Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2015 6:52:37 AM EDT
I'm building an upper with 20" barrel and I am seeking reviews on the Adams Arms "rifle length" piston kit.
I've read tons of other AA reviews but... I'm searching for those who have experienced this particular kit !!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Several years ago I put an Adams piston kit on a standard Hbar 20" barrel.  It ran just fine and accuracy was unchanged from when it was DI.  Recoil impulse felt a little different than DI.  Not better, not worse, just different.  

I have an Adams COR rifle now- it's their 16.5" rifle length gas piston gun.  It's taken a little break in to get it to quit short stroking, but is running fine now.  I use it mostly with a suppressor since the piston operation keeps the action cleaner.  

Other than a cleaner action, I don't know that they offer any advantages over DI, but they do work and tend to not negatively affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I built a 20" upper about two years ago using a GM barrel.  Accuracy is great.  The only issue I had for the first string of firing.  It would not cycle the Russian ammo.  I put brass ammo no problems.  I know that the rifle will work with Russian ammo.  It needs to be really broken in order cycle the Wolf, Tula, and Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments... I have heard that the piston systems are great for shorter barrels, and I may encounter some problems... mind you coming from people who never shot from a 20" piston AR.
I am looking to build something out-of the ordinary... and most of all, having a cleaner running rifle.

I'm new here at AR15.com and this was my first post after years of lurking around all the great comments/information in here.
Thanks to everybody for helping each other... this is a GREAT PLACE !!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built a 20" upper about two years ago using a GM barrel.  Accuracy is great.  The only issue I had for the first string of firing.  It would not cycle the Russian ammo.  I put brass ammo no problems.  I know that the rifle will work with Russian ammo.  It needs to be really broken in order cycle the Wolf, Tula, and Brown Bear.
View Quote

Same issue with weak ammo, short stroke on 18 &20" barrels.  Very light shooting. I recently built an upper with an 18" faxon barrel and AA lightweight bcg , works great.

Fatkid
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same issue with weak ammo, short stroke on 18 &20" barrels.  Very light shooting. I recently built an upper with an 18" faxon barrel and AA lightweight bcg , works great.

Fatkid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fatkid

Pics requested!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a 20 inch and like it very much, it is minute of man at 600.
Still working up a load for it. Can get .50 moa @ 100 now.
I had a minor fitment issue with the gas black hitting the front of
the handgaurd. I had a local shop open it up a little bit. It was caused
by barrel flip and was hitting just enough to cause a vertical stringing.
Now all fixed and running like a champ...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pics requested!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fatkid

Pics requested!

ill have to dig out my 18" photos but here is a 16.5" rifle gas setup that I am working with (AA lw bcg and buffer with weights removed; cycles in the half gas position)

fatkid
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an Adams Arms rifle length piston for my custom rifle. It has a 16.5" Voodoo Innovations barrel. The rifle fires beautifully. There were a couple small issues that had to be addressed for it to cycle properly. That was solved with using the gas block adjustment.

This is my rifle

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]

This is 18 1/2" 6.5 Grendel build with the AA low profile system in rifle length. I had to remove all the weights from the buffer. And watch magazines it does not like the 25 round magazine. I like the system well enough but have heard stories of cam pin wear, but I have not seen none yet. I doubt I have 250 rds. through this rifle. I have a bad habit of shooting a rifle once or twice and still carrying it but with the piston system I run a bore snake through if I just carrying and forget about cleaning the bolt group. This Rifle has a Les Baer barrel and does not shoot as well as my Mod 1 barrel but then again I have not tried a bunch of different loads. It will average an 1" with les Baer .264 ammo with 123 gr. match kings. And will do an 1 1/2" with Hornady 123 A-max loads. My Mod 1 6.5 sporter kit will do better so I was a bit disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I just built one up. I love the way it shoots. The recoil is odd compared to a normal DI 20" barreled rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top