Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2015 10:54:58 AM EDT
What have you found to be the best heavy round for our rifles?  For this discussion heavy is anything over a 62gr.  No discussion about M855.
What bullet weight works best?
Whats the most accurate?
What have you determined to be the best for Home defense?
etc?

I am running a PWS mk114 triad upper

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What have you found to be the best heavy round for our rifles?  For this discussion heavy is anything over a 62gr.  No discussion about M855.
Whats the most accurate?
etc?

Thanks
View Quote

I've been trying to get to the range to answer that very question for my PWS Mk110. This damn Ohio weather and work interferes with everything. Next nice (non-windy, I can tolarate cold ) weekend I'm going to try Hornady Superformance MATCH 75gr and Black Hills OTM 77gr.

BTW....For my bedside I'm using Hornady TAP 75gr, but that is for inside the home distances, so accuracy isn't a factor. At the range I'm getting less than 1 MOA @ 100m with M193 55gr.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went to the range on Friday and did some tests. I'll post pics and a summary on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had good results with 69gr SMKs and for home defense the 62gr TBBC. I use Hornady bulk 55g FMJ for plinking and 62gr Federal FMJ.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't use SUPERFORMANCE in carbines.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How come?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whats the most accurate?
etc?

I am running a PWS mk114 triad upper

Thanks
View Quote

I took my PWS MK114 out on Friday to test four different types of .223 at 100 yds. I was shooting from the bench with a bipod. It was sunny and 55 degrees outside with no wind.

Clockwise from the upper left are the results. The center was rapid fire Federal. The upper left most group was off center because I did not set my windage back to zero before shooting. I was happy with all of the groups.

Nosler 55grain Varmaggedon
Hornady 53 grain Superformance Varmint
Hornady 75 Grain TAP
Federal 69 grain Federal Gold Medal

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How come?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come?

Superformance works by flattening the top of the pressure curve and extending it. Port pressure in everything but rifle gas systems will be higher than 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I run wolf gold in my mk114 for just plinking And it runs flawlessly. Handloads so far i have been sticking with 69gr hornady bthp and they also run flawless.

I did run 500 rounds of wold steel cased to and it was surprising how well it shot with the mk114
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
With the exception of the one flyer, the grouping on the bottom left looks the tightest to me. Were they the 69gr bullets?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
With the 1/8 it opens the door to a lot of choices.  What you and your rifle like is the key.  Once I started reloading it's opened the eyes as each rifle is even different, even if they are just about identical.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With the exception of the one flyer, the grouping on the bottom left looks the tightest to me. Were they the 69gr bullets?
View Quote

The bottom left was the 75 grain Hornady TAP.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't be satisfied with any of those groups, which is discouraging.  They are all similarly loose without enough variation to call a clear winner.  The upper right looks tightest to me (although somebody says don't shoot it - I'd let the case tell me yay or nay), but again, too close to tell.  Maybe that's all the rifle will do?  Are you confident in your technique - do you have any rifles that can print a ~1/2" group with you behind the trigger?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be satisfied with any of those groups, which is discouraging.  They are all similarly loose without enough variation to call a clear winner.  The upper right looks tightest to me (although somebody says don't shoot it - I'd let the case tell me yay or nay), but again, too close to tell.  Maybe that's all the rifle will do?  Are you confident in your technique - do you have any rifles that can print a ~1/2" group with you behind the trigger?
View Quote

I don't have any rifles that can do sub moa accuracy. I only go out every 3 months so I'm not the best person to definitive accuracy tests.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top