Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 12:01:01 AM EDT
I have a new freefloat handguard on my Adams Arms piston AR, and it is in contact with the piston block.  I am wondering if there should be any clearance between them.  Am wondering if things get hot, will there be expansion and then force between them,  I have not had time to try it out, was thinking some out will know what is the case.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Touching = not free floating
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Touching = not free floating
View Quote

FPNI (yes, there should be a gap/no, they should not touch).
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, there should be a visible gap. Things vibrate when firing, and things ordinarily in close proximity can make vigorous contact and bend/dent each other.

If it's touching, it's definitely not free-floated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to dremel the handguard to have the benefits of free float. You have joined the club of all the people I know with an AA system and a FF handguard that covers the gas block. What rail is it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember the brand, the shop installed it and I never had the box, next time I open the safe, will check.  This rail does not extend over the piston block, it just touches the rear of the block.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Not every tube/rail works correctly with a piston system.    The factory AA upper I have is freefloated.

Adams Arms complete 14.5" MidLength Tactical Evo Upper with a free floating Samson Mfg. Evolution Series 9"-EX rail.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]

If you want a specific FFHG you have to get creative.  This is the work I did by hand on my Diamondhead HG.  It's close but you can get a business card in on all sides.  Little filing doesn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
No.
Touching = pressure.  
Pressure = applied off axis force
Applied off axis force = Decline in inherit precision.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top