Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2015 6:59:23 PM EDT
Have settled on Piston versus Gas system, but what AR is best for under $2,000 I am looking at Ruger 556 model and LWRC but not sure what model of LWRC?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I have never used either of them, I have heard highly of the SR-556 and various models of the LWRC. Another less known manufacturer is Black Rifle Arms.

They have an upper called the CAPS (Combat Adaptive Piston System) which is pretty cool. Has 4 different gas settings plus a off setting.

Video: http://youtu.be/3t23Oias_hQ?list=UUUG5PAZcmijRheTe-JmInYA

Link to Website: http://www.blackriflearms.com/CAPS-PISTON-UPPERS_c_49.html

They also have a low-profile system that is non-adjustable.

The CAPS are also reasonably priced. You could get one of the uppers and a PSA complete lower, and you have a piston AR for under $1000.

7.62x39 PDW with CAPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdpiN4P24c

EDIT:

Check out this video of their very unique carrier design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsE_J3XSWQ

It is a shorter carrier, but has a polymer extension connected to the end, so when it travels into the buffer tube, no wear is done to the lower receiver whatsoever. The polymer, in case you were wondering, has a strength about 6 times that of carbon steel.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You are going to get answers all over the board. Everyone has their favorite for a reason, and they generally are lwrc, pws, barret, lmt, pof and adams arms. Forgot sig and a few others.

I am a PWS fan. I own one and love it. I will admit if you want a really pretty and beautiful rifle the lwrc would win in my book. I fell in love with the piston system, weight and balance of the PWS in my hands.

That is just my opinion. Only other piston system rifle i really want is the Barret, i think they are dead sexy.

Adams Arms i have owned have all ran flawless,especially in 545x39.

Good luck, and PWS is my vote if i had to just because i have the most experience  with it.

It will all be up to you, start finding gun shops that carry them and go cop a feel.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm very happy with my two PWS SBR's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Paid $1995 for my LMT. Love ir.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote PWS. It's my favorite rifle I own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt LE6940P

Due to the platform and piston design.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a pretty good deal for around 2K.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464602116
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a pretty good deal for around 2K.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464602116
View Quote

That actually is a killer deal. If the OP has no desire to suppress, that would be perfect. If going to suppress, I would hold out for an IC-E, for the adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colt LE6940P
Due to the platform and piston design.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought my first PWS a little over a year ago.  Loved it so much I bought two more! Have shot between 2500-3000 rounds through them to date and they have been flawless, and stay remarkably clean.  My buddy let me mount his suppressor on one the other day and it worked great as well!  I had never heard of them but saw a short barrel one at a local dealer and liked the feel so much I researched em out emailed them and ordered one up, best balancing AR style rifle I have seen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both the LWRC M6A2 SPR and the Ruger SR 556. Both needed new triggers which were replaced with Geissele SSA-E triggers. Surprisingly the SR 556 turned out to be more accurate than the LWRC. 5 shot 100 yard groups with the SR 556 averaged 0.6 moa, With the LWRC averaging about 0.75 moa.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my LMT
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I vote LWRC
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I am happy with my two Hogans 308 and 556
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
PWS or LWRC. I bought the PWS and I am very happy with how accurate and soft it shoots with basically no muzzle rise. You can find them for around $1750 give or take.
I do plan to purchase the LWRC Six8 down the road....
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
PWS hands down. I own 2, and have modified them somewhat. Best ARs I've ever had, I prefer them to LWRC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
CDNN - RUGER® SR556E® SC 556 16 PISTON FIXED TUBE STOCK on sale for $799.99 - HERE

Take the money you save and upgrade the stock, buy some mags, and purchase an optic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
PWS for sure!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
CDNN - RUGER® SR556E® SC 556 16 PISTON FIXED TUBE STOCK on sale for $799.99 - HERE

Take the money you save and upgrade the stock, buy some mags, and purchase an optic.
View Quote

...and I good Geissle trigger.  I went the upper route with the Ruger and built my lowers the way I wanted them.  I like them a lot and have never had a problem with them.  I got the 556C and the 6.8 SPC when they still made it. ( The 6.8 is a better gun than a lot the 6.8 crowd give it credit for and is sub MOA.  Just not SPC spec-II. )
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#20]
+3 on the LMT. Love mine. Would have picked PWS or LWRC for second choice. The piston plus the monolithic rail platform is what sold me. Makes for a heavier rifle, but not as bad as some people make it out. The ability to mount optics where I want is great.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

