cbnrey.jpg</a>" />

Could you do me a favor and take pics of the gas block from the front with the rail on? Pics of the top, bottom, and sides would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sure, so you want one looking down inside the handguard (that I understand) but you want one with the handguard on or off form the top and bottom?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was interested in the Syrac Kit, but I'm very interested in this since they have a set screw version of the retrofit block.
Did I see a coupon code posted somewhere in the last few days?

EDIT:
Found thread listing it.
Favforum16 was it.
View Quote

Share that code with everyone you know who's interested in a kit. I want people to know who this company is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks awesome! I just ordered one of the Sup Arms kits.  I emailed them with a few questions and Tony got back to me within minutes.  Pretty nice when companies respond on weekends. Will be installing on my 11.5 SBR to use with my Omega can.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hand guard on for all pics. Take all of them from the front. I just want to see the clearance from all angles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00812_zpsxffrkl0a.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00813_zpsxkywuult.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/DSC00814_zpsk3cbnrey.jpg</a>" />

Sure, so you want one looking down inside the handguard (that I understand) but you want one with the handguard on or off form the top and bottom?

Hand guard on for all pics. Take all of them from the front. I just want to see the clearance from all angles.

Between a crappy camera and the Bi-Pod  Stud getting in the way I was able to get a photo of the top and one that gives the side and bottom.  There is plenty of clearance all the way around even on the bottom.  Just for giggles I put a Keymod VFG directly below the gas block and there was still clearence." />" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, no worries about adding a Keymod VFG or Rail Covers.  The only thing that might cause a clearence issue is the Stud for the bipod but on an SBR you wont be using one of those.  Install was easy, just read the directions and it goes together easy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How did you get the gas block perfectly straight so it didn't touch? Just by eyeing it like the instructions say or did you have to put the hand guard on and test fit it a few times?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, no worries about adding a Keymod VFG or Rail Covers.  The only thing that might cause a clearence issue is the Stud for the bipod but on an SBR you wont be using one of those.  Install was easy, just read the directions and it goes together easy.

How did you get the gas block perfectly straight so it didn't touch? Just by eyeing it like the instructions say or did you have to put the hand guard on and test fit it a few times?

I used the bushing and spent a fair amount of time making sure the rod didnt bind. I aligned it by eyeball/close by eye and tighted the screws to 15in lb. Then I lightly tapped it into final positiin with a nylon jewelers hammer untill there was no binding no matter how I spun the rod. Also there is a small amount of play with the anti rotate tab untill you torque the cross bolts down.... What can I say I am an OCD perfectionist.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So when can we expect a range report?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the bushing and spent a fair amount of time making sure the rod didnt bind. I aligned it by eyeball/close by eye and tighted the screws to 15in lb. Then I lightly tapped it into final positiin with a nylon jewelers hammer untill there was no binding no matter how I spun the rod. Also there is a small amount of play with the anti rotate tab untill you torque the cross bolts down.... What can I say I am an OCD perfectionist.

So when can we expect a range report?

Depending on how my schedule/life play out either 26th, 30th or 31st this month are the next 3 days I am off and an indoor range is open. And yes I will let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a chance to take it to the range today. Everything worked flawlessly! The interesting thing that I confirmed is how the bleed off system works. If you turn the adjustment screw all the way clockwise it's shut off like any other adjustable.  Full open is 4.5 turns Counter Clock Wise from closed. Then you keep turning CCW past full open 1/2 turn to divert the gas out the bleed off until the bolt won't hold open. Then you turn it back 1/4 turn at a time Clockwise until it holds open again.

It took 7 rounds to dial it in, from there I didn't have a hick up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nice. Did you see I got mine installed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a chance to take it to the range today. Everything worked flawlessly! The interesting thing that I confirmed is how the bleed off system works. If you turn the adjustment screw all the way clockwise it's shut off like any other adjustable.  Full open is 4.5 turns Counter Clock Wise from closed. Then you keep turning CCW past full open 1/2 turn to divert the gas out the bleed off until the bolt won't hold open. Then you turn it back 1/4 turn at a time Clockwise until it holds open again.

No did you start another thread?

