Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2014 3:51:25 PM EDT
Back story:

I just had a couple muzzle breaks installed on my MK116 Mod1 and a BCM upper so that I can run my Saker 556. This was done by a reputable gunsmith and he said that as long as the barrel is made by a quality US manufacture that I'm good to go and that I don't really have to worry about the threads being concentric to the bore "especially on an AR, if it was an AK we'd have problems". After the brakes were installed I  did a quick inspection by mounting the cans to the PWS and BCM uppers and looked down the breach to see if there was a detectable misalignment. I didn't see any, so I trusted my gunsmith and proceeded with shooting my rifles suppressed at a night match.

The questions below were developed after the inspection of my can following shooting my Mk116 at the night match and testing out my BCM. Upon close inspection I think that there may be a very light baffle strike which now has meme paranoid after I started researching it more.

Upon further research it would seem that just because the barrel is from a "quality" manufacture doesn't mean that the threads are going to be concentric.

Questions:

1st: Are the threads concentric to the bore on a PWS? What about BCM? For those who shoot suppressed, what has been your experience regarding the threads being concentric [or not[]?

2nd: If the threads are not concentric on the PWS, how do I reconcile this? I don't want to void my warranty.

The BCM barrel I can easily have removed and sent to ADCO or someone like them. However with the PWS, because of it proprietary system I cannot get replacement barrels and I'm pretty sure that I'd void my warranty.

3rd: What has been your guy's experience shooting the PWS system suppressed, if you have input/ experiences of PWS vs DI suppressed that would be greatly appreciated?

Since I've already shot the PWS with the can on it, I noticed that I was getting a lot of gas to the face. This with mild 223 loads on gas setting 3. Setting 4 was barely spitting the brass out. I thought piston systems were supposed to be better than DI for suppressed use? When briefly trying out the BCM, I didn't really notice much difference between the piston system of the PWS and the DI system of the BCM. Maybe I just need to try it more, but if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated  because I'm thinking of dropping my PWS setup for BCM. If I can't detect any real difference, then I'd rather go with something that has more standardized parts, is more affordable, easier to work on/ customize, plus BCM enhanced lightweight barrel with KMR rail is A LOT lighter than my PWS setup with the same equipment on it.

The post ended up being much longer than I had intended, but any input regarding the questions/ topics above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
1: The threads on my PWS were and I had no issues installing my Surefire brake to it.

2: If they are not, call PWS customer service and tell them. They will most likely fix the issue.

3: You will always get gas to the face, with an AR pattern design. There are methods you can do, to reduce this amount but it will always has some. Your adjustable gas block is helping it a bit already. You could install a gas vent for your forward assist or use a gas buster charging handle.

Piston systems still run a little cleaner, vs DI, while suppressed but not by a massively huge margin. Piston setups still run dirty, when a suppressor is attached, even for the setups that are designed around piston.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Zerlak, thank you for your input. How did you determine that the threads were concentric without taking every apart? Did you just have a gunsmith check it for you?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, my smith checked it, before he rockset my brake on. Had 0 issues, running with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You could get a dowel rod at any hardware store as close to your bore diameter and run it through with the supressor mounted on each and see if it stays centered or has a slight cant you should be able to tell that's where I'd start. Any chance of some pics? I shot my direct thread on every rifle I have and 2 are pws mk1 uppers and no problemo. A 7 and a 16"

Keep us updated please!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]

I've had a PWS older Vltor upper'd Diablo forever. I run a can on it. You'' get considerable gas in the face with either the DI or piston systems. It's inevitable.

If there threads on your barrels....any barrels... were not concentric (not having the same axis point) then you'd have impact of round and muzzle piece or can.

It sounds like your gunsmith is just trying to sound "knowledgeable" and blowing you extra air. It makes his job seem more needed than necessary.

You may have had the suppressor work it's way loose and cant as it started to unwind off the muzzle threads...

I've done that after a hard days training class... I mean, who reaches up and grabs a HOT CAN all the time to make sure?

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a PWS MK112.  With a surefire SOCOM suppressor attached, it felt like it had the same amount of gas to the face as a 14.5" barreled AR with the same can attached, same ammo.  The gas setting was set to suppressed, military ammo on the PWS.  Both guns were shot with a gas buster charging handle.

I once installed a surefire brake to a SCAR 16 and it was not concentric.  Luckily I looked down the barrel and had another gun with which to confirm my suspicions.  It can leave you second guessing yourself it it's close.  It ended up that I installed the brake/adapter incorrectly by reusing the stock spacer.  I couldn't believe that after that length of threads and amount of torque that it would be off.  After using the surefire supplied spacer ring, everything was perfect.  Test firing confirmed all was well.  Lesson learned.

The SCAR had a noticeable amount of less gas to the face, even more so on the "suppressed" setting.  All experiences were in an indoor range.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top