Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2014 5:14:28 PM EDT
I might trade a watch for 10.5" LWRC M6A2 upper. Opinions of the LWRC product are appreciated.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one and LOVE it, it's a F'ing laser to shoot. the only down side to me is that the gas is vented into the handguard and that makes it kind of hot to shoot without gloves. i would love to have a 10 inch upper from them, when i have called LWRC, the CS people are friendly and helpful.  i would recommend LWRC the rifles are solid, accurate and fun to shoot, best of luck
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably the third best piston system available.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
LWRC are great products.  I currently own three of them.  I was a local group shoot yesterday and the RO shot my IC.  He walked up to it and his eyes widened.  He said it is a pleasure to shoot.  OP, a few questions for you.

1.) Do you know the round count on it?
2.) What model/maker of watch?

I would say look up the value of both and see if the numbers are close or in your favor, maybe not heavily in your favor so as to not screw your friend.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
An A2 was my first L'dub, it was spot on. A tad heavy, but an excellent shooter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It is an Omega Seamaster. I value at $1300-$1500.
50 rounds thru the upper.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an Omega Seamaster. I value at $1300-$1500.
50 rounds thru the upper.
View Quote

That seems like a good trade then.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
LWRC is having a sale for a little while longer I think.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, what systems would you rank higher?

Thx
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx

Hk and PWS.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hk and PWS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx

Hk and PWS.

HK and PWS...?

i want to see their system, many shooters claim one is better than the other, yet on their web sites i NEVER see the actual system in a skeletal or break down view, i know what the LWRC/LWRCI versions are because i have one of the very first gas piston systems the original LWRC company made, show me what their gas piston system looks like and i'll give you my unprofessional but very knowledgeable opinion of them.  OK ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

HK and PWS...?

i want to see their system, many shooters claim one is better than the other, yet on their web sites i NEVER see the actual system in a skeletal or break down view, i know what the LWRC/LWRCI versions are because i have one of the very first gas piston systems the original LWRC company made, show me what their gas piston system looks like and i'll give you my unprofessional but very knowledgeable opinion of them.  OK ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx

Hk and PWS.

HK and PWS...?

There is the PWS. I'm not able to find the H&K, at this time.

I personally prefer the LWRC setup, over both the PWS and H&K but I'd  love to own any of those 3. Best externalized piston systems in the market, shoved into an AR platform.

ETA: I seem to fail at embedding, so here is a link to the video
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
3rd best is funny

only lwrc and h&k are proven systems by boys where the stars and strips in actual combat but mall ninjas gotta hate....too funny
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
3rd best is funny

only lwrc and h&k are proven systems by boys where the stars and strips in actual combat but mall ninjas gotta hate....too funny
View Quote

I'd like to know which US military unit uses LWRC rifles.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

DEA doesn't count. They are the only ones professunal enough for the LWRC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't trying to start any BS in a tech forum, I was honestly interested in anyone's and everyone's opinions on what they considered the best piston systems.

I don't have any experience with them in AR's and would like to get one soon but it's a hard decision for me on which one to buy. I'm not so concerned with the cost I just want a good one for my first piston purchase.

Cheers, fellas.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_jMVynheY

I personally prefer the LWRC setup, over both the PWS and H&K but I'd  love to own any of those 3. Best externalized piston systems in the market, shoved into an AR platform.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx

Hk and PWS.

HK and PWS...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_jMVynheY

you done good.., you posted exactly what i want to see, i wonder if there is a better video or even close up close still photos,  i like it simply because the buffer spring and the inertial forward movement of the BCG is the force returning the action back to battery, and has fewer moving parts.
thank you,
Bud
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:20:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

you done good.., you posted exactly what i want to see, i wonder if there is a better video or even close up close still photos,  i like it simply because the buffer spring and the inertial forward movement of the BCG is the force returning the action back to battery, and has fewer moving parts.
thank you,
Bud
View Quote

Happy to help. I did find a cutaway image of the MR 556 rifle but it was just a still image of a promotional mat that H&K produces. I can send you the link to it, if you're interested. I haven't been able to find any videos of a cutaway H&K MR556 though, sadly.

