Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:13:00 PM EDT
So has anyone tried these yet?

Here
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in this as well.  I have been waiting for it to come out for almost a year now and would have one on order except I need new tires this month instead.  It just became available about a week ago so I doubt anyone has a range report yet but I am really looking forward to anyone's input that has one.  Youtube video reviews would be great!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
From other pictures I have seen, it looks like the compression spring is housed inside the piston cylinder/gas block, the heating and cooling of the spring will likely cause it to fail.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
i would be interested in better detailed pics on and off of a rifle
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had any non piston'd ar's laying around I'd think about it.  The price point seems allright I suppose and it looks rather "low profile", but I too would like to see some more in depth pictures.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Please tell me this will work with a MK18 RIS II. I would love to get my CQBR setup with a piston.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please tell me this will work with a MK18 RIS II. I would love to get my CQBR setup with a piston.
View Quote

While I have no confirmation that it will, I would say it should.  I have been following this piston kit since early this year and based on a conversation somewhere around May or June of this year it is suppose to fit under a BCM KMR....  I have not confirmed this now that it is production but I have my fingers crossed....  Should probably just give them a call to confirm
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While I have no confirmation that it will, I would say it should.  I have been following this piston kit since early this year and based on a conversation somewhere around May or June of this year it is suppose to fit under a BCM KMR....  I have not confirmed this now that it is production but I have my fingers crossed....  Should probably just give them a call to confirm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would require them answering the phone and/or responding to an email. Syrac makes a great product but CS is not by any means their strong point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
any reason to go for this over an adams arms XLP set up? cause i'm not seeing it.

an xlp kit comes out at about $40 more, but it's a proven system. competitions good, but i don't see a reason to try an unknown product for very small savings. if it were $100 less than the adams arms kit and i was in the market for a new piston set up, maybe i'd take the chance, but i just don't see the reason to risk it at that price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
oops sorry double post.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

any reason to go for this over an adams arms XLP set up? cause i'm not seeing it.

an xlp kit comes out at about $40 more, but it's a proven system. competitions good, but i don't see a reason to try an unknown product for very small savings. if it were $100 less than the adams arms kit and i was in the market for a new piston set up, maybe i'd take the chance, but i just don't see the reason to risk it at that price.
View Quote
Adams is picky about certain barrel nuts, rails, etc. According to Syrac marketing, the Syrac only requires that the rod have a path through the gas tube hole in the upper receiver. I'm sure there will still be clearance issues with some super skinny rails but on paper it looks like it will have greater compatibility with current rails.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Adams is picky about certain barrel nuts, rails, etc. According to Syrac marketing, the Syrac only requires that the rod have a path through the gas tube hole in the upper receiver. I'm sure there will still be clearance issues with some super skinny rails but on paper it looks like it will have greater compatibility with current rails.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are the xlp set ups picky too? or are you basing that off of the standard railed gas block? because i'm using the standard railed block and starting to realize how much it limits my options for rails since i need the extended style rails with the top cut outs. if a manufacturer doesn't make a mid length with cut outs, oh well i'm SOL.

so i'm considering swapping to an xlp, but i don't know all its ups n downs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
On my Pistol M4 CQB(10.5) "clone" I am using a heavily modified KAC RIS rail with the Osprey piston system.  I had to take out everything in the rail that made it a RIS(turned it in to a RAS) and then do heavy dremel work to the inside.  

I may purchase a UK Ris lower however in the future to lock everything up a little bit more so.  

Sorry for the off topic post but thought some of you guys would find that info interesting.

ETA:
I also have an AA on another build and yes even with the XLP system they still did not address the problem of having to use a standard barrel nut/limited picks in rails.  That is the reason I didn't hold out for the XLP and just bought the regular version.  It does run like a top and I do love the thing though so I have nothing to complain about aside from lack of compatibility.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
are the xlp set ups picky too? or are you basing that off of the standard railed gas block? because i'm using the standard railed block and starting to realize how much it limits my options for rails since i need the extended style rails with the top cut outs. if a manufacturer doesn't make a mid length with cut outs, oh well i'm SOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jason Adams started Adams Arms. He then left and started Syrac Ordinance in 2011.

