User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was trying to install my DBAL I2 on the Titan 415. It appears the railed forend is slightly out of spec. The spacing between the rails is too narrow for the DBAL mount. Looks like I will have to file some rail. Larue fits in with no play as do Surefire lights with the twist knob.
View Quote

After waiting more than 2 MONTHS for my 10" upper back in August, I discovered the railed handguard to be enough out of spec that it was seized around the barrel nut. I ended up having to pay a gunsmith to look at it. He ultimately took a rubber mallet to the handguard, yet it still won't come off or go back on without a significant amount of effort (it has been lubed quite a lot, too). My old-style HK416 front sight locked down perfectly on the top rail, but I'm too afraid of damaging the proprietary guard to attempt stretching the lower rail section apart. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Carbineer,

Had the same problem. It looks like the top of the rail that goes into the notch on top of the rail is a tight fit as well as around the barrel nut. I found a few spots of rust on the piston and on the gas block. My gas block is canted as well. Oh well. Live and learn. Shoot it and hang it on the wall when it's done.

The rail screw on my issued  HK 416 can be finger tightened and torqued down with the bolt lug. Not so with this. Need a 5mm wrench to get it off.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't think you were wrong calling the Titan upper a "knock-off" of the HK short stroke piston upper.  There are some aspects that are just that, a copy of the original design.  For instance the op rod assembly.  The one in your Titan went bad so the one from the MR556 was substituted and worked fine.  The things that HK patented like the piston itself, HK chromed and used gas rings.  The DI system also has chrome lining and rings.  Since the HK piston could not be copied the Titan has a fitted piston.  It is my understanding that the HK piston can be substituted for the Titan fitted steel piston.

There is also the Titan rail height, that is giving me fits.  It is my understanding that the top rail on the FF hand guard and upper receiver is 0.065" higher than the HK MR556/416.  Why, again my guess is that HK has patented that.  Yet a 416 hand guard will fit a Titan and the Titan will fit an HK.  I bought a set of used 10.4" 416 sights (the rear sight drum is different from the 14.5"/16" rear sight drum) so I could use the front sight on the HK rail.  I plan to make a custom rear sight base that is 0.065" lower that the 10.4" rear sight.  I'm tempted to bring the sights to a CNC machine shop and have them duplicate the front and rear sight bases.  But that is for another thread.

To me, "HendersonDefense" did not put the Titan upper down.  I think a "knock off" is a much less expensive copy of an original design.  The Titan upper is just that.  I have bought four Titan uppers for far less than the market value of one 416 upper.  If the creators of the Titan were looking to have their upper to rival the 416, it would have a steel barrel with a chrome lined bore.  But instead they used stainless steel.  Why, it would seem to me that is because it was cheaper to use SS.

This is not meant to be put down, but only getting 10,000 out of a MR556 barrel, just doesn't seem that unusual to me.  It is my understanding that cold hammer forged steel is a little tighter grain than a standard steel button rifled barrel.  A steel barrel is just not going to last like a chrome lined barrel.  Chrome is so much harder than steel.  I'd imagine if a plain steel barrel was purchased from the barrel maker that the business normally bought chrome lined barrels from, that steel barrel would more than likely last about as long as the MR556 barrel did.  

If the bore of the MR556 had been nitrided, I'd imagine that the range would have gotten more life from it.  That is why I want to get the SS barrels from the Titan uppers nitrided.  I have found that I tend to get what I pay for.  My 14.4" Titan uppers were $650.  A MR556 upper has a market value of around $1,500.  That MR556 upper plus $200 to get the bore nitrided, doesn't seem worth twice the money or use of a Titan upper.  I hope nitriding the Titan barrel will be worth while.  I'm also tempted to see about converting one of the uppers to use with 7.62X39 and a MGI lower with an AK magwell or maybe a chrome lined 5.56X45 barrel.  Again, that would be something for another thread.

