Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 2:20:10 AM EDT
Hey Guys!
Posting this question for anyone out there that has experience stripping and reassembling a PWS MK1 MOD1 piston upper. Is it going to be possible for me to do it alone? I haven't received my upper yet but I cant seem to find any helpful resources online. Looks to me like they may use a proprietary barrel nut... I hope I'm wrong about that and am able to use the armorers wrench that I already own. ANYWAY... I'm here looking for help and advice for completely stripping it so anything you can do would be greatly appreciated!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Why? The parts are proprietary so there are no replacements.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Planning on hitting the whole setup with some Cerakote.... i plan on reassembling it with the same parts so I'm not worried about replacements so long as I don't break anything.... which is why I'm here :)
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hear this regurgitated all the time. I have never broken any parts in all the piston rifles I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Sparty; have you given PWS a call and asked them?

Seems like the first place to check.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I have! I sent them an email before I came on to the forums. And true to their reputation, their customer service is awesome and they got back to me straight away but unfortunately due to ITAR regulation they couldn't send me any kind of "shop manual" and just said that they don't recommend taking down the upper beyond removal of the BCG and handguard. Thats why I'm here!

I'm not too worried about it though... I've tinkered with my guns in the past and have never really had any problems... I just dont want to have to wing it when im taking out the gas key and messing with the barrel nut so i figured I'd see if someones done it all before
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Would you consider doing a write up if you do take it apart?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah of course! I figure if I cant find a write up a should probably do one!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

...there are, they are made by pws and sold at dealers, like apex gun parts. Just had to clarify for the new pws owner.

Op congrats on the purchase, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

...there are, they are made by pws and sold at dealers, like apex gun parts. Just had to clarify for the new pws owner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant that you can't get aftermarket additions.

PWS is my favorite of the piston companies.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks! I cant wait to get my hands on it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I misunderstood, my apologies.and amen to the second part of your post.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you just plug and tape the parts you don't want covered?  Ear plugs work great for the barrel and other openings.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you just plug and tape the parts you don't want covered?  Ear plugs work great for the barrel and other openings.
View Quote

Ear plugs are a great idea! i'll remember that if i cant strip this thing! I'm a little OCD about it though, i would ideally like to strip it completely

Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top