Realistically speaking, you'd be well suited with any of the above mentioned externalized piston setups. I toyed with the notion of picking up an H&K MR556 myself but ended up sticking with LWRCs. Just my personal preference and I can keep all of my parts within the same setup, so works for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
i done a pretty extensive search ystdy. and found some info on H&K's, probably some stuff you and everyones else who likes/uses gas piston rifles.

i have 4 LWRC/LWRCI piston versions, i like every thing about them except for that damn flat spring POS, one of my LWRCI guns has had 2 broken springs with less than 5,000 rnds., i went to my local Ace Hdwr. store and found the right size ROUND wire spring, it was a bit long so i nipped off a half inch, installed it and now after about 2,500 rnds it is still functioning very well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i done a pretty extensive search ystdy. and found some info on H&K's, probably some stuff you and everyones else who likes/uses gas piston rifles.

i have 4 LWRC/LWRCI piston versions, i like every thing about them except for that damn flat spring POS, one of my LWRCI guns has had 2 broken springs with less than 5,000 rnds., i went to my local Ace Hdwr. store and found the right size ROUND wire spring, it was a bit long so i nipped off a half inch, installed it and now after about 2,500 rnds it is still functioning very well.
View Quote

A guy posted a youtube video about his spring, and spring cup, busting on him, while out in the field, and not even noticing. Rifle functioned for him, without the parts operating. Makes me ponder if the system could actually work without the spring and actually use the one piece carrier to push the op rod back into place.

Would be an interesting test.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#19]
It's my personal bought rifle for duty use and I highly recommend it...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
This LWRC thread falls right in line with all the rest, but the stars and stripes comment really takes the cake on this one
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Explain please.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This LWRC thread falls right in line with all the rest, but the stars and stripes comment really takes the cake on this one
View Quote

Could you clarify this statement for me please.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I think he's referring to the military tested mall cop reply above.   I have two LWRC's and a PWS and I'm going with the PWS as a hair better.  No springs and less weight are hard to argue with.  I think the fact that LWRC's needing a better spring, mags won't drop out and their out of spec bolt hold open issues are not worthy of a $2K rifle.  The LWRC has far better furniture and the stock sights are very worthy of a $2k rifle.  I would never use military testing as a gauge to prove worthiness.  Still can't bear to sell one of the LWRC's however.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#24]
LWRC has some nice features but their QC has been hit or miss, you have to take the top rail off and service the gas system and a couple other more personal things I don't care for.

That said the Six8 is awesome and I'm going to get a receiver set and a Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Wondering, while we're on the subject now, could anyone speak to the quality of or just your opinions in general of the LMT piston?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LWRC has some nice features but their QC has been hit or miss, you have to take the top rail off and service the gas system and a couple other more personal things I don't care for.

That said the Six8 is awesome and I'm going to get a receiver set and a Noveske barrel.
View Quote

qc hit or miss?  didn't you say you 'shot one once' in another thread then opined on how there were better pistons out there?  Odd comments about a company you've only handled a product for 'once' no?

I've owned 3 of them, friends have them, we don't really see threads on them here or elsewhere so where is this qc hit or miss?

that said, and I've always said this, every company puts out some pieces that will not be what the purchaser wants.  I've owned most of the big names and some of the smaller ones and the only rifles that will be 100% perfect guaranteed first time is a home build
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
My 5.56 PSD is a beast. No issues other than it does "kick" pretty hard. I don't know if that's just piston SBRs or all SBRs. Very noticeable difference from 14.5 gas and piston rifles I have shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm glad your samples work. I pay close attention and am aware when there are recalls, design changes or in the case of LWRC when a friend starts a deployment with M6 armed DEA agents and ends a deployment with M4A1 armed DEA agents.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm glad your samples work. I pay close attention and am aware when there are recalls, design changes or in the case of LWRC when a friend starts a deployment with M6 armed DEA agents and ends a deployment with M4A1 armed DEA agents.
View Quote