It is my understanding that using a heavier buffer to "fix" over gassing can be that much harder on the op rod system/striker area of the carrier.  The piston system is designed to have a certain amount of energy to function.  If there is too much energy, an extra heavy buffer will slow the bolt group to prevent over function.  But like adding a turbo charger to an engine, if there is more energy in the engine, but the rest of the drive train is designed for a standard power engine, other parts of the drive train are more likely to break.  So if the system is over gassed (too much energy) the extra heavy buffer will absorb that energy, but the system to push the bolt group back to unlock the bolt, that was designed for the standard amount of energy, will be subjected to more energy. So the op rod or the striker point on the carrier can be overwhelmed and fail.  It would seem to me the whole point of the vent on the HK gas block is to vent excess gas to limit the amount of energy the piston receives and imparts to the op rod or the striker point system.  That is something I am looking into for my Titan uppers.  YMMV.

Scott
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Personally, I don't think you were wrong calling the Titan upper a "knock-off" of the HK short stroke piston upper.  There are some aspects that are just that, a copy of the original design.  For instance the op rod assembly.  The one in your Titan went bad so the one from the MR556 was substituted and worked fine.  The things that HK patented like the piston itself, HK chromed and used gas rings.  The DI system also has chrome lining and rings.  Since the HK piston could not be copied the Titan has a fitted piston.  It is my understanding that the HK piston can be substituted for the Titan fitted steel piston.

There is also the Titan rail height, that is giving me fits.  It is my understanding that the top rail on the FF hand guard and upper receiver is 0.065" higher than the HK MR556/416.  Why, again my guess is that HK has patented that.  Yet a 416 hand guard will fit a Titan and the Titan will fit an HK.  I bought a set of used 10.4" 416 sights (the rear sight drum is different from the 14.5"/16" rear sight drum) so I could use the front sight on the HK rail.  I plan to make a custom rear sight base that is 0.065" lower that the 10.4" rear sight.  I'm tempted to bring the sights to a CNC machine shop and have them duplicate the front and rear sight bases.  But that is for another thread.

To me, "HendersonDefense" did not put the Titan upper down.  I think a "knock off" is a much less expensive copy of an original design.  The Titan upper is just that.  I have bought four Titan uppers for far less than the market value of one 416 upper.  If the creators of the Titan were looking to have their upper to rival the 416, it would have a steel barrel with a chrome lined bore.  But instead they used stainless steel.  Why, it would seem to me that is because it was cheaper to use SS.

This is not meant to be put down, but only getting 10,000 out of a MR556 barrel, just doesn't seem that unusual to me.  It is my understanding that cold hammer forged steel is a little tighter grain than a standard steel button rifled barrel.  A steel barrel is just not going to last like a chrome lined barrel.  Chrome is so much harder than steel.  I'd imagine if a plain steel barrel was purchased from the barrel maker that the business normally bought chrome lined barrels from, that steel barrel would more than likely last about as long as the MR556 barrel did.  

If the bore of the MR556 had been nitrided, I'd imagine that the range would have gotten more life from it.  That is why I want to get the SS barrels from the Titan uppers nitrided.  I have found that I tend to get what I pay for.  My 14.4" Titan uppers were $650.  A MR556 upper has a market value of around $1,500.  That MR556 upper plus $200 to get the bore nitrided, doesn't seem worth twice the money or use of a Titan upper.  I hope nitriding the Titan barrel will be worth while.  I'm also tempted to see about converting one of the uppers to use with 7.62X39 and a MGI lower with an AK magwell or maybe a chrome lined 5.56X45 barrel.  Again, that would be something for another thread.

Quoted:I have no issues other than I need to get a heavier buffer to correct the over gassing.

It is my understanding that using a heavier buffer to "fix" over gassing can be that much harder on the op rod system/striker area of the carrier.  The piston system is designed to have a certain amount of energy to function.  If there is too much energy, an extra heavy buffer will slow the bolt group to prevent over function.  But like adding a turbo charger to an engine, if there is more energy in the engine, but the rest of the drive train is designed for a standard power engine, other parts of the drive train are more likely to break.  So if the system is over gassed (too much energy) the extra heavy buffer will absorb that energy, but the system to push the bolt group back to unlock the bolt, that was designed for the standard amount of energy, will be subjected to more energy. So the op rod or the striker point on the carrier can be overwhelmed and fail.  It would seem to me the whole point of the vent on the HK gas block is to vent excess gas to limit the amount of energy the piston receives and imparts to the op rod or the striker point system.  That is something I am looking into for my Titan uppers.  YMMV.

