Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2014 11:21:45 PM EDT
Hi All,
I've got a SR-556 that is blowing primers and mauling the case head of a particular brand of ammo.  The ammo in question is brass cased, 55 Gr FMJ.  It seems the Ruger doesn't like this brand but will function everything else.  The ammo in question works in my Palmetto and Stag (DGI guns) with no problems (no blown primers or mauling of the case head).  I've tried adjusting the gas piston from setting 2 to setting 1, to see if the rifle was over-gassed, and it didn't make a difference.  The Ruger is blowing primers out of this ammo about 4 out of 5 rounds.  

So here's the questions.
Has anyone else had a problem with their Ruger with certain brands of ammo (blown primers/mauled case heads)?
Is this a problem with the rifle or the ammo (I would lean toward the ammo since it works in the other rifles)?

If it's the ammo, it will be relegated to use in my bolt rifle.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like over pressured ammo?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go with ammo problems too. Most likely your Rugers chamber is tighter, so the problem is more obvious. And changing the gas setting will not make a difference since that only affects the gas sent into the piston to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
My SR 556 has never blown a primer with any type of 556/223 ammunition. My vote is the ammunition is the problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
How does other ammo work in gthe gun?  Is this the only ammo that does this?  What brand and or type (#) ammo are you using?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the only ammo that doesn't function in the Ruger.  The ammo functions fine in my other AR's.  The ammo in question is the blue box Independence AR5.56.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the only ammo that doesn't function in the Ruger.  The ammo functions fine in my other AR's.  The ammo in question is the blue box Independence AR5.56.
View Quote

As I stated earlier (scroll up a bit), that it does not blow out the primer in other AR's does not mean it is any good...
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top