Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2015 8:54:17 PM EDT
Any real negative effects doing this?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh? That's where they are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not following your question. Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the "Piston" section. Piston kits have you remove the gas rings from the bolt. That help?

I'd say remove them, it's just adding friction, the less friction the better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever draws back would be fairly irrelevant and minimal.

Look at it like this; if you're driving a car with run-flat tires, does it necessarily hurt to keep a doughnut in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I left them installed on the bolt in the Osprey kit I run. No problems at all with that 14.5" upper dedicated to FA blasting on a RR lower..
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The bolt springs back relatively easy so I will just leave them on.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's a piston retrofit kit follow the directions and take them off.  The rings cause friction and can prevent lockup of the bolt in a solid piston BCG by resisting the bolt spring.  Seriously, why not remove them?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a piston retrofit kit follow the directions and take them off.  The rings cause friction and can prevent lockup of the bolt in a solid piston BCG by resisting the bolt spring.  Seriously, why not remove them?
View Quote

Cause I am lazy......
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cause I am lazy......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause I am lazy......

Well allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Some piston manufacturers leave the rings on the bolt. Only remove rings if your piston systems manufacturer specifically calls for the removal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought an Adams Arms conversion. The installation video says to remove the gas rings from the bolt. I'm sure different manufacturers have different instructions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any real negative effects doing this?

TIA
View Quote

Generally no side effects. Actually helps to stabilize the bolt to a small degree.
I have a PWS upper, that bolt does not even have the ring groove machined.

Try with and without, see what works best for you.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top