Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 1:40:08 AM EDT
Looking to put a different hand guard on my Ruger. I just want to lose the quad rail and just have the single rail on top. Is there any aftermarket handguards for the SR556? I cannot seem to find any. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You might call Ruger and see if they'll sell you one from their Varmint Target model.
I think it's smooth-sided. 20" barrel though, so if it's a longer handguard, it won't work.
Check the Ruger forums, too. I'll bet someone has tried something else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The handguard is proprietary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Soo there isn't anything out there then?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much no, along with all the rest of their proprietary parts on the gun.

That is one of the big reason why I eventually sold my SR-556s and switched over to using Adams Arms.  Now, if I break something, simply want an extra of something, or whatever, I simply load up Adams Arms' website, add said part(s) to cart and check out.

For example, if something breaks (which nothing has yet), I can 100% deal with it myself rather than dealing with hassle of having to ship the damn gun back to the factory (in Ruger's case) and hassle with their warranty dept. about this issue or that issue.

Adams Arms has about as "open" of a system as you can get, in terms of parts availability and their willingness to support the customer by selling individual parts directly to the customer when they want/need them.

And lastly, there are a number of 3rd party handguards that also work with their system.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...hassle of having to ship the damn gun back to the factory (in Ruger's case) and hassle with their warranty dept. about this issue or that issue.
View Quote

I take it you haven't had much experience with Ruger's customer service.  

No argument from me on their use of a propriety front end.  I'm actually surprised Samson or MI or someone similar isn't making a Keymod or M-LOK aftermarket replacement.  I think they'd have a market if they did.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No argument from me on their use of a propriety front end.  I'm actually surprised Samson or MI or someone similar isn't making a Keymod or M-LOK aftermarket replacement.  I think they'd have a market if they did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...hassle of having to ship the damn gun back to the factory (in Ruger's case) and hassle with their warranty dept. about this issue or that issue.

Yeah, I never did have a problem with either of mine while I had them, so I do give them credit for that.  But, I never did like the idea of having to send serialized parts off to have them serviced if/when a problem arose -- regardless of the severity, or lack thereof of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think Ruger has ever sold bolts or barrels or parts that could be incorrectly fitted and installed.  I believe the policy is they won't sell anything that could result in incorrect headspace or an otherwise unsafe weapon.  That policy might make some sense with an M77 or a Mini-14 but it really shouldn't apply to the SR556.  Even so, that shouldn't really deter anyone from buying an SR-556 since the bolt, firing pin, extractor, etc are standard M16 pattern and can be bought just about anywhere.

In addition to my surprise with the lack of aftermarket support, I am equally surprised that Ruger doesn't offer a "field repair kit" on the shop Ruger website.  I wouldn't think it would be a bad idea to sell a small kit containing an extra gas regulator, piston, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The gas block not only just makes up the front part of the rail/handguard, but also houses the op-rod tube.  I think this may be why no-one is making handguards for them.

As stated before, the handguard from the other model may work and fits the criteria you stated.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-REV-free-float-rail-system-mid-cutout

this is the closest i've found as a replacement. but, i can't say for sure if it will. i've tried emailing fortis for proper specs on the handguard w/o any answer. even if i had the money, i'm just not willing enough to spend it to find out for myself. if i could find the inner diameter and the weight of the SR handguard, it would help in making the decision to finally call fortis and just ask a service representative.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why I ended up selling my SR556.  Thing was accurate as hell and was a tank, but damn it was heavy and I wanted to change the hand guard.  It pissed me off to no end that they pinned the troy hand guard to the gun.  It was the first AR I ever owned, so lesson learned.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top