Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2014 6:17:43 AM EDT
does LWRC use a standard USGI barrel nut the one on my M6 looks like a standard barrel nut. reason i'm asking is that i need a long rail system, the Fortis and Centurion rail attach to the USGI. Fortis will clear the Adams Arms XLP system and looks to me like it will clear the LWRC as well. anyone tried this

LWRC told me a while back they were working on a rail set for the M6 and to watch their site, just getting impatient
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with Modern Outfitters, they have answers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check with Modern Outfitters, they have answers.
View Quote

thank you, i asked over in the LWRC forum, crickets
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Over the years the barrel nuts have changed, it can vary depending on when the upper was made. I know as of current the barrel nuts on the M6A2 line is what they onced used only for their G-Models (Government Models) which was a more heavy duty barrel nut in which they referred to as being. The piston runs though a hole within the barrel nut before it passes through the hole of the receiver. Prior to that was the more common style barrel nut in which the piston ran between the grooves / notches around the barrel nut before going into the receiver. LWRC deemed the G-Model style barrel nuts as more "heavy duty" I'm guessing because it enclosed the piston acting as an extra enclosement to the system which I think makes sense. However as with any or most all piston guns finding different rails / handgaurds that will fit will always be an issue due mainly to clearance of the piston system and gas blocks, this is ofcourse apart from the varying of different style barrel nuts manufacturers use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Over the years the barrel nuts have changed, it can vary depending on when the upper was made. I know as of current the barrel nuts on the M6A2 line is what they onced used only for their G-Models (Government Models) which was a more heavy duty barrel nut in which they referred to as being. The piston runs though a hole within the barrel nut before it passes through the hole of the receiver. Prior to that was the more common style barrel nut in which the piston ran between the grooves / notches around the barrel nut before going into the receiver. LWRC deemed the G-Model style barrel nuts as more "heavy duty" I'm guessing because it enclosed the piston acting as an extra enclosement to the system which I think makes sense. However as with any or most all piston guns finding different rails / handgaurds that will fit will always be an issue due mainly to clearance of the piston system and gas blocks, this is ofcourse apart from the varying of different style barrel nuts manufacturers use.
View Quote

thank you for the excellent info, the M6 i have is a early  build, the barrel nut looks like a USGI to me, my barrel nut tool fits on it. i called and talked with 2 different shops that sell LWRC, and both felt that the Fortis rails will work on my model, so i ordered a 14 inch rail set. both said the same thing about the barrel nuts changing over time. i did find out that their is a one piece bolt carrier upgrade for my rifle
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe theres some Vltor rails and some Samson Evo rails that will also fit those earlier barrel nuts. Modern_Outfitters over on the LWRC forum had made a thread specifically to see what rails would fit the M6A2 line. I recently purchased me a benchtop mill and I'm sure once I get it setup and running that I could probably mill away a small amount of material on other manufacturers rails like Troy Ind. and get it to work. I'm also sure with the right cutter I'd probably be able to do a clean enough job so there would be no need for touch up work of its anodized finish. I had this in mind for a couple PSD uppers I have just never had the time to mess with it though I'm sure it can very well be done. Oh yeah I should also mention the M6A2 line is my most favorite from LWRC. Am not much of a fan of "pencil guns" if ya will. LOLLL I like to at least have some sort of meat to grasp onto. LOL. Probably also why I like POF's and HK's as well. Hehe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
update- Fortis rail does not fit

i'll use the rail for a different project, back to searching for rails that work, next stop Samson
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The gas block is another issue.
Most rails won't fit over it and have it ride down in the channel. Some older gas blocks were much smaller, like on the M6AK and the SL's sight post can be chopped off and made to fit.

Other than that, there is usually going to be some work required.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Most rails won't fit over it and have it ride down in the channel. Some older gas blocks were much smaller, like on the M6AK and the SL's sight post can be chopped off and made to fit.

View Quote

i tried a set of Samson Evolution/ Rainier Arms rail set this after noon, very tight fit but, it the piston rod moves freely. finally
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i tried a set of Samson Evolution/ Rainier Arms rail set this after noon, very tight fit but, it the piston rod moves freely. finally
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like the L'dub forum is very quiet and well... boring lately. There was a whole thread dedicated to what other hand guard systems would work on their platforms. Hit up the search button over there, it was loaded with info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems like the L'dub forum is very quiet and well... boring lately. There was a whole thread dedicated to what other hand guard systems would work on their platforms. Hit up the search button over there, it was loaded with info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
It seems like the L'dub forum is very quiet and well... boring lately.
View Quote

the entire company is in turmoil, internal fighting as i have heard/read.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd like to see some sources more to sate my curiosity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Proof please
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have not heard that.  I do know that they have had changes at the top including top sales personnel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have not heard that.  I do know that they have had changes at the top including top sales personnel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, things are quite different, including employees. I've not heard of ant turmoil though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Proof please
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof please

if you knew this company like i do you wouldn't ask for proof, i have a history with this company for over 15 years, i know a lot of the former LWRC (Leitner-Wise Rifle Co.) "associates/employees", they keep me informed, kinda like knowing what your neighbor is doing on his side of the property line.., that a good enough answer for you and other doubters ??  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have not heard that. I do know that they have had changes at the top including top sales personnel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not heard that. I do know that they have had changes at the top including top sales personnel.

hummmmm ! how do you know that ? got proof ??  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#18]
See this posting: http://forum.lwrci.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9126.  I contacted Samson Manufacturing Customer Service and they have assured me that their Samson Evolution Rails will fit and function on the LWRC M6 series of upper receivers.  So based on that information, I ordered a Samson KM-EVO-7 Evolution Keymod rail from Samson for one of my LWRC rifles.