Scott

I put the vented HK416 gas block on my 14" TD415 upper. It improved the over gassing  problem. The gas block was very tight and required a little hand fitting. It eliminated  the bolt bounce I was seeing with military grade 5.56 and still runs the weaker Wolf 223 ammo very well. The upper can be seen in the video looking at the SJC compensator. The upper runs smooth and flat in full auto. mbell556 on YouTube
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone attempted to put an HK416 aftermarket rail on one of these?  

I know there's a height difference, but curious to see how well it would work.  

I saw SMGLee's photographs where the anti-rotation tab of the Geissele didn't match, but I suspect that wouldn't be too difficult a modification to make, all things considered.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anyone attempted to put an HK416 aftermarket rail on one of these?  

I know there's a height difference, but curious to see how well it would work.  

I saw SMGLee's photographs where the anti-rotation tab of the Geissele didn't match, but I suspect that wouldn't be too difficult a modification to make, all things considered.  

~Augee
View Quote

Hmmmm......Titan technology demonstrator......I'll figure it out. Just give me time. I'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Lee claims to have done it but hasn't posted on it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would be interested in, specifically, what issues you guys have had with Special Weapons? Or are you just repeating what you have read on the internet?

There would hardly be an HK clone market with the SW, Bobcats, Coharie, etc. clones.
View Quote

I bought stuff in 2007 from whatever company he was at the time for a UMP conversion. I paid for all the parts up front, only received about 80% of them. Is what it is I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of curiosity I looked on gunbroker and found one for $750, thought it would be neat but decided to ask Todd about my last experience and see if he would do anything... FWIW I bought from Top Notch parts in 2007, Todd claimed it was his brother who owes me money/parts and not him, and hes innocent and made me out to be a bad guy for accusing him of being connected.

I will just save up for a 2nd MR556.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I told him my idea about getting a MR556, he replied with telling me the Titan will go 100K rounds without cleaning.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one of the 10 inch uppers about a month ago, still has not shipped
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It took almost seven weeks for the two 10" uppers I ordered.  Keep the faith.  So far as I know, everyone that has ordered an upper has received it.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It took almost seven weeks for the two 10" uppers I ordered.  Keep the faith.  So far as I know, everyone that has ordered an upper has received it.

Scott
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

Same here. Took almost two months, and I received mine with a rusted/pitted charging handle and a handguard later discovered to be out of spec. The seller took care of the charging handle for me in a timely fashion, but I didn't feel it was worth my efforts, time, and any additional expense to get the handguard replaced.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a 16" on HK forums.. it was unfired in the box....it would not run..would jam up with 5.56.. chamber was out of spec.. reamed that... also cut the bbl down to 14.5.. and as for the GB you guys can drill them out, counter sink it then drill a .030 hole.. the metal is soft...or bring it to a machine shop....it cured my overgassing issue bigtime!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my 14.5 shot it once extractor pin fell out and had issues charging it due to a shity spec bcg! Got fed up cut it down to 10.4 and stalled a hk upper reciever, giesile 10 sand rail, 416d bcg, hk barrel nut. So basically the only thing td is the barrel
Runs flawlessly
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
So between all of that fallout...how much did those cost you to do that upgrade?

I'm happy so far with mines but just want the overgassing issue.

Really contemplating to just have it cut down from 16"....

It runs great just really want options.

I run a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
All I can say is alot. Hk parts are not cheap. But it is now my ho to gun. Love it and it runs so smooth. Big difference in quality in parts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All I can say is alot. Hk parts are not cheap. But it is now my ho to gun. Love it and it runs so smooth. Big difference in quality in parts.
View Quote

at what point would it have been more cost effective to abort and cut down an MR556 upper? I only ask because I have a 10 inch upper sitting at home waiting for me when I get back from AFG (gunbroker purchase) and am wondering if I have issues, whether it would be worth it or not to snag an MR556 upper and have investment grade firearms convert it for me. I got the titan of course because I wanted a clone gun and wasn't overly concerned about fit and finish, because other than throwing a set of diopter sights and an XPS-2 or eotech 511... its pretty much staying stock, as long as it works...