The limitation of the low profile Adams Arms offerings are discussed here:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jason Adams started Adams Arms. He then left and started Syrac Ordinance in 2011.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/642471_Adams_Arms_XLP_Piston_System.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good news to know about jason , means he probably has some good ideas.

well that news is kind of a bummer, so my options would still be limited by what uses a standard barrel nut. i don't agree with the raging in that thread though, they said it would fit under almost any rail, not that it would work with any rail. i think technically they made good on that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

well that news is kind of a bummer, so my options would still be limited by what uses a standard barrel nut. i don't agree with the raging in that thread though, they said it would fit under almost any rail, not that it would work with any rail. i think technically they made good on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is when they first came out and showed it off they said it would fit under any rail. Then after people bought them and realized they wouldn't fit under their rails then AA edited their wording to most rails.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Problem is when they first came out and showed it off they said it would fit under any rail. Then after people bought them and realized they wouldn't fit under their rails then AA edited their wording to most rails.
View Quote

Which is still BS
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From other pictures I have seen, it looks like the compression spring is housed inside the piston cylinder/gas block, the heating and cooling of the spring will likely cause it to fail.
View Quote

I sure hope not. I like how clean and simple this setup looks. They must be using a more heat tolerant spring material.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I sure hope not. I like how clean and simple this setup looks. They must be using a more heat tolerant spring material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to get a response from Jason on this. I posted on Syrac's Facebook and Industry pages with these exact questions.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd like to get a response from Jason on this. I posted on Syrac's Facebook and Industry pages with these exact questions.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am waiting for him to respond too. I see somebody was on today, but ignored your question.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
there may not be a return spring, like in the POF system the BCG returning into battery pushes the op rod back forward.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a response from them. The spring location was accounted for and it has been thoroughly tested. I also found out that these will not fit under a NSR. I think I am going to pull the trigger on one of these for a MK18 RIS II upper and see how it handles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Regarding heat, the weakening/failure of a compression has nothing to do with heating and cooling. The issue is the temperature the spring heats up to. As long as the temperature does not reach the tempering temperature of the spring material there will be no negative effect on the spring. We chose a spring MTRL that has a tempering temp. that is higher than what a rifle's temperature will reach with continuos full auto fire of 480 rounds. That is 16 30 round mags. At that point you are starting to degrade the barrel. If you want/need to fire full auto continuously for more than that you should get a HMG (i.e. 240 or the like). If you have deep pockets get a mini gun. :-)

We have done extensive testing over the last year during the development of this system. We have fired thousands of rounds on the spring full auto. We would not put out a product that would fail. We have a lifetime warranty. The only function of the spring is to return the rod back to it's static position (pre-firing). You can run the system without the spring if you are worried about it. Yes, we have run thousands of round without the spring in the system. I assure you there is no issue with the spring.

V/R,

Jason Adams
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding heat, the weakening/failure of a compression has nothing to do with heating and cooling. The issue is the temperature the spring heats up to. As long as the temperature does not reach the tempering temperature of the spring material there will be no negative effect on the spring. We chose a spring MTRL that has a tempering temp. that is higher than what a rifle's temperature will reach with continuos full auto fire of 480 rounds. That is 16 30 round mags. At that point you are starting to degrade the barrel. If you want/need to fire full auto continuously for more than that you should get a HMG (i.e. 240 or the like). If you have deep pockets get a mini gun. :-)

We have done extensive testing over the last year during the development of this system. We have fired thousands of rounds on the spring full auto. We would not put out a product that would fail. We have a lifetime warranty. The only function of the spring is to return the rod back to it's static position (pre-firing). You can run the system without the spring if you are worried about it. Yes, we have run thousands of round without the spring in the system. I assure you there is no issue with the spring.

V/R,

Jason Adams

I figured as much. So much for getting out of debt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Delete - Jason covered it all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Its beautiful...

Any idea if a gen 1 DD LiteRail will work?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I assume all of the Magpul MOE and MOE Slim Line hand guards are good to go, as well?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top