BTW since it was an indoor range I could only do a 100ft (33.3yd) zero but here is a shot of my best 10 shot group standing unsupported.  Now I just have to wait until spring to take it outdoor on a bipod.

" />
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

BTW since it was an indoor range I could only do a 100ft (33.3yd) zero but here is a shot of my best 10 shot group standing unsupported.  Now I just have to wait until spring to take it outdoor on a bipod.

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/20160131_171619_zpsr7wlb0ru.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b566/Captainoverkill/20160131_171619_zpsr7wlb0ru.jpg</a>" />

How noticeable is the gas bleed off?  I emailed the company and haven't heard anything back but I was wondering as I am a lefty and shoot with a "C- Clamp" grip and wondered about the excess gas being a problem for my hand.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How noticeable is the gas bleed off?  I emailed the company and haven't heard anything back but I was wondering as I am a lefty and shoot with a "C- Clamp" grip and wondered about the excess gas being a problem for my hand.  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It bleeds out the front. If you look at the small adjustment screw there is a hole to the side of it. I didnt have any problems but then again I have keymod covers on my rail.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I may have to give this a try. Shooting suppressed and left handed still sucks with my current adjustable gas block. The only thing making me hold off is having to send my upper back to ADCO to have the GB pinned.

How much gas would still be coming out using the piston kit, vs just the GB with bleed off?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Captain Overkill and ahrion,

Ten four!  I sent the company another email yesterday and when it asked me to verify my message or whatever, I realized my first one I sent must not have went through.  Anyways, Mr. Russo emailed me back and asked me to call him and when I did he was VERY open about the system and cleared up all my questions.  From what you guys and Mr. Russo told me I think that I was figuring alot more gas bleeds off than what actually comes out of the port.  He stated he has a LEA that uses them on full auto and their handguards don't get too hot and that's on full auto.  So I don't think I have anything to worry about.  Figured better safe than sorry!  Thanks for the input guys!  I'm pretty excited to try one of these out with the modifications they've made over the Syrac setup.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Good to hear! And quit posting so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Captain Overkill and ahrion,

Ten four!  I sent the company another email yesterday and when it asked me to verify my message or whatever, I realized my first one I sent must not have went through.  Anyways, Mr. Russo emailed me back and asked me to call him and when I did he was VERY open about the system and cleared up all my questions.  From you guys and Mr. Russo told me I think that I was figuring alot more gas bleeds off than what actually comes out of the port.  He stated he has a LEA that uses them on full auto and their handguards don't get too hot and that's on full auto.  So I don't think I have anything to worry about.  Figured better safe than sorry!  Thanks for the input guys!  I'm pretty excited to try one of these out with the modifications they've made over the Syrac setup.

Good to hear! And quit posting so much.

I have taken the "read more post less" quote to the furthest extreme.    

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#36]
WOW, this is a great looking setup, I am getting ready for my second build and would like to incorporate this system, didn't see any specs of the overall outer diameter of the gas block?? or I guess the "height" [radius since that is the clearance area that's critical]

is there a list of handguards that will fit?, I was thinking of using a SLR Solo m-lok handguard....it has a 1.3" I.D.

thanks

doug
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, I looked right over that pic on their page, but it looks like its almost 1.6" for that gas block......damn my luck

doug

***edit*** I just looked up the BCM KMR rail and it says 1.3 inside diameter as well, I might just be able to make it work.......

thanks again
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thanks, I looked right over that pic on their page, but it looks like its almost 1.6" for that gas block......damn my luck

doug

***edit*** I just looked up the BCM KMR rail and it says 1.3 inside diameter as well, I might just be able to make it work.......

thanks again
View Quote

When they say 1.3" inside diameter they are not counting the distance right under the rail.  That will add something to the ID.  Just make sure that the part right under the rail is wider than the .410" where the piston goes through the block.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

doug

thanks again
View Quote

Doug,

Hey I just found this on SLR's site.  You are in luck fella!

