BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
. . . I my experience the great hallmark of the PWS system is the wonderful simplicity of the design, and in only my first look at the system I felt very comfortable would I ever need to trouble shoot it. I also feel that PWS is the most sound suppressor friendly system as tappet systems tend to be considerably louder due to the metal on metal ping the system creates. The newer systems all now come with multiple position gas blocks that can be adjusted for almost any situation. PWS has also adapted to using Nickel Teflon bolt carrier groups which increases the effectiveness of their rifle. One factor I like about PWS is the number of different options they have for both barrel length and caliber. They do not offer a 6.8 but I'v never been a 6.8 fan so that really doesn't bother me. Being a bit of a firearm romantic I find their utilization of the long stroke piston system wonderfully refreshing in a world that is ruled by conformity. In conclusion, PWS makes a great rifle that tends to be lighter than almost all of their competitors, but still runs with the same reliability and I choose to buy this brand of rifle. I bought a PWS, because it fit my what I want the best. To explain I wanted a lighter rifle with less weight on the front end in order to suppress it, and the PWS in my opinion would do that well. More importantly I thought it was cool, so I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to stress that all this information is based on a combination of personal experience and other peoples accounts. People need to know that if one buys any of these rifles they will most likely be happy. The only one of these I do not recommend is purchasing the Adams arms piston kit, however their complete uppers and rifles are wonderful. I apologize for my HK bashing, but I just can't support a company like that. All in all, almost every company listed makes a wonderful rifle and whatever decision each consumer makes they will have an overbuilt rifle that will likely outlast them in a combat situation.

PS: Any rifle I didn't list is because I simply do not have the knowledge or experience to do so, and not meant as a slight against that brand. I welcome anyone who does have that knowledge to try to give an unbiased account as possible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LWRC: For some reason LWRC seems to be one of the most polarizing brands of piston driven rifles the world over, and for the life of me I do not know why. LWRC makes a great rifle with state of the art components; they use a cold hammer forged barrel that is treated with some form of nitrocarburization (don't ask me the specifics I'm not a chemist), their bolt carrier groups are nickel boron or nickel teflon treated (both treatments work great but I can't keep straight what company does which treatment), and their lower receivers are fully ambidextrous. One of the other great aspects of LWRC is the multitude of options they have for caliber, size and length (they have everything from pdws to patrol and precision rifles). All that being said LWRC is not without their own cons one of which being that the company was bought by Colt. I'm sorry I couldn't help myself I just don't like colt as I have had to deal with their customer service on three occasions and all were bad (worked at a Gun Shop for a while). On a more serious note of all the piston rifles LWRC does seem to have the most breakable little parts, which is not to say their rifles are fragile, but rather that the people that buy them use them and their system seems to have more small parts. Small parts always break, and that is in every rifle across the board. One thing to credit LWRC is that they make in my opinion the most aesthetically pleasing rifle sold today. Much like Barrett they can be cost exclusive as these rifles tend to cost exclusively over $2000 across the country. I have heard mixed reviews of their customer service, but most of the negative accounts I've heard in person I would judge that the purchaser was kind of a dick. My final judgement is that these rifles are great buys, however if I bought one I would also purchase an extra couple piston parts kits.
View Quote

That is an incorrect statement.  That deal never went through.  No one seems to know why, probably because of Colts financial situation.  Word has it they are close to a Chapter 11 situation for a third time in 4 years.  I think a lot had to do with feedback from customers, dealers and LE/MIL departments, I could be wrong about why it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

POF had ambi controls before LWRC. POF also had the one piece bolt carrier and nitride barrel before LWRC. I was the proud owner of an M6A2 which was one of the first ones with the nitrided barrel but still had the two-piece bolt carrier. This was almost two years after I bought a POF 308 with both the nitride match barrel and one-piece carrier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LWRCI if for no other reason than their truly ambi controls and their ultra compact stock. Are they more accurate than anything else with a piston? For most people, yes. Are they more reliable than most other systems? For most people, yes. Are they worse balanced than most any other system? for most people, yes. How ever lets look at the undeniables. Their stock system is the shortest. Their lowers are 100% ambidextrous. Their customer service is among the best. Those are advantages you cannot deny. Personally I have come to a point where I don't give a fuck about weight and balance, what drives the BCG, or who makes what. Guys who do are fucking splitting cunt hairs. I like things that work. Personally I would try to find an M6SL with the IC lower and call it a day based on your price point.