glad you got it working!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't mess with it until you get home and check it out would be my advice. Also, stay safe!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I hear bad things about cutting down a mr barrel due to the tapper bore. But I don't know from first hand. The Titan upper seems to be a crap shoot on quality. Not being able to charge the rifle with out the bolt getting stuck in the barrel extension concerned me,then the bolt coming apart while firing sealed the deal. No regrets
Wait till you get state side and look it over before you make hasty decision.
Stay safe!
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hear bad things about cutting down a mr barrel due to the tapper bore. But I don't know from first hand. The Titan upper seems to be a crap shoot on quality. Not being able to charge the rifle with out the bolt getting stuck in the barrel extension concerned me,then the bolt coming apart while firing sealed the deal. No regrets
Stay safe!
View Quote

No big deal cutting down the MR barrel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stay safe!
View Quote

thanks guys. I hate to be a worry wart, and I suppose there is not telling until I get back and check things out, but I cant help but stew. Has anyone had a good experience with the 10 inch uppers on GB? I felt like I had a good vibe on them but now I feel like most guys are having problems. I mean, it was about half as much going with the titan as opposed to modding a used MR556 upper... but now im thinking "buy once cry once"... I suppose we'll see, for all I know the thing will run like a top when I get back, otherwise it sounds like its going to be a hell of a project gun...

thanks again for all the input. fingers crossed until I can run it in January.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Gonna try my best and find a 416A5 gas block. It's impossible but I'm gonna try.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gonna try my best and find a 416A5 gas block. It's impossible but I'm gonna try.

View Quote

Just drill it out
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]
update..

gave to gunsmith to drill it out.

hoping for the best.

so its' .030 he has to drill out?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#25]
YES!!

Quoted:
update..

hoping for the best.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

thanks guys. I hate to be a worry wart, and I suppose there is not telling until I get back and check things out, but I cant help but stew. Has anyone had a good experience with the 10 inch uppers on GB? I felt like I had a good vibe on them but now I feel like most guys are having problems. I mean, it was about half as much going with the titan as opposed to modding a used MR556 upper... but now im thinking "buy once cry once"... I suppose we'll see, for all I know the thing will run like a top when I get back, otherwise it sounds like its going to be a hell of a project gun...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay safe!

