Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 8:25:55 PM EDT
I am considering "upgrading" my HB 5.45x39 upper to this. The Huldra has a melonite coating and the piston system, which on paper seems better for using crappy ammo than a parkerized DI upper.  Use will be plinking, as well as hunting with Hornady v-max and Wolf SP if it will feed.  I don't plan on shooting alot, but considering an "upgrade" if this will actually be an upgrade. Will I be spinning my wheels?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Being this is the piston section, I think you'll get a positive response on a piston set up.  I can't say it's needed, but it sure is clean.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My piston upper from AA in 5.45 x 39 works great.   I will say that you can use the standard AR mags with standard follower...but only load 25, and save yourself some money from buying the C-products units...which are kind of hit or miss anyways.

There is no proof that the 5.45 ammo you get is non corrosive.  Using gas piston allows you to clean much easier.   Do you want possible corrosive primer leftovers in your DI gas tube...that you can't realistically clean?

Just my $.02.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Meloniting generally leaves the metal inert to the corrosive agents found in less expensive (ne: Russian) ammo.

After doing extensive and probably overly technical reading about the process,  its benefits and drawbacks, I feel confident selecting this industrial coating versus parkerizing or chrome lining.

As with anything though, the quality of the application and QC process will ultimately speak to whether the end product has the integrity one would expect.

FYI: Huldra's barrels are made by Voodoo Innovations, sister company of Adams.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Recon, I don't have a 5.56 upper, on the 5.45 right now.  There is a Huldra semi-locally.  The M1S is at home, and I want something to shoot, and would also like to have something in case the chance for predator/varmint hunting comes up.  I guess I could also use 7n6 for deer or pigs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI: If you're comfortable with Adams Arms' reputation and products, then you would be with Huldra.
Huldra is a contract manufactured brand built by Adams.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a huldra and love it. The only thing I have noticed is the piston settings and 5.45 don't seem to mix. If you put the piston to off and shoot steel cased it always results in a lockup. Maybe for 5.56 brass it would be different. If you put the piston in the suppressed mode and you use a silencer it workes well. m
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#7]
They are correct, off is mainly only when using a 22 conversion kit etc. Shooting in off with center fire ammo isn't recommended and pushes the bolt straight back into the barrel extension as there is no unlocking off the bolt. Sometimes you have to use the forward assist to move the bolt back forward to release the pressure. None the less, we never, never recommend shooting in the off position.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave, do you by chance know if the wolf 55gr hollow or soft point will feed from the 5.45 upper?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top