Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2015 6:53:46 AM EDT
Certainly understand the necessity when using a carrier that does not have the fortified skids at the rear, but what about carriers that have the skids?

Would operating conditions play a role?  Such a rifle length system setup as a DMR where volume of fire would be reduced, would the system need the anti-tilt buffer?  Or how about a carbine length system with a much higher volume of fire, maybe a system with a higher recoiling  loads such as the 6.8 SPC?

Just trying to figure out when the anti-tilt buffers really improve performance.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a stag model 8 and it has very little wear on the buffer tube after years and thousands of rounds. thought about trying the buffer interlock tho
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
A/T's are only insurance. They're not needed if your system is running well.
Even when it is running well expect a little bit of wear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Like SKD above, my personal opinion is that the best thing to use in any piston AR is an anti-tilt buffer tube. However, I prefer the POF. The POF tube is cheaper than the anti-tilt buffers that I've seen, and the PWS tube. In addition to what SKD pointed out about the benefits of the lip on the tube, I'm curious exactly what you would have to do to take down a rifle with the A/T buffer extending inside of the bolt? Seems like it would complicate things, where the buffer tube solution can still simply pivot out on the front hinge pin, like we were all taught to do when we picked up an AR for the first time.

https://pof-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/p/2/6/26.jpg
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
My p415 came with a pws anti-tilt buffer tube and I switched to A5 setup and haven't seen any issues. I have ran the A5 setup with other piston AR rifles without issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
So I found a really good setup to remove carrier tilt. I coupled with Kynshot Hydraulic Recoil Buffer with Springco Red Extra Power Buffer Spring with Adams Arms Lightweight BC, and DS Arms Bufferloc insert ONLY (http://www.dsarms.com/p-14112-ar15m16-bufferloc-kit-includes-spring-detent-insert-for-your-carrier-and-special-dimpled-recoil-buffer.aspx). I also have the Reliabolt, pof rotating cam pin, and the magpul ubr.

The reason this setup works is the Kynshot works especially well with the Springco buffer spring, being that it is a heavy buffer. The great thing is that the Kynshot has a little dimple area where the DSARMS bufferloc insert can sit when inside the AA carrier. The adams arms has a little machinining to the end of the carrier prevent some carrier tilt, however it doesn't eliminate it all. This setup virtually eliminates any possible malfunctions that include carrier tilt and reliability.

I haven't had any malfunctions extracting or cycling. Only malfunctions I've had were when my buddy tried bump firing (primer struck but not fired). But that shit will ruin your trigger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Lube is your friend.  You're not belching crap into your receiver since you have a piston so grease the moving parts, as well as the spring, buffer, and BCG.  Couple of thousand rounds and inner tube wear  on mine is negligible.  I use Mobil 1 grease.  Silences the spring next to your ear as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No issues with my LMT MRP Piston. There is a lilttle bit of wear after a couple of hundred rounds, but evened out and now after 1,500 or so still no change.

I thought I would "need" one, but after shooting it, I'm comfortable with that rifle's stock set up and glad I didn't spend money on a change.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Totally forgot about the DSA dohicky........
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
most company's have engineered carrier tilt out of there Rifles & uppers. i would not worry about tilt in modern piston rifles
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The question in my mind now is "When/what are the modern piston uppers?" Thanks for any input, particularly on LWRC...
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The question in my mind now is "When/what are the modern piston uppers?" Thanks for any input, particularly on LWRC...
View Quote

Look for things with rails / skids / tracks / extended lips  on either the BCG or the inside of the spring tube. That's usually a sure sign of additional anti-tilt engineering.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I own a high round LWRC M6A2 (15000 rds plus) and a couple of moderate (2000-4000 rds) rd count SIG 516s.
No issues with any, all did however come with the OEMs later models anti-tilt BCGs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Been shooting a 2010 made Lwrc upper with no funky wear after around 2-3k rounds using a standard buffer tube setup
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an osprey 416 I use an H3 buffer been running the system 6 years no carrier tilt
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the process of building 2 AR piston SBR's

First, a LaRue registered lower with a LMT Piston 12'' upper.
2nd, a AR15.com forged registered lower with a LWRCi 14.5 unpinned upper. (might have ADCO cut this back to 12" at some point)
I picked up 2 PWS Enhanced buffer tube blems to help with any potential carrier tilt. Do i need to run the PWS tubes. Probably not, but I just wanted the extra insurance.

Link Posted: 12/27/2015 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
So how expensive is a new receiver extension tube??  $20.00!!!  Consider wear from carrier tilt a normal maintenance expense.  Here's what my Ares kit has done after 2000+ rounds.  No big deal.  No anti-tilt features here.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#18]
All current piston bolt carriers have some sort of anti tilt tech built in to them like "skis". The tech works great for the most part.

I did run into two  situations where I experienced horrible tilt and buffer tube wear. Only a few years ago there were no lightweight carriers being made by any piston kit companies.

I had an AA kit and very much wanted a lightweight carrier to go with my JP Silent Captured Spring and buffer. So I bought a JP low mass carrier done in a gloss QPQ black nitride (gorgeous!). I removed the DI gas key and installed an AA solid piston key along with grade 8 fasteners and a lot of red loctite. I never had any problems with that AA part even after many thousands of rounds.
http://www.adamsarms.net/piston-carrier-key

The rear portion of the JP carrier was totally unsupported. I saw fairly substantial buffer tube wear in only 400 rounds. Otherwise the carrier and captured spring worked GREAT together.

The fix was simple. A company called Slash's Heavy Buffers makes an anti tilt carbine buffer that took away 100% of my carrier tilt. Problem solved.
http://www.heavybuffers.com/antitilt223carbine.html

I used another anti tilt buffer for a rare ultra lightweight Aluminum bolt carrier I found made by Smith Enterprises. I installed that same AA solid gas piston gas key.
http://www.adamsarms.net/piston-carrier-key

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
So, I built an Adams Arms 7.5 SBR system.  I installed a "regular" (I don't even know the maker) buffer tube.  So, should I have used some sort of anti tilt tube or what?  Or, does the Adams Arms bolt carrier have already something built into the carrier for bolt carrier tilt.  I haven't fired it much, like around 100 rounds.  There is some finish wear inside the tube, but nothing digging into the metal.  

What should I do?  Leave as is, buy an anti tilt tube or what?  Thanks in advance.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top