Got the 10" version recently. Have 3 14" uppers. The 10" had me worried because the carrier was different (shape of skies) and there was a burr inside the barrel at the gas port site. However I did a single shot and took the upper back to the shop for cleaning and inspection and the burr was gone. Just went back out with friends and put the upper with my DIAS, used a H2 buffer and fired with Wolf .223 and M193. Ran like a top. Quickly became the "crowd favorite". I am putting a video review of the upper together. We were shooting MP5 and Steyr AUG and everyone wanted to get another mag for the TD415 10" gun. Not one single malfunction. Did a couple of mag dumps with 40 round PMags. Lots of fun. Excellent range toy and all for less than the cost of a BCG for one of the HK 416 uppers. Video to follow. mbell556
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I skimmed a little here and there in this thread and came across people mentioning having some issues here and there with the Titan D. uppers. I'm not sure if its already been mentioned here in the thread or not but for those who are not aware the parts that are currently being used to build these uppers are "left over" "run off stock / inventory" from what both Todd Baily and Mike Turner had on hand after they stopped making these due to whatever legal issues they had with HK about these. The quality on these will vary depending on when the uppers were produced given that when they were in production the quality was a lot better. Also during the time of when these were in production the barrel's came fully nitrided / melonite treated where as now if memory serves me right due to the parts being used to build these being left over stock the barrel's were not completely treated as it was during the time when these uppers were in production. A large number of the 10" barrel's for these uppers went to a member on the HKPro forums and he kept a few for himself I believe as "mag dump" barrel's for use in either his MR or actual 416 uppers then later sold the rest of whatever inventory he bought from Mike Turner to other HKPro forum members. I hope all goes well with the folks who did pick up these uppers as I myself debated grabbing one for a fun shooter but decided not to bother after thinking long and hard about as to how it would kind of "spoil" things if you will if you're really wanting or are after a true real HK416 upper. I'm also currently an hour half or two hour drive away from Todd Baily but rarely ever travel out that way where he's currently located but heck if I was going out in that area I'd see if he'd like to meet up and maybe go somewhere where I could handle one these uppers, though it also came to mind that it could also be in Mike Turner's hands and location given Mike Turner is who last had inventory of some of the parts for these then again I could be wrong and maybe Todd does have these at his current location.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention that I'm not sure if it was brought up here on the board but if memory serves me right these uppers were also being sold off dirt cheap not just because of the left over run off stock inventory these guys still had on hand but also because another company right here in the US was gonna be producing 416 clones and that those clones were gonna cost a good bit more so it was marketed as one of those types of things of a hurry and buy now for dirt cheap kind of deals. Not sure if the company ever came to fruit in producing the uppers / guns or if its still in the works but only God knows if whatever new guy will mess these up as bad as the Titan's are. Hopefully not and hopefully they do actually produce em so I can reconsider grabbing one of these cheap-o's for a fun gun if you will.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I should have bought one of these when I had a chance.  Can't find them anywhere now....
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I skimmed a little here and there in this thread and came across people mentioning having some issues here and there with the Titan D. uppers. I'm not sure if its already been mentioned here in the thread or not but for those who are not aware the parts that are currently being used to build these uppers are "left over" "run off stock / inventory" from what both Todd Baily and Mike Turner had on hand after they stopped making these due to whatever legal issues they had with HK about these. The quality on these will vary depending on when the uppers were produced given that when they were in production the quality was a lot better. Also during the time of when these were in production the barrel's came fully nitrided / melonite treated where as now if memory serves me right due to the parts being used to build these being left over stock the barrel's were not completely treated as it was during the time when these uppers were in production. A large number of the 10" barrel's for these uppers went to a member on the HKPro forums and he kept a few for himself I believe as "mag dump" barrel's for use in either his MR or actual 416 uppers then later sold the rest of whatever inventory he bought from Mike Turner to other HKPro forum members. I hope all goes well with the folks who did pick up these uppers as I myself debated grabbing one for a fun shooter but decided not to bother after thinking long and hard about as to how it would kind of "spoil" things if you will if you're really wanting or are after a true real HK416 upper. I'm also currently an hour half or two hour drive away from Todd Baily but rarely ever travel out that way where he's currently located but heck if I was going out in that area I'd see if he'd like to meet up and maybe go somewhere where I could handle one these uppers, though it also came to mind that it could also be in Mike Turner's hands and location given Mike Turner is who last had inventory of some of the parts for these then again I could be wrong and maybe Todd does have these at his current location.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention that I'm not sure if it was brought up here on the board but if memory serves me right these uppers were also being sold off dirt cheap not just because of the left over run off stock inventory these guys still had on hand but also because another company right here in the US was gonna be producing 416 clones and that those clones were gonna cost a good bit more so it was marketed as one of those types of things of a hurry and buy now for dirt cheap kind of deals. Not sure if the company ever came to fruit in producing the uppers / guns or if its still in the works but only God knows if whatever new guy will mess these up as bad as the Titan's are. Hopefully not and hopefully they do actually produce em so I can reconsider grabbing one of these cheap-o's for a fun gun if you will.
View Quote

Would be great if whoever was supposedly making a clone was still at it. Would like a receiver height that's actually compatible with the Geissele or any other aftermarket modular rail.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
update..

hoping for the best.

View Quote

Well... howd it go?!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I put a video review together for my recently acquired 10"  TD415. Also had a discussion with Todd Baily about the receivers he is putting together with the left over parts. I wanted to get a feel for what the future holds for HK416 clones. The new Gen2 TD 416 uppers are being machined now. The height has been lowered to the original HK416 height. According to Todd he sold the rights and another company is building the Gen 2 uppers. Will be marketed through Adam at HKParts.net. Actually have a post on HKParts.net for the new Gen 2 (not available, but is posted) There will be 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout uppers as well. I know Todd has gotten a lot of people upset but my TD 415 10" upper runs flawlessly. The new Gen 2 should be nice and they will offer keymod and m-lock hand guards. Todd says he has sold the rights and another company will continue to supply the new and improved HK416 clone.

Here is my video review. I have nothing to do with either the old or new manufactures of the Titan Defense uppers, other than being a customer of the gen 1 and will probably try out the Gen 2 when available

https://youtu.be/N9GJRr-isu0
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#32]
We finally wore one out to the point where it wouldn't function properly. I grabbed the other upper from my second vault and IIRC, the bolt was not the same as the first. I will find out what we had to replace to get it back on the line but it took some work.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#33]
My funsmith didn't do it....

