Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2015 1:09:14 PM EDT
Yes I tried to do a forum search and had poor results.

I am strongly considering a PWS 16" piston upper to go on a three year old Daniels Defense  DDM4 which of course is a Direct Impingement gun.

I think that I can keep my Buffer and spring and the only thing I need to do would be switch uppers

Am I missing something?

This is the Warden's  (wife) gun and she won't be pleasant if it doesn't run.

No I won't sell the DD Upper.  I buy guns and parts, I don't sell them.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a piston forum on here that can provably better answer your question.  Have you considered a piston kit such as Osprey or Adam Arms?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Piston Forum? Who knew?  Thanks and no I have not checked the others.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you already have a nice upper I would just throw a kit on it.  I love my Osprey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you want a piston upper? What's wrong with DI? There are fewer high quality piston uppers out there than DI, and they alone tend to cost more than a solid, complete DI gun would cost.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I know I have a great Armalite Upper and better Noveske Upper and the Daniel's Defense is no slouch either.  I just feel the need to own a Piston in  my mix.
I have been told the piston has a little less Kick and I am certain the Warden (wife) would like that.
I want her to have the best!.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes I know I have a great Armalite Upper and better Noveske Upper and the Daniel's Defense is no slouch either.  I just feel the need to own a Piston in  my mix.
I have been told the piston has a little less Kick and I am certain the Warden (wife) would like that.
View Quote

Stick with normal ar's

Ar's already have a piston, its integrated into the bolt carrier group

You would benefit more from a good muzzle brake

Really,  there isn't much a "piston" ar offers that a "DI" ar hasn't offered for the past 50 years
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're worried about the recoil, then go with something using a midlength or rifle length gas system, heavy buffer, and quality muzzle break. I would stick with DI personally, as I don't see any reason to buy a piston upper unless you're trying to clone a 416, which I doubt you are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

While they do tend to be heavier, they also have more mass going back and forth.  I never actually heard of any piston AR shooting softer than a DI one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong about adding a piston AR to the collection, but if you want a  light weight, soft shooter for the Mrs then I'd go a different route.

have a smith add an adjustable gas block to a DI AR, put a KMR or other LW forend on it, buy a nice muzzle brake/comp, feed it lower powered 223 ammo and she'll love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While they do tend to be heavier, they also have more mass going back and forth.  I never actually heard of any piston AR shooting softer than a DI one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  A piston gun is going to have more reciprocating weight, theoretically causing more recoil.  I've never done a side by side comparison so I can't say for sure, but the physics say your idea won't pan out.

If you want less recoil, get a muzzle brake, adjustable gas block, and standard carbine buffer.  That'll tame any recoil right down when tuned correctly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay I have a Smith's "Good Iron" Brake that might not be "THEE Best" but I have it and will try that. mind you she put 5-600 rounds down range without a complaint. so it's not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

That's what I've heard as well, buddy has a Sig piston rifle and while it's a nice one my BCM 14.5" lightweight midlength feels like a .22 compared to it, and the Sig is very front heavy. Piston uppers have their strong points but reduced recoil isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top