Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2015 9:51:11 AM EDT
Ok, so I'm going to buy a pistol and SBR it or just buy a straight up SBR. I'm going piston because well I'm lazy, I shoot suppressed , I'm tired of cleaning for two days after going to the range, and no more gas face. So, what makes a short stroke(Sig, H&K, Leitner Wise) better than a long stroke (PWS)? Or do I have it completely ass backwards again? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
What I've gathered from reading is Long Stroke is more reliable, durable, etc. But with Long Stroke systems, you loose even more compatibility with standard AR15 Milspec components. Short stroke will give you more aftermarket options (rails/handguards, receivers, etc) but sacrifice some of the durability and reliability that comes with Long Stroke.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I am just relaying what I've read about the two.

Currenlty, I have 3 AR's, 2 of them are Adams Arms Short Stroke pistons, 1 is a Syrac Ordinance Short Stroke Piston. I like them both pretty equally, but the Syrac system is a fair amount lighter, and will fit under more handguards than the AA.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
i just read about the Armalite M15 piston, its long stroke, supposed to be even more reliable than short stroke, and great for suppressed.

been thinking of a bullpup...mmm

heres the article http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/gun-test-armalite-m-15-piston/#m-15-swmp-a15-field

The Armalite M-15 Piston was able to maintain its sub-MOA accuracy at 300 yards, producing five-shot groups measuring just over 2.7 inches with Winchester 69-grain Match ammo. The weather was certainly not conducive to shooting groups, with plenty of wind and rain, so these results were pretty impressive.

Attaching and removing the suppressor is easy. Properly installed, the Saker just does not come loose. The rifle’s accuracy was unaffected even at the longer ranges. Longer ranges will see more difference in the point of aim (added elevation). Adding a pound to your barrel has consequences—there’s no way to get around that—but just hold a bit higher or turn your scope knobs.

With the Saker suppressor, ejection became a bit less consistent, but the M-15 Piston remained accurate and reliable. On the square range, the M-15 Piston never malfunctioned, even during rapid fire. Running the trigger hard, it is pretty fast yet controllable.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally like the simplicity of the short-stroke piston.  I also know that if the world goes (further) to $#!+ I could return to DI should a broken SS piston gun need that to be made operational again.  

The LS units are fine pieces, but there aren't many out there, the parts are proprietary, and not everyone carries them.  I have AA pistons on everything I own, and they are all dead-nuts reliable.

What I'd really like to see is an AR LS system designed to directly utilize the AK piston.  Then it would be quite easy to find parts, and cheap to replace them if you had issues.  It would require a design to work around the standard AR upper, but I think it would be possible.  Can you say "best of both worlds?"
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
PWS claim that their long stroke offers lighter recoil impulse as well as reduced/eliminated carrier bolt tilt and therefore its related issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I have read, the H&K G36 /416/ MR556 short stroke piston design is one of the most reliable systems available anywhere.

I have seen some pretty insane torture tests done on these guns and can't imagine someone calling them unreliable.

I also remember reading about the "dust test" results from 2007 and I believe that the Scar, 416 & XM8 all performed significantly better than the M4 did.  So I guess reliability is relative to what you are comparing it too.  If comparing to DI then I would say that a well engineered and built piston system is extremely reliable.

I also think that a very good point was made earlier about long stroke piston gun compatibility with parts that would be readily available if the gun were to have a part breakage.

I am willing to bet that you would have more reliability issues as a result of magazine problems than you would between Long vs Short stroke piston system differences.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PWS claim that their long stroke offers lighter recoil impulse as well as reduced/eliminated carrier bolt tilt and therefore its related issues.
View Quote

They claim the truth. With their adjustable gas system you can dial it down to an incredibly soft shooting gun.  Much more so than my Sig 516 or PWS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome response guys I really appreciate it. Now to throw another pickle in the punch I started looking at the MCX! I'm screwed. I just need to buy three guns!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
PWS system is the best I have tried. My Diable MK107 is the only 100% reliable short upper I have ever tried.
Ran reliably out of the box with ANY ammo I have tried. From Tula, to Wold to mil-spec!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried 4 to 5 different Piston ARs but so far the best long stroke upper I have run is the ARAK-21 (not to say any of the others are bad). It is nice, but comes at a cost ($1200 to start).
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
The Armalite piston system is made by PWS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I came into one of the TNW piston kits a few years ago to tinker with. It worked really well. Just wasn't compatible with a lot of handgun rds and rails. Took it off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]
The OP question was "Short stroke or Long stroke Piston"?

The replies have been interesting but no one has even come close to the answer, which actually is... "it depends".

Big hint right there.

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a skeptic from a physics point of view and I don't think it matters or changes a thing.  Both reciprocate the same mass over roughly the same distance.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top