Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 9:24:24 PM EDT
<Link removed>

One of our contributors is a big fan of PWS. After handling the gun he wrote about in this review and another PWS that he has, I have to admit that the idea of a piston gun is really growing on me. The mk116 is well-balanced compared to a lot of piston ARs that are more front-heavy, and the quality of everything from the machining to the PWS-only features shows a lot of thought has been put into these guns.

Obviously, most people on this subforum are already fans of the long-stroke piston system to some extent (or are at least considering it). The more exposure I have to PWS, the more I like them and the higher they move up my list. Talking to the company at SHOT did nothing but reinforce the fact that they know what they're doing and they care about the customer. So for what it's worth, if you're thinking about PWS, there's no way you'll regret your decision.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The MK110 is even more fun!

<LINKS removed>

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

<Links removed>
View Quote

I know I don't regret my decision to buy the MK1 16. It is soft shooting, virtually no muzzle rise, very accurate and it likes me to feed it Other than the price tag that comes with quality it is a no brainer...get ya one... or a few...

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO what you said is accurate, "In closing, Primary Weapons Systems is (or was) one of the best kept secrets in a saturated and over-hyped AR market."

I suppose that's why most reviews for PWS typically feel like an introduction rather than extensive T&E.  Not complaining, just happy to see another review.  

I do wish in-depth accuracy and durability reviews showed up more often.  More extensive vids too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, wish I could give you more on accuracy.

All I have is limited time on one at the range (wasn't shooting for groups) but I don't own one yet.  Have to save awhile longer first.  

I just really like the balance, design, finish, etc.  I'd like to see more on its accuracy too (hence my wish for more in-depth reviews).

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of the rifle?
View Quote

I can get sub MOA with 69gr SMKs and 1-1.5 MOA with Hornady 55gr FMJs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMHO what you said is accurate, "In closing, Primary Weapons Systems is (or was) one of the best kept secrets in a saturated and over-hyped AR market."

I suppose that's why most reviews for PWS typically feel like an introduction rather than extensive T&E.  Not complaining, just happy to see another review.  

I do wish in-depth accuracy and durability reviews showed up more often.  More extensive vids too.
View Quote

We'll get it to the bench, then

The rifles these guys are putting out are sub-MOA guns in the right hands with good ammo. Thinking we might actually bench the mk107 too, though, bc it is ridiculously accurate for a small gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The MK110 is even more fun!

View Quote

That is freaking wicked.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The rifles these guys are putting out are sub-MOA guns in the right hands with good ammo. Thinking we might actually bench the mk107 too, though, bc it is ridiculously accurate for a small gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that would be outstanding!  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm getting 5 rounds of 55gr M193 in a hole the size of a dime @ 50 yards using an Aimpoint Micro T2 on my MK110 (10.75" bbl)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm getting 5 rounds of 55gr M193 in a hole the size of a dime @ 50 yards using an Aimpoint Micro T2 on my MK110 (10.75" bbl)

This tracks with what I've seen elsewhere too.  Likes 55gr FMJ.  M855, not so much (which is 2-4 MOA ammo anyway).  

Seems to like the heavier stuff.  It'd be great if there's a factory load or three it likes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Next range trip I'm going to see what it does with Black Hills 77gr OTM

Quoted:

This tracks with what I've seen elsewhere too.  Likes 55gr FMJ.  M855, not so much (which is 2-4 MOA ammo anyway).  

Seems to like the heavier stuff.  It'd be great if there's a factory load or three it likes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to hear that everyone is getting good accuracy with their rifles. I bought a PWS barrel, bolt and buffer and I'm hoping to build an accurate RECCE build with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Next range trip I'm going to see what it does with Black Hills 77gr OTM
View Quote

Excellent, I don't know if Nick Leghorn was using Black Hills but he didn't have good results with 77gr, so it'd be helpful to have additional data.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/03/foghorn/gun-review-pws-mk-114-rifle/
"There is a small caveat: the gun didn’t like 77 grain ammunition for some reason. I think that the twist rate might not have been ideal for the heavier rounds, and I couldn’t get a good group with even match grade Federal Premium ammunition in that weight."
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I was under the impression that the 1:8 twist was a solid choice for 55-75gr.