He put on his cans and tried it out and he put my can back on and tried it out and it's not gassy as before.

I'm using a gasbuster and using 55 and 62 grain ammo...nothing special....just the LC stuff.

Not as gassy as before....

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My funsmith didn't do it....

He put on his cans and tried it out and he put my can back on and tried it out and it's not gassy as before.

I'm using a gasbuster and using 55 and 62 grain ammo...nothing special....just the LC stuff.

Not as gassy as before....

View Quote

Tums or Rolaids?

I went with a really heavy buffer to get it ejecting at 3-4 o'clock pattern
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#35]
It's gassy dude.....

it needs

NOGAS..
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well I put a video review together for my recently acquired 10"  TD415. Also had a discussion with Todd Baily about the receivers he is putting together with the left over parts. I wanted to get a feel for what the future holds for HK416 clones. The new Gen2 TD 416 uppers are being machined now. The height has been lowered to the original HK416 height. According to Todd he sold the rights and another company is building the Gen 2 uppers. Will be marketed through Adam at HKParts.net. Actually have a post on HKParts.net for the new Gen 2 (not available, but is posted) There will be 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout uppers as well. I know Todd has gotten a lot of people upset but my TD 415 10" upper runs flawlessly. The new Gen 2 should be nice and they will offer keymod and m-lock hand guards. Todd says he has sold the rights and another company will continue to supply the new and improved HK416 clone.

Here is my video review. I have nothing to do with either the old or new manufactures of the Titan Defense uppers, other than being a customer of the gen 1 and will probably try out the Gen 2 when available

https://youtu.be/N9GJRr-isu0
View Quote
I really hope this happens and isn't vaporware.  The one thing that really bugged me was the rail height difference on the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

We finally wore one out to the point where it wouldn't function properly. I grabbed the other upper from my second vault and IIRC, the bolt was not the same as the first. I will find out what we had to replace to get it back on the line but it took some work.

V/R

Ron
View Quote
Interesting.  Also, what wore out and approx. round count on the upper that quit functioning?  Guessing the bolt, as you stated in the 2nd sentence.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#38]
The problem if it is a broken bolt lug is the MR556 BCG, while it will fit and function in the TD415. the bolt carrier is semi auto. That just won't do at Battlefield Vegas. The bolt heads are not interchangeable. The German HK416 BCG will cost more than and entire TD415 upper. We'll have to wait and see what broke.   mbell556
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I should have clarified when I stated that it broke. It actually was just stove-piping and failing to eject properly. The armorers replaced the extractor spring, ejector, ejector spring and still nothing would correct the problem. We moved parts from upper to another (to include piston/op rod and spring) trying to locate the exact cause problem and that's when the difference in bolts was noticed. I can't remember right now if we just moved every single part over (I'm pretty sure that's what he had to do) but in the end, it did run.

On that note, I got some good news about the TD-415 uppers. I don't know what I can or can't see in detail but I can tell you that these complete uppers will soon be offered by a reputable dealer in a Gen 2 form. This new version will have an adjustable gas system unlike the first version. Maybe this has been discussed but my operations manager spoke to the person in charge of the project and brought it to my attention earlier today. This is definitely good news because I really like these uppers.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for chiming in.  I know HKParts had them up and still do last I checked, but not for sale at this time.  Glad the Gen 2's are coming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Gen 2 might be their version of the A5?
View Quote

No sounds like their Gen 2 might even be more closer in spec to an actual 416 / MR upper which one can only hope that they are clear from suits from HK themselves and don't get caught up with that mess which if memory serves me right is what halted production of the previous Titan D. uppers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#44]
My biggest question is why more people aren't just trying to clone the HK416's barrel...

An MR556 upper is, for all intents and purposes, an HK416... except for the absurd monstrosity that is it's barrel.  Folks are paying close to $500 from some vendors to get the barrel cut and reprofiled, and are still ending up with an unlined barrel in the end.  My suspicion is that a quality, chrome lined barrel assembly would be something that more than a few people would go for, rather than spending the money to have the MR556 barrel cut and reprofiled.  

