Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 7:26:17 PM EDT
Hello all,
I just got my first piston gun and man is is this spoiling me. It's easy to clean, soft shooting and damn is it accurate and light! Now comes the hard part finding a rail that I like to work with it. I am a taller guy 6'3" and like to reach out farther on my rifles, I shoot them better and have more control I also like my lights in front of my FSB and this mid length moe hand gaurd is cramping me up. My question to you all with more experience in piston systems and clearances with rails. So far my hunt for something that will work is turning up nothing and I am turning to you all. I have found I like the two piece idea like the centurion because it seems to allow for easier cleaning that some of the extended tubes like samson. I am leaning in the direction to modify something to suit me seeing because this rifle will live with me for awhile. My idea is to get a centurion 12" and cutting out for the FSB on my midlength or something simillar with a DD omega rail ideas or opinions on this are welcome! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is what rail I put on mine. I love this gun/rail combo.

https://youtu.be/xBFOwJKsz4E
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I like that fortis alot and actually you were the first videos I watched the day I got it! thats awesome. I want to keep my FSB for the front sight as well so I don't think the fortis will work unless it was two piece.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Fortis does make a cut out version.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah but I really want some rail in front of the FSB.
Anyone know if the NSR will work with the LWRC stuff? This is what I am after here
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you are going to need to pick the rail you want and then figure out how to make it work. If you do then share the process with pictures and/or video. It is the "AR15.COM way".
Mike

mbell556
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought there were a few manufactured with that FSB cutout for this purpose...but I haven't looked that hard.  I'm guessing MI doesn't make an item like this or it would have already been mentioned.  They make about as many different handguard options as any one company that I've seen.  I did stumble on to this cheap one at CDNN the other day...but just looks like a cheap drop-in model, though it is aluminum.  Sound like some home remedy dremeling is in order.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/quad-rail-16-extended.html#.VSAJ0JV0ypo
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I found a bunch of carbine cut out but very few mid cut outs. mbell you have message, I need a question answered
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
On the SL, it's going to be hard to get a rail/handguard to work.  You might want to get an opinion from Modern Outfitters.  Give them a call and see what options they'd recommend.  Me personally, I like the SL the way it is.  However, I understand your need to extend forward as much as possible.  You may end up trimming the FSB, as is the case with the Fortis modification.  I contacted Rainier Arms a ways back and asked them about the Centurion and they said it wouldn't work without heavy mods.  

You might also check the LWRCI website (forum).  Guys on that site are always experimenting with their rifles and accessories.  In fact, one SL owner placed an M6A2 ARM-R rail on his SL.  He removed the delta ring, C-clamp and spring.  The ARM-R fits on the barrel nut directly.  This gave him a little more rail space and it looks to me that you could add a mount that would extend your weaponlight past the FSB.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you, I looked at there stuff and they make nice stuff work. I also saw where they went through the paces trying to fit rails on LWRC rifles and all of them put up a signification fight. I think I found one I am going to try, any input? I have my mind set up that I don't want a rifle that is different from what I like, I want my arms out with a light, very simple, and light weight.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/tyler-kee/gear-review-strike-industries-mega-fins-key-mod-handguard/
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you are going to need to pick the rail you want and then figure out how to make it work. If you do then share the process with pictures and/or video. It is the "AR15.COM way".
Mike

mbell556
View Quote

This.

Project time!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you looked at Black Dawn Guns?  http://retailbuild1.blackdawnguns.com/?product_cat=free-float-hand-guards

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Well fellas, after much debate we have a plan...
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=7&f=159&t=1406073
For fear of the gun being in reliable with an aftermarket barrel nut a fortis 14" will be going under the knife as soon as I find one used. Hold tight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Here we go...

I almost have it ready to assemble just need to grab a dowel rod and some sand paper to make room for the gas piston like mbell did. Did have to lose the bayonet lug and sling swivel to make it happen but over all, can't wait to shoot this thing with this rail and an aimpoint...so go buy my stuff so I can...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI to anyone thinking about this or something similar...those taper pins are like no other I have tried to remove, damn did they put up a fight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Figured I would wrap this up for anyone doing anything similar, got it complete and I couldn't be happier! Takes quite a bit of filing to make room for the gas piston but that is the hardest part of the job besides cutting a giant hole in your rail.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you access the piston system to remove and clean it with the rail?

The LWRC rail guns have a quick detach top rail to access the piston. The M6SL is the only one that does not. You just snap off the plastic handguard to clean the piston system.

I have an M6SL and and LWRC UCIW, so I have both types. While I would love to put a rail on my M6SL, the inability to access the piston has prevented me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I put longer taper pins in it to make removing the FSB easier and just 4 small bolts clamp the rail on. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you access the piston system to remove and clean it with the rail?

The LWRC rail guns have a quick detach top rail to access the piston. The M6SL is the only one that does not. You just snap off the plastic handguard to clean the piston system.

I have an M6SL and and LWRC UCIW, so I have both types. While I would love to put a rail on my M6SL, the inability to access the piston has prevented me.
View Quote

Great job DerekL. Looks very nice. As far as being able to clean the piston cup area, this system was designed to be self cleaning. This area should not need much maintainence. In my conversion using a Fortis rail, I shaved the FSB. I have about 1,000 rounds without cleaning the piston cup area, even though I have removed the hand guard for a follow up video. Removing the hand guard is easy if and when you need to clean the piston cup. My plan is to shoot the gun without cleaning the piston cup until it fails. Then I'll report on how many rounds it took to make it fail. At this point I do not think it will need to be cleaned. If you look at a mini 14 or M1A the piston area is fairly inaccessible and is not routinely cleaned. It is also a self cleaning design. In any event I will report on when/if the gun in this video fails because the piston cup was not cleaned.
mbell556

https://youtu.be/xBFOwJKsz4E
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#19]
bump
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#20]
derrr...cannot embed...derrrr...wtf.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top