Odd question, are the barrels PWS sells for DI guns different than what they use in their piston line of rifles?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I've talked to a PWS rep previously about this, they're identical.  

The DI uses a QPQ Isonite carrier vs the MK1's nickel teflon BCG but the barrels are the same.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've talked to a PWS rep previously about this, they're identical.  

The DI uses a QPQ Isonite carrier vs the MK1's nickel teflon BCG but the barrels are the same.
View Quote

other than the finish, are there any differences between the carriers? is one better or worse than the other?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Their piston bolt has a return spring and no gas rings.  Maybe the piston carrier’s ID is machined slightly different to account for the lack of rings (pure speculation). The piston carrier has no vent holes either.  I don’t think those differences account as better or worse though.

Finishes and small details aside, that piston carrier still has an op rod with a piston hanging off it vs a simple gas key.  Like most I do see a piston AR's action as a little less accurate than DI (not inaccurate just a little less accurate).  

The upside is still the same.  Shifting heat and fouling up front.  A cleaner/cooler nickel teflon BCG (which I like better than NiB) that can get by with less lube if needed.  If it doesn't come at the cost of significant accuracy, is light, has no carrier tilt and balances like a MK114 Mod 1, I'm on board.

The few PWS DI accuracy reviews I’ve seen haven’t been exceptionally better than their pistons though.  There could be a few variables why.  That’s the reason I wish we had more accuracy data.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their piston bolt has a return spring and no gas rings.  Maybe the piston carrier’s ID is machined slightly different to account for the lack of rings (pure speculation). The piston carrier has no vent holes either.  I don’t think those differences account as better or worse though.

Finishes and small details aside, that piston carrier still has an op rod with a piston hanging off it vs a simple gas key.  Like most I do see a piston AR's action as a little less accurate than DI (not inaccurate just a little less accurate).  

The upside is still the same.  Shifting heat and fouling up front.  A cleaner/cooler nickel teflon BCG (which I like better than NiB) that can get by with less lube if needed.  If it doesn't come at the cost of significant accuracy, is light, has no carrier tilt and balances like a MK114 Mod 1, I'm on board.

The few PWS DI accuracy reviews I’ve seen haven’t been exceptionally better than their pistons though.  There could be a few variables why.  That’s the reason I wish we had more accuracy data.  
View Quote

I agree. I want there to be more information on them. I've read nothing but positive reviews. The "negatives" reviews suggested the accuracy was "average".

The positive reviews said sub-MOA. Considering my funds won't allow me to complete my custom build for some time, in sitting on several PWS parts without the capacity to use them.

Time will tell; and I look forward to hearing more about these rifles from firsthand users.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump for bench.  Just hoping this is still in the works, thanks much.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quick spoiler for those interested, My next rifle project I plan on using an M6 IC lower on a PWS upper. Should be the perfect piston rifle. My goal is to keep all the ambi functions of the M6 IC and have a long stroke gas piston. I still have no idea what optic I want to use on it though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
That's outstanding, I've always thought an ideal combo would be adding a PWS upper and buffer tube to that lower.

I was sorely tempted to use part of my MK114 budget to pick up an IC lower last week.  Ended up with a BCM upper (too much value right now).  Looking forward to a thread on your project.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick spoiler for those interested, My next rifle project I plan on using an M6 IC lower on a PWS upper. Should be the perfect piston rifle. My goal is to keep all the ambi functions of the M6 IC and have a long stroke gas piston. I still have no idea what optic I want to use on it though.
View Quote

What are the real advantages to an ambi lower?

As for an optic, I picked up a Steiner M5Xi 1-5 from Amazon for $1340, it's backordered but hoping the deal will go through.

I was looking at the Kahles K16i, but cheapest I could find was $1850. Need the bucks for my long gun glass.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top