Sure, it'd still be an expensive rifle, but if more "attractive" barrel options were available without the hassle that it currently requires, maybe more people would get them--more on the market would mean that prices, at least on the used market, might begin coming down some.  

In the case of, say, Battlefield Las Vegas, it's been a while since I re-read the thread, but IIRC, it wasn't that the upper "quit," but that the unlined match barrel astonishingly did not last very long on a machine gun range...  

::shrug::

Just my thoughts.

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#45]
The barrels have been cloned (on HKPRO.com). The newer MR556 BBLs are now chrome lined.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The barrels have been cloned (on HKPRO.com). The newer MR556 BBLs are now chrome lined.
View Quote
....the newer MR556 barrels overseas are chrome lined bc they got updated to A3 configuration. The US MR556 has not received these updates.  I agree with Augee, but then it goes back to begging the question, since the barrels are done here in the US anyway, why we're chrome lined bbls not sourced from the get go?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

As fivepointoh already pointed out, the chome lined MR556 barrels are for European commercial variants, and have not, to my knowledge, appeared in the U.S.  

Even if they did, while it would be a step in the right direction, a chrome lined MR556 barrel is still not an HK416 barrel, and you still need to get it cut down and reprofiled.  I know that barrels have been cloned in ones or twos, or even small batches, but they are not anything resembling "available."  

Sure, it would be awesome if H&K USA would sanction just selling the MR556 with an HK416 (or HK416-esque at least) barrel, but I don't see that happening in the near future, though chrome lining may be more of a possibility.  

Not that it's too hard to get the barrel cut down and reprofiled, but it's a hassle that, from what I can tell turns a lot of people off to even bothering.  This then keeps both MR556 and "true" HK416 upper prices up.  

Given what people will pay for a SCAR-16S, I suspect if you could put together a respectable HK416 clone for right around $3,000 using off-the-shelf components, there'd be a lot more people getting them ("sale" and Gunbroker prices of MR556s in the $2,400-$2,500 range, leaving $500-$600 for a barrel assembly, which is still not cheap...).  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
As fivepointoh already pointed out, the chome lined MR556 barrels are for European commercial variants, and have not, to my knowledge, appeared in the U.S.  

Even if they did, while it would be a step in the right direction, a chrome lined MR556 barrel is still not an HK416 barrel, and you still need to get it cut down and reprofiled.  I know that barrels have been cloned in ones or twos, or even small batches, but they are not anything resembling "available."  

Sure, it would be awesome if H&K USA would sanction just selling the MR556 with an HK416 (or HK416-esque at least) barrel, but I don't see that happening in the near future, though chrome lining may be more of a possibility.  

Not that it's too hard to get the barrel cut down and reprofiled, but it's a hassle that, from what I can tell turns a lot of people off to even bothering.  This then keeps both MR556 and "true" HK416 upper prices up.  

Given what people will pay for a SCAR-16S, I suspect if you could put together a respectable HK416 clone for right around $3,000 using off-the-shelf components, there'd be a lot more people getting them ("sale" and Gunbroker prices of MR556s in the $2,400-$2,500 range, leaving $500-$600 for a barrel assembly, which is still not cheap...).  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

~Augee
I own KAC rifles, plenty of others spend way more money on them than I do.  Likewise with Larue, Noveske, etc.  HK should see this and realize they are pretty much right above that price point where you're gonna get high end buyers but not make it into Dan Bilzerian territory.  If it had a proper chrome lined barrel and lighter profile I would already own one.  I could even deal with a SOCOM profile, but that fucking barrel under the handguards is what, an inch thick at least?  That is ridiculous.  Still haven't turned away from buying one, just hoping either the prices fall out, or they update to at least A3 before I plop down the money.  That MCX is really pulling me that direction, and I still have to do my CQBR clone .  Now that the RemDef handguards are available for the HK guns, this makes me want one that much more....clone the bin laden gun....

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Are Remington handguards actually available?

I've seen them, but they are usually of undisclosed origin and cost almost as much as the HK416 upper.
View Quote
I had a soldier drop $4k for a 416 upper with the Remington handguard.

It was nice, just not 4k nice and was gonna buy a MR556 and sell the upper because he wanted it all to

be HK

I was laughing at him until he said didnt you spend $8k on a Barrett

Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top