Able to shed anymore information or friend request you to be tight lipped?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LWRCs didn't function well and they switched to RRAs. Thats mostly what I know about it. There have been a couple of rough patches for LWRC, they seem to be doing well now. I find it unfortunate that the Colt deal was lost.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The LWRCs didn't function well and they switched to RRAs. Thats mostly what I know about it. There have been a couple of rough patches for LWRC, they seem to be doing well now. I find it unfortunate that the Colt deal was lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would of been interesting, if the Colt deal did go through. I also have heard of a few rough patches for LWRC but things "seem" to be going better for them but that could be all surface stuff.

Any information as to what didn't function well about them? Op rods bending? Springs crapping out? Failure to feeds/ejects? Bolt breakages? I'm just trying to figure out what to look for.

I'd love it if LWRC would do what Daniel Defense did and do a full on hardcore torture test of their platform and record it for everyone to see. If only I had the extra cash, I'd do it for everyone to see but alas, I just can't right now
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#32]
He didn't say, though knowing him he looked closely while he was there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would of been interesting, if the Colt deal did go through. I also have heard of a few rough patches for LWRC but things "seem" to be going better for them but that could be all surface stuff.

Any information as to what didn't function well about them? Op rods bending? Springs crapping out? Failure to feeds/ejects? Bolt breakages? I'm just trying to figure out what to look for.

I'd love it if LWRC would do what Daniel Defense did and do a full on hardcore torture test of their platform and record it for everyone to see. If only I had the extra cash, I'd do it for everyone to see but alas, I just can't right now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of that stuff in the hardcore test would be passed by just about every rifle out there as the materials and construction are nearly identical.   The function tests were a joke as the dust cover was closed and the barrel was taped.  They did that as dirt in an AR chamber of any kind has a high probability of causing a malfunction as there is little tolerance in any of these for much more than the bolt carrier.  Those conscientious about keeping the dust cover closed fair better than those who don't.  This was also tough on the FAL and hence sand cuts.   You want a test, get dirt where it will cause a problem, not all over the outside.  Even after the water test he made sure to empty it all out, that is one issue the pistons won't have.  Again, who here or in just about every battle scenario will submerge a rifle and Rambo about the place. Heck, while I'm at it, I'm calling BS on the LWRC's not functioning well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Tight lipped like a cryptic DEA agent, who's whole squad shot exactly zero rounds in anger, but had a bunch of problems.  Like they might send a black helicopter to whisk off Combat Jack if he blew the lid off of the LWRC scandal.  So the naming of a manufacturer as a problem, but what it might be is a step to far--is again, BS.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most of that stuff in the hardcore test would be passed by just about every rifle out there as the materials and construction are nearly identical.   The function tests were a joke as the dust cover was closed and the barrel was taped.  They did that as dirt in an AR chamber of any kind has a high probability of causing a malfunction as there is little tolerance in any of these for much more than the bolt carrier.  Those conscientious about keeping the dust cover closed fair better than those who don't.  This was also tough on the FAL and hence sand cuts.   You want a test, get dirt where it will cause a problem, not all over the outside.  Even after the water test he made sure to empty it all out, that is one issue the pistons won't have.  Again, who here or in just about every battle scenario will submerge a rifle and Rambo about the place. Heck, while I'm at it, I'm calling BS on the LWRC's not functioning well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough, on most of the things they subjected it to. They actually did a follow up video, for a second round, and it didn't fair as well as they kept the dust cover opened. It did fine, after manually cycling the second round, after the chambered round fired, but again that is something that would probably work for most AR15s out there.

I'm more curious as to the durability of the rifle though, from the standpoint of being thrown from a truck, having it run over and such. Would probably be fine but just would be fun to see.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tight lipped like a cryptic DEA agent, who's whole squad shot exactly zero rounds in anger, but had a bunch of problems.  Like they might send a black helicopter to whisk off Combat Jack if he blew the lid off of the LWRC scandal.  So the naming of a manufacturer as a problem, but what it might be is a step to far--is again, BS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Ahhhh, this is one of those modern best piston threads, as LMT isn't even mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#38]
No problems here and CDNN has them for $800 in there latest email.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I find it unfortunate that the Colt deal was lost.
View Quote

i have heard rumors about this "Colt deal", is there anyone here who knows what was involved ?

