Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2015 12:38:36 PM EDT
Looking to do something different and the Osprey Defense kit would fit the want.  1) it's a drop in kit, 2) I can remove it and go back to DI if I choose to.

I would also hope that the kit would still be usable with Magpul handguards.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of people here run them.  They appear to be pretty bullet proof,  Never had any issues with mine and have a few k through the tube.   The only negative that I have come accross was I was selling a gun and it was a bitch to get the front part of the piston out of the gas block.  Other than the poor selection of modern rails they should fit the new magpul hand guards with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Magpul handguard needs little work to fit with the OPS-416, apparently?

Found this archive thread with quick googlefu:  http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=126&t=473797

Doesn't sound difficult and at least any mistakes are 'cheaply' fixed.
The Osprey is a good kit. I've had no complaints with mine--other than the limited selection of compatible handguards.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I put one on a friends carbine i put together for him.  Its not swappable back to di unless you are using a MGI Hydra upper.  You have to drive in a alignment bushing inside the back of the upper where the gas tube would go.  Dont think you can remove it. It will fit under MI SS gen one hand guard with some work. To use with a free float you have to buy their free float op rod from them directly.  It runs grate on the gun i built. We got the NIB set and just spray with carb claener to clean thru the hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The bushing is removable with a pin punch.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been happy with mine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put one on a friends carbine i put together for him.  Its not swappable back to di unless you are using a MGI Hydra upper.  You have to drive in a alignment bushing inside the back of the upper where the gas tube would go.  Dont think you can remove it. It will fit under MI SS gen one hand guard with some work. To use with a free float you have to buy their free float op rod from them directly.  It runs grate on the gun i built. We got the NIB set and just spray with carb claener to clean thru the hand guard.
View Quote

That's incorrect - I moved my kit from a 5.56x45 build to a 7.62x39 build with a couple of punches.  No issues with mine at all.

For reference, here's what the inside of the upper handguard looks like after an unknown hundreds/thousands of rounds.  The little mound of carbon is where the edge of the cup the piston seats in.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Love mine
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]
For those using the Osprey system, are you using an adjustable gas block or not?  I'm Building my "Osprey" AR from the ground up.  I was told by the Osprey folks that an adjustable gas block would be a waste of money.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think you need an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]
No need for an adjustable gas block,  According to Osprey that is part of the design, when running suppressed the excess pressure is vented out the piston.  So it only uses what it needs to cycle the gun then vents the rest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
so for you all that replied - which handguards did you go with and what if any mods did you have to do. I have heard that AP Custom Rhinos oay be a decent fit with an ID of 1.77 for the 5.56 hg.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I asked that question to Osprey and they told me to check out Black Dawn Guns (Blackdawnguns.com).  I purchased their 12.5" free float and their low profile gas block for my mid-length build.  They say it fits w/o any adjustments.  I haven't completed my build as of yet, so I can't attest to the claims.  I talked to MI and they stopped production on their Osprey rails due to little demand.  I got similar answers from many other mfg's, so I found it a difficult search at the time.  Good luck.

Update:  Per Joe at Osprey, if using a mil-spec barrel nut, the free float op-rod is not required.  Therefore, no need for it with a Black Dawn Guns free float rail.  This is in reference to a statement made saying a free float op-rod from Osprey would be required if using a free float hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so for you all that replied - which handguards did you go with and what if any mods did you have to do. I have heard that AP Custom Rhinos oay be a decent fit with an ID of 1.77 for the 5.56 hg.
View Quote

FF hand guards you can use w/o any mods:
MI SS gen1
Seekins MSCR V2
Aero Precision looks like all have an ID 1.8"

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]

MI Piston Rail FF
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top