Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2015 9:11:08 PM EDT
Hey guys!

I love this gas forum and read it pretty much daily!

Can someone give the history of the gas piston systems?  Was POF the first with the AR gas piston?

Thanks,
SK
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys!

Can someone give the history of the gas piston systems?  Was POF the first with the AR gas piston?

Thanks,
SK
View Quote

If you want to get technical, the ar has always been piston driven

But the first external piston was a colt
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys!

Thanks,
SK

Cool! I did not know that. I wonder how well the rifle performed?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
So Cool!  

What about into modern times?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]

The first external op rod driven AR-15 was the 703. However the AR-15 has never been Direct Impingement, it was just universally called that incorrectly and it stuck. It has always been an inline piston system.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The AR18/AR180 was the first 556/223 gas piston driven rifles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

But its not an ar15, which is what thd op wanted to know about
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
See Colt LE6940P for their current piston offering. Fine rifle.

http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6940p.html
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://aftermathgunclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Untitled-1.jpg

The first external op rod driven AR-15 was the 703. However the AR-15 has never been Direct Impingement, it was just universally called that incorrectly and it stuck. It has always been an inline piston system.
View Quote

From the Armalite website:

"Based on what they saw in the AR-10, however, other Army officials asked ArmaLite to
develop a smaller version of the AR-10 in 1956. The ensuing rifle was called the AR-15.
Like the AR-10, it was a developmental model. Not only was it too late to be considered
against the T-44 and T- 48, it didn’t match the long-range marksmanship doctrine of the day"
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the first piston AR produced in large numbers is the T65 from Taiwan.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T65_assault_rifle
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, Thanks Melvin!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And it was originally designed using the same operating system as the AR-10 and AR-15. It was called the AR-12 before Armalite of the time(not the Armalite of today) sold the patents to Eugene Stoners operating system to Colt. Which then led to the development of the AR-16 by Stoner and later the AR-18.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe H&K made the first of the modern piston Ars ( post 1990s ) with the 416.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Another interesting footnote in piston guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Langendorfer
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The AR has been a piston driven rifle sense it was conceived in the 1950's.
Watch this promo video from ArmaLite and it will make it clear as a bright sunny day.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4ad_1237755001

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Watch this promo video from ArmaLite and it will make it clear as a bright sunny day.

View Quote

Video states nothing about being piston driven. As a matter of fact during the field strip demonstration the narrator states that no further disassembly of the upper is needed after breaking it over the lower.

I believe their use of the term "Gas Piston" throughout the video is quite literal ... as in the gas itself is acting upon the bolt as a piston would.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The first piston driven  ar-15 rifle for sale inside the united states was a  POF USA  .  Then followed by HK with the 416,  Armalite  and colt never made it to the market place even if they designed it first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't realize that HK was after POF!

POF is a short stroke piston like the HK I think????
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Video states nothing about being piston driven. As a matter of fact during the field strip demonstration the narrator states that no further disassembly of the upper is needed after breaking it over the lower.

I believe their use of the term "Gas Piston" throughout the video is quite literal ... as in the gas itself is acting upon the bolt as a piston would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the tail of the bolt is a piston
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The first piston driven  ar-15 rifle for sale inside the united states was a  POF USA  .  Then followed by HK with the 416,  Armalite  and colt never made it to the market place even if they designed it first.
View Quote

I guess you missed the Langendorfer post by Melvin_Johnson above....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those we're not AR -15 platform smart guy second  1959 Armalite/colt   is way before the B.S on  dickapedia   !    1975 Taiwan  and HK 1981.  OP wanted to know the history of the piston.  Another if dickapedia says so (lol)
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked for (part time) and was  friend of Walt Langendorfer. Walt's first attempt to get his patent for his Rhino device was rejected. What Walt did was go back to the US Patent Office and prove that his  buffer system in the Bolt Key for the piston rod was unique. The buffer was made of plastic and steel wafers in a new Bolt Key that Walt developed. The buffer system would absorbed the shock of the piston rod and not bend or brake. No other Piston Rifle Systems used a buffer system on their bolt carrier. Walt was awarded a Patent for his Gas Piston System for the M16/AR15 Rifle. I made many Rhino parts for Walt. When Walt closed up his shop in Lansdowne PA the clean out crew tossed 5,000 complete Rhino kits in the dumpster. Walt lost them all.

Dane

Quoted:
Another interesting footnote in piston guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Langendorfer
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those we're not AR -15 platform smart guy second  1959 Armalite/colt   is way before the B.S on  dickapedia   !    1975 Taiwan  and HK 1981.  OP wanted to know the history of the piston.  Another if dickapedia says so (lol)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must make lots of friends...
I was responding to the quote that I....quoted.  First, the Rhino was for the AR15 platform.  I am not sure how you could think that it wasn't.  Second, he stated that the first piston for sale in the US was the POF, and I remember that device when it was for sale back in the 80's.  I would have bought one if I wasn't a poor PFC and had no money nor place to keep one.  As for the others you mentioned, they weren't for sale.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top