POF had ambi controls before LWRC. POF also had the one piece bolt carrier and nitride barrel before LWRC. I was the proud owner of an M6A2 which was one of the first ones with the nitrided barrel but still had the two-piece bolt carrier. This was almost two years after I bought a POF 308 with both the nitride match barrel and one-piece carrier.

The POF ambi is only a release and not a catch as well. The LWRC system is a full ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with Adams Arms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Lwrc next to hk are the only mass sales piston ars , lwrci sold 28000 to suadi alone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
have an overbuilt rifle that will likely outlast them in a combat situation.

View Quote

I don't want to split hairs here but the chances of using your AR in a real combat situation is highly unlikely for any member on this site. Even as military the chance that I would have to use my POW is non-existent. I don't consider using your departments weapon in the line of duty as a police officer combat as combat has completely different objectives where you are shooting to surpress, move from cover to cover, and ultimately out manuever the enemy IOT defeat them. Combat involves a lot of weapons systems and you can call for fire to either surpress or defeat the enemy in addition to your own weapons systems. That's why I say the chance of it happening is so remote you can't even assign a statistic to it is not meant to be an insult but a reality.

The most likely thing anyone on this site will ever use their AR for in terms of killing another human being is a self defense situation.

Self defense and combat are two completely different things.

That being said would I like to use my POW in place of my issued M4? Absolutely.

Will it ever be allowed? No.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Slingblade, I enjoyed reading your post they were well thought out and logical. I do however hope that PWS will enter the 6.8SPC market. I will likely buy an LWRC sometime in the near future but would love to have one by PWS. I have one 6.8 AR15 now by a different manufacturer and appreciate it for it's increase in terminal(knock down) power while still giving me the option of a 30 round magazine if wanted or needed. I doubt PWS will offer it but I would definitely consider it if offered.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Slingblade, I enjoyed reading your post they were well thought out and logical. I do however hope that PWS will enter the 6.8SPC market. I will likely buy an LWRC sometime in the near future but would love to have one by PWS. I have one 6.8 AR15 now by a different manufacturer and appreciate it for it's increase in terminal(knock down) power while still giving me the option of a 30 round magazine if wanted or needed. I doubt PWS will offer it but I would definitely consider it if offered.
View Quote

I've seen from others that PWS does a limited run of 6.8 SPC rifles, from time to time. So, never know, just keep your eyes out for it.

I personally prefer the Six8 platform, for my 6.8SPC happiness but I'm a magpul fan.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
In response to - The_Evil_One

I was using a more conceptual definition of combat as any situation in which one would use a firearm for a life saving or life taking purpose. Also, my point was meant more to convey the build quality of each rifle rather than anything about the merits of any weapon system in a traditional warfare setting. Looking back I could have used different wording to convey that message more effectively. Although I do understand that it is rare for any person to utilize a rifle for self defense purposes regardless of one's lifestyle, I would also state that I do prefer the inherit nature of the firearm industry to manufacture all guns with the most brutal environment in mind. Obviously there are exceptions to that rule, but it is always the exceptions that prove the rule.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've seen from others that PWS does a limited run of 6.8 SPC rifles, from time to time. So, never know, just keep your eyes out for it.