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=131
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Doug,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

doug

thanks again

Doug,

hey Thanks for that.......I am in.....

doug
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#42]
ok, I probably should just email superlative, but you guys seem to have all the answers and others might have this question also so here goes:

reading the install instructions it says to push the carrier forward [sans bolt] to locate the gas block [it will move just a bit] so I am wondering how this affects the [one] usually pre dimple in the barrel, will it not sit in that dimple so you can then mark and drill the second dimple?  I have done this on my two DI builds but since it indicates that the gasblock will move forward slightly before tightening I am just wondering if I will have to acquire a barrel that has no dimples and then after setting that dimension drill first one, then the second dimple?

thanks and I hope I am not offending anyone with my incessant questions  ;-)

doug
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When they say 1.3" inside diameter they are not counting the distance right under the rail.  That will add something to the ID.  Just make sure that the part right under the rail is wider than the .410" where the piston goes through the block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

doug

thanks again

^Correct.  You also have to make sure the upper channel of the rail is relieved enough to allow proper fitment of the gas block once it is installed on the barrel.  Case in point, my ALG EMR V3 could fit the gas block inside the handguard when doing a test fit, but when I installed the gas block onto the barrel and tried to install the handguard over the barrel nut, it would not fit without taking a file to the upper channel of the ALG EMR.

If you look closely at the handguards known to work with the SA/Syrac kits (BCM KMR, MI, etc...), you'll see that the upper channels of those handguards have been machined more than those that don't work without some modification (ie: ALG EMR).

It's also worth noting that I tried both the clamp-on and the solid version of the gas blocks, but the issue was the gas block height above the barrel, causing my problems.

I've since sold the EMR and looking at a CMMG RKM rail for my SA piston kit build.  I'll update everyone as soon as parts come in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
So I have a question for y'all.  What receiver extension are you guys using?  PWS, POF, mil-spec, A5?  I know the BCG has skids but I wondered if it still wore groves into mil-spec and A5 RE's.  I prefer to run A5's and hope it won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So I have a question for y'all.  What receiver extension are you guys using?  PWS, POF, mil-spec, A5?  I know the BCG has skids but I wondered if it still wore groves into mil-spec and A5 RE's.  I prefer to run A5's and hope it won't be a problem.
View Quote

I have the Vltor RE-10 (6 position version of RE-A5) and can say so far I have no noticible wear. Granted I only have about 200 rounds on it but am not worried.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have the Vltor RE-10 (6 position version of RE-A5) and can say so far I have no noticible wear. Granted I only have about 200 rounds on it but am not worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome that's what I hoped to hear.  I forgot to ask Tony that the other day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I emailed these guys , never heard back.....prob just busy, just wondering if they are going to offer the BCG in NiB or hard chrome maybe?  

thanks

doug
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I emailed these guys , never heard back.....prob just busy, just wondering if they are going to offer the BCG in NiB or hard chrome maybe?  

thanks

doug
View Quote

I wonder how a coating would hold up to the piston rod.  Where as it's currently a surface treatment that's not an issue.  You might try to call him if you don't hear back from your email.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wonder how a coating would hold up to the piston rod.  Where as it's currently a surface treatment that's not an issue.  You might try to call him if you don't hear back from your email.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

doug

I talked to Tony yesterday because I received my kit. This thing is freaking light, probably half the weight of the Adams Arms. I originally thought the piston rod was 416-R stainless steel, however he said it was an expensive and very hard and corrosive resistant steel, which needs a different process to be melonited.  He told me because I asked him why the rod wasn't melonited to begin with because stainless steel can be melonited. He said it is much stronger than 416-R. However I don't remember what kind of steel it is. I think he said it was HP something or other.

I'm sure you could MADBlack coat these and it would be nice, perhaps enhance functionality.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I talked to Tony yesterday because I received my kit. This thing is freaking light, probably half the weight of the Adams Arms. I originally thought the piston rod was 416-R stainless steel, however he said it was an expensive and very hard and corrosive resistant steel, which needs a different process to be melonited.  He told me because I asked him why the rod wasn't melonited to begin with because stainless steel can be melonited. He said it is much stronger than 416-R. However I don't remember what kind of steel it is. I think he said it was HP something or other.

I'm sure you could MADBlack coat these and it would be nice, perhaps enhance functionality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

doug

I was more wondering about a different coating on the BCG than the rod itself.  Where the rod appeared to be untreated or coated, I just wondered about a NiB or hard chrome on the BCG chipping.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top