C.J. do you have any "inside" insight about this alleged "Colt deal" ?

i was told a year or so back that LWRCI is the pit of rumor mills concerning the owner, investors and customers.

i would appreciate any "inside" info anyone could produce........, be it truth or fiction ! ... ...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I own a M6A2 and a SPR, both function flawlessly and shoot every type of ammo I've put in them.  Although, they are slightly heavier than my DI rifles.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I also own an M6a2 which was my first piston gun and have used the crap out of that gun, never had one issue with it, not even a jam, fail to feed, anything.(I'm sure one day it could happen) and I own a new M6IC, that thing is an amazing piece of hardware as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

i have heard rumors about this "Colt deal", is there anyone here who knows what was involved ?

i was told a year or so back that LWRCI is the pit of rumor mills concerning the owner, investors and customers.

i would appreciate any "inside" info anyone could produce........, be it truth or fiction ! ... ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I find it unfortunate that the Colt deal was lost.

I know a deal was halfway announced, and Paul LW blamed specific people for fucking it up. People who he had issues with when the company was his.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
3rd best is funny

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3rd best is funny

Mall Ninja lol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't put much stock in the words of a guy who has not been part of the company since 2006.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had a 10.5" A2 upper since 08' ish, maybe early 09 when my stamp came back.My intention was a suppressor host, which has yet to happen :(
It has the 1 piece BCG. I've shot pretty much only Wolf & Herters 223, and have not had a single FTF, FTE with that cheap ammo. I have had a blown primer or 2 tho w/ the steel shit.
I take this rifle camping in 4 seasons, slung over my back hiking, sitting out in the rain/snow, etc.
It is heavy, but I have the barrel off & ready for a re-profile at ADCO.
I have shot around 2000 rounds thru mine, so fairly low count compared to others.
I only clean the bcg about every 500 plus rounds, and it is just b/c I feel the need to, not b/c it isn't running right.
I have all the replacement parts for the piston, but no issues yet w/ the flat spring or cup.
My next piston will likely be Adams Arms, mainly b/c the price point. Once I get an AA, I might just do a 'torture test' on the LWRC. I'm not a devout piston guy, I have several DI guns I love, too.
Oh yeah, I ditched the quad rail a few years ago & went w/ a Rainier/Samson rail for weight savings, been a nice rail IMO.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wouldn't put much stock in the words of a guy who has not been part of the company since 2006.
View Quote

I would, considering his contacts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I have 2 SPR's and a REPR . All of them have run perfect with zero issues . Every time I call customer service they've been awesome to me . My 2 cents .
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

qc hit or miss?  didn't you say you 'shot one once' in another thread then opined on how there were better pistons out there?  Odd comments about a company you've only handled a product for 'once' no?

I've owned 3 of them, friends have them, we don't really see threads on them here or elsewhere so where is this qc hit or miss?

that said, and I've always said this, every company puts out some pieces that will not be what the purchaser wants.  I've owned most of the big names and some of the smaller ones and the only rifles that will be 100% perfect guaranteed first time is a home build
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and then the builder must know 101% what he or she is doing.., just my OPINION  

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I have owned three. Started with a regular M6a2 then went with a 10.5 and now I have an SPR mod 0. I can say that the fit and finish of each one I've had has been superb. LWRC implements numerous very awesome features into their guns (nickel baron bcgs, cerakote finishes, and I personally love the removable top rail to clean). That being said, I'm still giving the number one spot to HK for obvious reasons but $3200 for an upper is not acceptable. Downfall to all piston systems is moving parts. Having to buy extra rods and cups is annoying and expensive. In all, I think LWRC makes a phenomenal rifle and a close friend who went to LWRCs commercial and catalog shoots had some very cool stories about the rifles. Thumbs up from me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top