I personally prefer the Six8 platform, for my 6.8SPC happiness but I'm a magpul fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a magpul fan also which was just one more reason for getting the LWRC Six8.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am a magpul fan also which was just one more reason for getting the LWRC Six8.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're a fan, I highly recommend getting it. The Six8 rifle is my favorite, save for the fact that it is missing an adjustable gas block for suppressor use. Was worth the price, to me, to get lightweight durable polymer magazines that can hold 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Barrett Firearms: The rec7 is by all accounts a fantastic rifle, however their are very few options in regards to length and caliber. On the positive side many have said that their piston system is far and away the most robots of all that are available. I have seen on multiple occasions shooters put obscene amounts of rounds (over 1500) through these rifles in a day and these rifle do not even hiccup. All that being said these rifles can be very cost exclusive as the gen2 rifles are running in many cases over $2500, and I know many just can not justify spending that on a rifle when you can get top notch reliability for much less. There are a couple drawbacks to these rifle one being that it is hard to find one to put your hands on before you buy and the other being the very limited production of these rifles. The limited production affects a number of things, however none are more important than the difficulty to find replacement parts. To conclude any rifle that Barrett firearms makes is bound to be overbuilt to the nth degree and if one has the money or the justification to buy one then I believe they will be very pleased with the result.
View Quote

I would add that of the ones I've owned, the Barrett is the most robust. Please note a big Con: The barrel uses a non-standard gas port location so you are stuck with the Barrett barrel unless you buy an after market barrel that is not pre-drilled.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
....The only one of these I do not recommend is purchasing the Adams arms piston kit, however their complete uppers and rifles are wonderful....
View Quote

Having installed two of these, both with the new low profile gas block, the single biggest issue is gas block alignment. If the op rod is even VERY slightly out of alignment, the resistance will rob the gun of the necessary force to get the bolt back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Best piston under 2k = PWS MK116

Best budget piston under 2K  = Stag Arms M8 w Plus package

Just my humble opinion. YMMV,
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I own, and have owned most of the big piston brands, and for me , its the Sig516.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would add that of the ones I've owned, the Barrett is the most robust. Please note a big Con: The barrel uses a non-standard gas port location so you are stuck with the Barrett barrel unless you buy an after market barrel that is not pre-drilled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrett Firearms: The rec7 is by all accounts a fantastic rifle, however their are very few options in regards to length and caliber. On the positive side many have said that their piston system is far and away the most robots of all that are available. I have seen on multiple occasions shooters put obscene amounts of rounds (over 1500) through these rifles in a day and these rifle do not even hiccup. All that being said these rifles can be very cost exclusive as the gen2 rifles are running in many cases over $2500, and I know many just can not justify spending that on a rifle when you can get top notch reliability for much less. There are a couple drawbacks to these rifle one being that it is hard to find one to put your hands on before you buy and the other being the very limited production of these rifles. The limited production affects a number of things, however none are more important than the difficulty to find replacement parts. To conclude any rifle that Barrett firearms makes is bound to be overbuilt to the nth degree and if one has the money or the justification to buy one then I believe they will be very pleased with the result.

You've run the others until they've failed? Curious as to why the Barrett is more robust.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You've run the others until they've failed? Curious as to why the Barrett is more robust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I ran over 25,000 rounds through each of the brands I owned and the Barrett is the only one that didn't fail. Add to that, it is also the only one I didn't clean or lube for the entire 25,000 rounds and believe or not, it still shoots 1/4 MOA like it did on day one.
Ask a REALLY STUPID question and get an equally STUPID answer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep, I ran over 25,000 rounds through each of the brands I owned and the Barrett is the only one that didn't fail. Add to that, it is also the only one I didn't clean or lube for the entire 25,000 rounds and believe or not, it still shoots 1/4 MOA like it did on day one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your answer is stupid. Gotya.

I always get a laugh at the 0.25 MOA claims. I bet you've never shot 0.25 MOA in your entire life :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I always get a laugh at the 0.25 MOA claims. I bet you've never shot 0.25 MOA in your entire life :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously??? Your sarcasm detector is way off my friend. I might have 1500 rounds through my rifle which shoots slightly less than 1 MOA with a Geissele SSA. I feel like I am insulting you by even clarifying but yes, the whole answer was total BS.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top