...and I good Geissle trigger.  I went the upper route with the Ruger and built my lowers the way I wanted them.  I like them a lot and have never had a problem with them.  I got the 556C and the 6.8 SPC when they still made it. ( The 6.8 is a better gun than a lot the 6.8 crowd give it credit for and is sub MOA.  Just not SPC spec-II. )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God, how could I forget the trigger!  Yes, first upgrade. Geissele.
2000+ rounds through mine with no problems.
And Ruger needs to get off it's ass and start cranking out some upper options for this platform.
300 Blackout and some SBR length options would be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Patriot Ordinance Factory. Check out the new "Puritan". For 1499 it's alot of firepower.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a stag arms model 8t and haven't had an issue yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote PWS.  Their piston system design is the best in my opinion.  Also, the overall quality of their guns and assembly workmanship are top notch.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Ruger, SIG, Colt, LMT.  They all make good piston guns nowadays and it shouldn't be hard to find a solid performer well under your $2,000 pricetag.  It seems all the manufacturers now have solved the carrier tilt stuff that was seen on some early guns.  And I think they're all using adjustable gas blocks now to optimize the gun for suppressed use.

Don't rule out Barrett.  I have a Gen1 REC7 that has been a bullet hose.  Fit, finish and workmanship is second to none (minus the lousy GI trigger) and I'd be seriously looking at their new lightweight model if I didn't already have a Gen1.

Now that I'm thinking about it I might sell my Gen1 and pick up the new LW model...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I cast my vote for lwrc. Best piston rifle I've owned by far. Nothing comes close to touching it imo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had good luck with my Ruger, probably 2500 rounds in her over the last couple years. No issues, its solid. Came with Troy rails and flip up Troy battle sights. Its heavy but doesn't bother me.
I have two other AR's that are lighter and I like my Sig too. I ordered an AA piston upper for another build to give them a try.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bought my first PWS a little over a year ago.  Loved it so much I bought two more! Have shot between 2500-3000 rounds through them to date and they have been flawless, and stay remarkably clean.  My buddy let me mount his suppressor on one the other day and it worked great as well!  I had never heard of them but saw a short barrel one at a local dealer and liked the feel so much I researched em out emailed them and ordered one up, best balancing AR style rifle I have seen.
View Quote

Agreed, the balance is amazing
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone seen the ARAK21? Think ak upper with ar lower gas piston 5.56 or 300 black or 7.62x39
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be honest for me it isn't. I prefer a front heavy rifle. Gets back on target faster. Balanced firearms are great if you don't work out in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 Piston ARs, the Ruger SR556 and the Core 15 "TAC M4 Piston Rifle". There are definately things about both rifles I like more than the other and I think they are each "better" at different things. I have right at 1500 rnds through both rifles and on the ruger I have not had a single jam or FTF with any ammo cheap or pricy. The Core 15 on the other hand does not like steel cased ammo (has has zero issues with any brass ammo I have put through it) which does not bother me because I do not buy steel cased ammo, the only reason it was even in my gun is because a buddy of mine wanted to shoot a mag full to see how it performed because he was considering buying one and all he runs is cheap steel. That being said, in my experiance the Core15 is a much more accurate rifle than the Ruger . This could be the effect of a number of things including trigger (i have the stock trigger in the Ruger and a geissele in the Core). I personally like the feel of the Core 15 better, everything seems tighter and more crisp and it has magpul furnature out of the box where the ruger has their propriatary handguard and the grip is horrendous to my hands. That could also very easily play a big role in accuracy. Both guns run cool and clean in my experiance and honetly I dont think you can go wrong with either, but I wanted to give you my opinion on the couple of brands that I have put through the paces. If you buy the Ruger be fully prepared to drop some coin on a new trigger and grip right away, the Core is great out of the box and really does not need anything changed to be a great rifle.

Mack
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll be honest for me it isn't. I prefer a front heavy rifle. Gets back on target faster. Balanced firearms are great if you don't work out in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao, wtf does working out have to do with a rifle being well balanced?
To each their own, but working out doesnt have much to do with the benefits of a well balanced AR platform.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

To each their own, but working out doesnt have much to do with the benefits of a well balanced AR platform.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL haha yea what?? I work out and I am in great shape and I LOVE a well balanced rifle. I also LOVE titanium cans and less weight on my gun.
please do explain??

back on topic, get a PWS. They are balanced, nice shooters, reliable, and easy to clean.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It implies you're too weak to effectively handle a heavy or slightly front heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It implies you're too weak to effectively handle a heavy or slightly front heavy rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol wow! you're an idiot. you should post some pictures of your muscles haha.

