Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2015 7:19:24 PM EDT
I currently am in a predicament. I can't decide if going the Piston AR series is the way to go. I already know all the pros and cons to a piston AR 15. The weight distribution, the readily available parts, the price tag etc etc.

I own an ARES Shrike AR15 (not the belt fed upper version) and it is piston operated. It has a lot of cool perks to it. Runs cool, rarely gets dirty, can take steel case ammo all day, it has a quick detach barrel, the heavy machine gun rated barrel, it side charges and is non reciprocating from the left side and it has a lot of nice rails for attaching things to it. Its super easy to clean and take apart.

The downside is the weight up front and that parts aren't as available as a regular DI mil spec AR15. I have to contact the supplier which in this case would be ARES. There parts are very expensive. My question is; Is there any piston AR's on the market that easy to fix if something was to go wrong? Readily available parts?

What does everyone think of the LWRC SP6 or the PWS MK114?
They have a different piston system. Would like some feedback off of experiences and what you might have heard or if you own any of these or if  you own something that has been with you and you've had a good experience with.

I posted this earlier today and they took it down for some reason? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The belt fed shrike or the HK MR556 Is about the only piston AR's I'd personally want to own. Other than those 2, I'd rather just stick with direct gas impingement.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The LMT piston gun is very nice, a little heavy but very nice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
That's awfully pricey. I spent less than that. No experiences with the pwsmk114?
Hkmr556 is quite expensive as well. Is there piston system any different than the shrike?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
osprey 416 drop in conversion after over 5 years and 6k rounds of all different kinds it runs 100% no tilt
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The Saudi's like the LWRCI piston guns enough to buy a lot of them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read many reviews about it. Apparently it can cause damage to the  upper, the buffet tube the way the bolt carrier rides back. I also heard that its durability after 500-1000 rds is questionable with charging handle and parts breaking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
PWS
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I currently am in a predicament. I can't decide if going the Piston AR series is the way to go. I already know all the pros and cons to a piston AR 15. The weight distribution, the readily available parts, the price tag etc etc.

I own an ARES Shrike AR15 (not the belt fed upper version) and it is piston operated. It has a lot of cool perks to it. Runs cool, rarely gets dirty, can take steel case ammo all day, it has a quick detach barrel, the heavy machine gun rated barrel, it side charges and is non reciprocating from the left side and it has a lot of nice rails for attaching things to it. Its super easy to clean and take apart.

The downside is the weight up front and that parts aren't as available as a regular DI mil spec AR15. I have to contact the supplier which in this case would be ARES. There parts are very expensive. My question is; Is there any piston AR's on the market that easy to fix if something was to go wrong? Readily available parts?

What does everyone think of the LWRC SP6 or the PWS MK114?
They have a different piston system. Would like some feedback off of experiences and what you might have heard or if you own any of these or if  you own something that has been with you and you've had a good experience with.

I posted this earlier today and they took it down for some reason? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
View Quote

Thank you for your business and we can help you with parts because everything is in stock and ready to ship including the belt feed kits if you ever want to convert. We also have both 12.5" and 16.25" lightweight barrels in stock (similar to M16A1 profile) with 4-position gas system to lighten the front end. Our pricing is a reflection of our quality commitment and  everything that we manufacture being 100% made in USA. There are $375 AR's on the market right now but you get what you pay for. Thanks again for your business!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Second the LMT. It is a little heavy, but built like a tank.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
PWS

10,000+ rounds through a 116 mod 1 and 3000+ through a 216 mod 1. Not a single problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my adams arms piston ar run great not much more than a standard.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I also went Adams on my builds. To mitigate the forward weight I went with carbine systems, then for balance I went with a heavier buttstock than I originally planned. Balance is directly over the mag well. I'm very pleased and would go with Adams again. I have no experience with other systems so I can't say if it's better than the others other than they have been very reliable and function very smoothly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Could have sworn I posted in this exact thread but then it went poof. There is a thread a range owner started on here that talks about piston AR's. I linked it the first time, dig it up, or somene else post it. Basically they are not as durable in his experience. And his firearms see WAAAAY more use than any of ours ever will, so I would say he has a good idea of what works and what doesn't.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top