Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 8:54:43 AM EDT
Hi, I'm Pete and I am a new member.

I have read a lot of threads about the AA piston guns and I think it is the direction that I am leaning for my first AR-type rifle.
I have selected this one from Buds, as it is in my budget range.

Right now, I will only use this gun for plinking at the range and maybe varmint control, probably not shooting much past 100 yards. I'm sure I'll like the platform and maybe buy a super-nice AR later in my life. This will be my starter.

I read that most people are satisfied with the blems they have received from AA, and frankly I'm sure I'll ding it up a bunch, so cosmetics aren't important. I heard AAs service is really good also.

Anyone with this particular rifle that can give insight to the functional reliability after shooting it a bunch?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Pete
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I had to have a piston gun not long after they came out years ago.   Prolly 2k rds thru it and no issues.  here it is next to a plate I was banging at 400 yds.
Bolt stays clean, make sure you clean the piston assembly regularly, it aint an AK.

I was misinformed, mine was not an AA upper, maker is unk, but they did a good job.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
i have an AA mid length, that i wasted 160 rounds on trying to get it to feed an entire mag with no success. turned out when i sent it back it had an undersized gas port.

then i have an AA 11.5 upper that's been flawless from day one.

since the middy came back it ran flawlessly through 100 rounds too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As to functional reliability, it comes with our lifetime warranty. No warranty cards, no registration, no bs. As long as it has our logo on it or we made it will will make it right forever. We have several demo guns in our inventory that have seen over 100k rounds and still run strong with nothing more than routine maintenance.
View Quote

Ah! Well that explains why I never found the warranty or product registrarion card in my Huldra box.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered from Buds last week and the rifle should arrive at my FFL today.

I'm super excited. I have some flip up iron sights and pmags in the works... I should probably hit the store today for some ammo.. I figure I'll want to shoot it right away.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Pete
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I meant that I ordered it Tuesday and the FFL will get it today. that's some fast shipping.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my AA Middy Blem a lot.  I swapped the stock for a Vltor Emod which I had on another AR.  Also installed an ALG ACT Trigger set , Magpul BAD, forward QD, bottom rails.
Last time out, had 1 jam on feeding.  It was about midway through a mag of 20.  Trigger released, heard a click & nothing.  Charging handle wouldn't budge.  You could see the round was OOB.  Range Master did the butt slap to release it.  Not a mark on the primer, but a small gouge on the bullet.   Could see nothing wrong with the feed ramp or the Troy Battlemag.   The remainder of the mag & subsequent mags fired with no problems.
Still not enough posts here to imbed photos, just click on AA Middy below.
AA Middy
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I just recently purchased a AA mid-length blem with the Samson rail. I've been reading the posts on here and I'm wondering what problems I should look for when this arrives at my ffl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm picking mine up in 2 hours at my FFL. I'll give it the once-over with him, and then the deep-look for blemishes when I get home.

If I find anything remarkable, Ill post back here.

Pete
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Two months ago I ordered the Blem from Buds with the Samson Rail. With the rifle taken down completely , the Shop owner and I could not see any defects or blemishes on the rifle. I have put about 300 rounds (556 and 223) thru it using all types of ammo with no issues at all. Very happy with the purchase!!! Very accurate. I wish I would have taken some pics of Sundays outing showing the groups at 75 yds. Very Very tight!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok I got it and unboxed it at the FFL to look it over. There is no blemish anywhere on it that I could see at all. It was a bit oily but that was it.

I guess there was one small thing.. on the top rail there was a tiny-tiny ding in the metal. I "fixed" it with a sharpie.
I'll probably get worse dings on it moving it in and out of the safe.

I'm totally satisfied and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Very happy with mine.  MY "issue" was the charging handle--looked like someone attacked it in a few paces with a flat edged screwdriver-no big deal, I swap those out anyway!!  Make sure you call and get the instruction manual: if you plan on doing anything but regular shooting--I run a suppressor, and have to adjust the gas setting.  Got the manual within 3 days of calling, from Texas, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Any body know how much the middy w the quad rail weighs?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I am very happy with mine. I couldn't find a single blem even when I took it apart. After my first range trip the coating the case deflector is a little worn, but such is life. My dumb ass didn't understand how the piston "settings" work for the suppressed v normal modes and I couldn't get the rifle to cycle initially but it's been great ever since.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two blems: Midlength 16" (purchased as a full gun from Buds) and a 16" Carbine upper. Outside of the normal bit of fiddling to get them up an running properly they have run without issue. The midlength for a few thousand rounds, the carbine is newer a lesser round count.

Neither had any visible 'blems' on them. I am firmly convinced that the retailer selling them was only selling them as 'blems' to be able to go below MAP.

As a reference point I have numerous other AA products (11.5 Elite, a 16" Ultralight and 11.5 Evo both built from kits/parts, and a 545 Evo upper) that all run spectacularly with the exception of the 545 (which is the subject of another thread). Building the ones from kits/parts was both enjoyable, as well as enlightening on how the piston system really functions. My favorite of the group is the 11.5 Evo that I built.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top