Also, in viewing this video: http://youtu.be/xKyIoy0csqo. a Samson Factory Representative is installing a Samson Evolution Rail on a AR with a gas piston system that looks very similar to LWRC's gas piston system (starting at 1:40).

Yes, some time back LWRC did state that they were going to offer a slimmer rail for their M4 upper receivers; but like you, I am tired of waiting. Not to pick on LWRC, but the lead times for all firearms' manufacturers is just too long!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Also, in viewing this video: http://youtu.be/xKyIoy0csqo. a Samson Factory Representative is installing a Samson Evolution Rail on a AR with a gas piston system that looks very similar to LWRC's gas piston system (starting at 1:40).

View Quote

That's a Black Rifle Arms piston system in Samson's video.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
See this posting: http://forum.lwrci.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9126.  I contacted Samson Manufacturing Customer Service and they have assured me that their Samson Evolution Rails will fit and function on the LWRC M6 series of upper receivers.  So based on that information, I ordered a Samson KM-EVO-7 Evolution Keymod rail from Samson for one of my LWRC rifles.

Yes, some time back LWRC did state that they were going to offer a slimmer rail for their M4 upper receivers; but like you, I am tired of waiting. Not to pick on LWRC, but the lead times for all firearms' manufacturers is just too long!
View Quote

the Samson Evo rail i installed was the 12 inch rail, fits snug looking forward to shooting it
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though I do not personally know any LWRC employees, I have what I'll call reliable sources and their is also public knowledge within the weapon industry of who went where.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps, but their customer service is still terrific.  Wilson went through an upheaval some time ago and came through the other side with their customer service reputation intact as well; hopefully, LWRC will be ok in the end.  Undoubtedly mine is the finest AR I've ever owned.

ps Like the Boston Strong thing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Perhaps, but their customer service is still terrific.  Wilson went through an upheaval some time ago and came through the other side with their customer service reputation intact as well; hopefully, LWRC will be ok in the end.  Undoubtedly mine is the finest AR I've ever owned.

ps Like the Boston Strong thing!
View Quote

I agree, their CS and products are still incredible.  Most people concerns are what the future QC will be.  Some are saying wait 6-9 months and see what happens.  I love my IC limited, waiting on my 16" REPR and have my UCIW in ATF jail.  

Thanks for the Boston Strong.  I am originally from Massachusetts, lived 45 min. from Boston.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's public knowledge, even discussed on their own forum.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#25]
My personal opinion is as long as the folks continue to run a tight ship thats all that matters. Keep the product quality and make the customers happy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#26]
customer service ? gimme a break, they want $5.00 for a broken return spring, any company worth their salt would replace a broken spring free of charge and pay the for the shipping also, i have had two springs break on one rifle and one spring on another, 3..., thats THREE springs broken on two rifles with less than 2,000 rnds total, their flat spring was one of the stupidist things they ever come up with.i went to my local ACE Hdwr. store and bought round springs, in one rifle that had TWO broken flat springs i now have over 3,000 rnds and NOT one broken !!  

maybe some of the dorks have been fired or jumped ship, but i still have issues with the company in general
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I believe they had an issue with a supplier on those springs at one time, not that many leaked out. The newer flatwire spring is reported to be much more durable than the original roundwire ones. They recommend replacement of that spring every 5k.

Are you running yours through a can?

I'm on my 4th L'dub and had zero issues. Round counts getting pretty high on two of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#28]
no can !

They recommend replacement of that spring every 5k
View Quote

no other piston rifle maker company recommends replacing anything after 5,000 rnds. why this one ? i say simply because flat springs are a disaster.., go round !  just my OPINION
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I believe they had an issue with a supplier on those springs at one time, not that many leaked out. The newer flatwire spring is reported to be much more durable than the original roundwire ones. They recommend replacement of that spring every 5k.

I'm on my 4th L'dub and had zero issues. Round counts getting pretty high on two of them.
View Quote

Ever try going beyond the 5k round count? I'm curious how long the springs can go, before experiencing any reliability issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ever try going beyond the 5k round count? I'm curious how long the springs can go, before experiencing any reliability issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know the effects, but they will run all day with the spring broken. Or so I hear.

I have a few springs and cups extra, I stuck one in my favorite at about 9k? YMMV.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know the effects, but they will run all day with the spring broken. Or so I hear.

I have a few springs and cups extra, I stuck one in my favorite at about 9k? YMMV.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the information. I only own a Six8 myself, so not like I will be racking up the thousands of rounds anytime soon.

I do hope to get an IC sometime but will be a bit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm green with envy, kind of. I would love a 6.8, but the ammo price right now would break my heart.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm green with envy, kind of. I would love a 6.8, but the ammo price right now would break my heart.
View Quote

Haha yeah... Cheapest I have is 15 dollars for a box of 20. Thanks to my current divorce, I haven't gotten to shoot it for a couple months.

I really need to get into the reload game and form 1 the Six8 and get the barrel chopped. Actually plan on getting LWRC to put an adjustable block onto my Six8. Will be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#34]
my oldest LWRC not only had two broken springs, it also had to have a new barrel, after about 2,000 rnds it was key holing, sent the upper back and barrel was replaced, no charge, no dissent, which is exactly what i expected.., thank you LWRCI !!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#35]
My current and ONLY "L dub" had about 8k rounds thru it before I started replacing springs.  I bought the rifle in 2006 before I PCS'd to Ft Lewis.  Now the total round count now is upwards of 11k..  Only 2 failures I've had were FTF due to (PMC Bronze) squib rounds.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top