This thread should be back to Piston systems.
PWS, LWRC.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I cast my vote for lwrc. Best piston rifle I've owned by far. Nothing comes close to touching it imo.
View Quote

Sold both of mine. Got PWS instead. I feel it was a superior platform.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Haha, hilarious. As if working out makes any difference whatsoever. The facts are PWS is better balanced than an LWRC. Like I said I sold both of my LWRCs and bought 2 PWS rifles, pretty heavily moddded to my liking. PWS just has a better piston system.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Haha, hilarious. As if working out makes any difference whatsoever. The facts are PWS is better balanced than an LWRC. Like I said I sold both of my LWRCs and bought 2 PWS rifles, pretty heavily moddded to my liking. PWS just has a better piston system.
View Quote

The piston system is not what is the balance point. The PWS uses a smaller diameter/profile barrel. The LWRC setup uses a thicker barrel and makes the setup slightly front heavy, unless you go with the spiral fluted. The spiral fluted IC is better balanced than the PWS setup.

I've owned both and prefer the LWRC setup to the PWS. Really boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The piston system is not what is the balance point. The PWS uses a smaller diameter/profile barrel. The LWRC setup uses a thicker barrel and makes the setup slightly front heavy, unless you go with the spiral fluted. The spiral fluted IC is better balanced than the PWS setup.

I've owned both and prefer the LWRC setup to the PWS. Really boils down to personal preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said it was, I said PWS had a better piston system. I had the IC with a spiral barrel, it wasn't better balanced.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your opinion flies in the face of logic.  Any rifle that is balanced will be easier to utilize regardless of whethre or not you work out.  It may get on target faster, but is that all we're concerned with?  Thats just part of the equation
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Seeing this is America the over weight out of shape capital of the world saying those wanting a PWS don't want to work out would suggest 95% of people would buy a PWS over an LWRC.

Ev1 usually has a better argument but we all have off days.

I can remember Ev1 posting about excess wear on his LWRC in the buffer tube and others posted it was normal to a point (although it seemed his was more so and I am sure LWRC made it good)
I have 2 PWS now a Mod 1 and a Mod 0 with 15K+++ rounds through the lower and it has no wear at all in the buffer tube, none, nada, zip.

I have heard excuses why PWS has better balance all suggesting because they cut a corner or lightened the barrel.
Piss poor arguments and the shift from those buying PWS to a much higher number suggest reality, when you try one you experience the difference: An equally good shooter that is lighter and better balanced so for those who don't sit at a bench to shoot the PWS is in a class by itself.

I have no loyalty to any brand.
If someone builds a better gun that has better value i will switch.
In 4 years of PWS I have owned other pistons and have shot many other pistons and have yet to find any reason to switch.
PWS is simply a better easier to maintain design that because of being better balanced and lighter allows for more walk around time and is unsurpassed in reliability, accuracy and function in every way a M4 type is required.

Anyone considering an M4 should avail himself to at the very least a trip to the LGS to hold the various fine piston ARs and if possible shoot as many as you can and decide for yourself
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PWS or LWRC. I bought the PWS and I am very happy with how accurate and soft it shoots with basically no muzzle rise. You can find them for around $1750 give or take.
I do plan to purchase the LWRC Six8 down the road....
View Quote

You can find a 14.5" for $1590 right now.  Still not not cheap but not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#43]
My experience with piston AR platforms so far is limited to POF. I have a P415 and P308, both Gen 3 with 14.5" barrels. I was looking at POF, LWRC, Sig, and Ruger piston AR's when shopping around for two new rifles. I did not get to handle any LWRC rifles, because nobody has them in stock where I'm located.

Out of the three remaining, I liked the POF the best. I was a little hesitant at first to drop that kind of coin due to some reviews I read, but most were 2010-2012 time frame. My local Cabela's (OF ALL PLACES!!) had a NIB P415 for $1195, and a NIB P308 for $1849. Both were great deals IMO.

Besides recent user induced failures with my P308, where I tested POF's claim that the bolt carrier can be ran dry and be reliable, both rifles have been 100% reliable. The triggers on both are 4lb single stage, and are excellent. I am able to shoot very tight groupings with both rifles at the range. The fit and finish is top notch.

