Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2015 6:05:58 PM EDT
I just got the email flyer for this. Is this a good deal for a piston driven AR? Is the rifle itself decent?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I just got the email flyer for this. Is this a good deal for a piston driven AR? Is the rifle itself decent?
View Quote

Yes and yes.

The main gripe with piston-driven Ruger SR556 rifles is the limited availability of aftermarket accessories.  The situation is improving...but still not up-to-snuff compared to a direct-impingement AR.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If I hadn't just put together another AR I would jump all over that.  I like those, and that's a good price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, that's a great price. I see them at shows for $1599. I would jump on it and not look back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The CDNN model is the SR-556EC or whatever Ruger calls it.  It is their ban compliant gun without a flash hider and a pinned stock.  

If you want a gun with a collapsing stock and flash hider I think you'd be better off buying an SR-556E.  Those guns are under a Grand and you'd probably come close to that by the time you replaced the buffer tube and stock and paid a gunsmith to pull and thread the barrel.

With that said, the CDNN gun is probably a good deal and would be fantastic as a base for a custom gun.  Buy it and replace the buffer tube and related parts with a VLTOR A5 system and EMOD stock.  Then send the upper to Marvin Pitts and have him either replace the factory barrel with a 1x7 light profile or recontour and thread the Ruger barrel to something light and handy.  Then you'd have a first class blaster.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The CDNN model is the SR-556EC or whatever Ruger calls it.  It is their ban compliant gun without a flash hider and a pinned stock.  

If you want a gun with a collapsing stock and flash hider I think you'd be better off buying an SR-556E.  Those guns are under a Grand and you'd probably come close to that by the time you replaced the buffer tube and stock and paid a gunsmith to pull and thread the barrel.

View Quote

A flash hider is not an absolute must-have accessory.  If the gun is just for range work, hunting, and/or plinking....one could do without the FH.  I have an AR that doesn't have a muzzle device, and it does not have that bad of a report when fired.

None of my bolt guns (all of which are calibers larger than .223/5.56) have a device on the muzzles.  I hunt, plink, and fire them at the range...no problems.

Unless it's for muzzle jump (as in a compensator), FH's are pretty much for a battle rifle.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it have a chrome lined bore? I can`t find any info other than cold hammer forged.

ETA: never mind. I found it . No chrome lined bore or barrel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
No chrome bore or chamber,and when I called Ruger after a 20 min wait they said no . I asked if it was nitrated ,she said she could not give any info on weather it had any treatment of any kind in the chamber or bore. So I just ordered a Adams Arms 14.5 pinned piston upper blem for $435.00 and it is nitrated both bore and chamber . Using an Anderson Arms lower from AIM and will just build one . in the end I figure with all the AR parts I have laying around ,I will be in the finished rifle for $575.00
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No chrome bore or chamber,and when I called Ruger after a 20 min wait they said no . I asked if it was nitrated ,she said she could not give any info on weather it had any treatment of any kind in the chamber or bore. So I just ordered a Adams Arms 14.5 pinned piston upper blem for $435.00 and it is nitrated both bore and chamber . Using an Anderson Arms lower from AIM and will just build one . in the end I figure with all the AR parts I have laying around ,I will be in the finished rifle for $575.00
View Quote

Where did you order from?  That sounds like a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
they have blems on their site.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top