I have both set up the same way. They have Magpul ACS-L stocks, K2 grips, and MBUS sights. Optics are Weaver 1-5X24 Tactical CIRT scope with Warne RAMP mounts, Streamlight TLR1-S HD lights. The P308 has a Grip Pod, and the P415 has a Troy forward grip. Both have Troy 2 point Battleslings.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Have the PWS, SIG and Adcor.  Basically, your choice come down to whether you want a long stroke piston (PWS and SIG 556 or 556xi) or short stroke (LWRC, LMT, Adcor, Adam Arms, Ruger, SIG 516, HK MR556, and most other manufacturers making piston conversion).  Out of the ones I have, I prefer the PWS when shooting un-supressed.  Cannot beat the reliability, balance and simplicity (simplicity based on long stroke based on AK). Both SIG and the Adcor is a little front heavy, and LWRC is heavier than PWS  by a 1lb+.  However, when I shoot suppressed, I go with Adcor since most of the gas escape near the rear of the gas block.  Although cleaner than DI guns when shooting suppressed, the PWS upper and lower still get pretty dirty because some of the gas still escapes toward the upper/lower/bcg.  The short stroke works better for me when suppressed because the gas escapes mostly behind the gas block (I rather have the rails near the gas block be dirty than the bolt and the upper/lower) .  I also must comment that PWS service is great (Adcor-not so where I have placed 2 calls and 2 emails about parts and tools within last two weeks and NO return calls or return e-mails from them).  If you want a 7.62x39 piston based on AR platform, PWS has them on a limited run.  You can get a SIG 556R (2nd gen, don't get the 1st gen) or 556xi (but I have heard this first gen in 7.62x39 has some problems, but 556xi in 556 is fine).

Hope this helps with your decision
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh, I also forgot to mention Serbu SU-15, which they just release yesterday for pre-order purchase of the upper for $795 (normally, over a $1000).

http://serbushirts.com/products/su-15-upper-receiver-pre-order

Based on my search, this seems like a hybrid of DI/piston based on the French MAS 49-56.  It seems like a good combination of DI/piston system and I could not help myself but to get at least one at this deal.

Faxon also makes short stroke piston and some people seem to like this system for reasons unbeknownst to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#46]
The only piston design I've ever used is my ADCOR.  I don't know how it compares to other piston systems, but I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The only piston design I've ever used is my ADCOR.  I don't know how it compares to other piston systems, but I'm very happy with it.
View Quote

I have one as well. It's a good system for what is supposed to be a mass produced gas piston rifle.

My goal is to own every piston AR on the market. One day I will.

Then I will test them all side by side and post my observations and my preferences.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I must agree with the previous poster that PWS does not cut corners.  I have multiple PWS systems, both MOD0 and MOD1, and recently purchased a PWS barrel for a DI build.  Their barrels are high quality and have a profile very similar to Hanson barrel profile, which are considered lightweight and accurate.  
Wanted to get an LWRC (as you can see I have multiple piston systems) because so many people are very happy with this gun, but every time I find a good deal, e.g., $900 almost new 10.5 upper or $800 for 16.5 upper, could not get myself to get one because of 3 things:
(1) the piston system looks very "beefy", ergo, heavy, but reliable, and it has three parts, i.e., gas block, gas tube,, middle rod, back rod and spring.  To many parts.
(2) have to remove the top rail.  although well designed, users need to take their accessories off the top rail and side rail to service the piston.  However, I think LWRC recommends cleaning it around every 5K rounds
(3) there is a spiral fluted version by LWRC which is indicated above as about 1+lb heavier than PWS, and hence, a non spiral version would be even heavier.  LWR reduces the weight of their barrel by fluting. Spiral looks nice, but based on research, it is not recommended, other than straight fluting based on barrel harmonics.  It probably does not make that much of a difference in 556 since the barrel probably does not flex as much compared to a 308.  However, I would rather have a non fluted barrel that is light weight and accurate like a Hanson profile, which PWS seems to use because fluting does change the barrel harmonics, and there may be variations from gun to gun based on how the fluting was done.  That does not mean that LWRC piston guns are inaccurate, but based on some website or people testing of LWRC, it is very accurate when match ammo is used but no so accurate when regular 5.56 ammo is used.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of the piston systems are proprietary and hence, the parts from different brands are not interchangeable.  However, the conversion kits from Adam Arms and Syrac can be used to build your own short stroke gun.  Since I can build these short short systems after building multiple uppers, I would rather  get a system I could not build myself if I were to spend nearly 2K for a gun.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#50]
The Ruger is heavy. I would go with a LWRC M6IC. Please don't get an AA kit. Another good option is the LMT.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top