Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:02:37 PM EDT
Looking for advice from individuals with experience with the PWS uppers, preferably mk114 or mk116 I guess.

I currently am running a mil spec carbine buffer spring with the stt2 buffer, and am looking for an upgrade to both the spring and buffer, unless afvised against it. I am asking mostly because the pws piston gas system is proprietary but supposedly closer to carbine than midlength according to PWS, and I havent seen an posts for this system regardimg this issue.

I have read an h2 with sprinco blue series buffer spring should work good or even an h3.. but that was for a DI gun. any suggestions for me?
Not complaining about recoil or muzzle rise, just wondering what would work best for reliability and any benefits that come with.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm using PWS H2 buffers in my MK107 and MK116.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
From everything I have seen and read, the PWS upper is one of the softest shooting pistons on the market right out the box. Cannot see why anyone would want to mess with perfection.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you read the post? Or just the title? And yes they are soft shooting, but it is just an upper, so you have to determine what the best buffer and spring combo is for it. Like the post says, I am not talking about softest shooting, this is in regards to reliability with feeding and ejecting and bolt bounce.

I can feel the bcg hit the back of the receiver extension everytime I fire, I have never had this issue with any other uppers, so im trying to see what other PWS owners are using.

Thanks for posting your experience with "what you have heard"
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm using PWS H2 buffers in my MK107 and MK116.
View Quote

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
When I got my upper I was wondering which buffer to use as well. I called PWS tech support and was told to run an H2 buffer.

The Spike's ST2 is not really an H2 its 4.6oz and the Spike's is something like 4.2oz IRC.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I got my upper I was wondering which buffer to use as well. I called PWS tech support and was told to run an H2 buffer.

The Spike's ST2 is not really an H2 its 4.6oz and the Spike's is something like 4.2oz IRC.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

I think im going to go with the h2, so thanks for that. I tried email and didnt hear back unfortunately.  Wondering if the h2 with a stronger spring woukd still work, or maybe one of the music wire springs that are a tad stiffer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the PWS  Mk110 Mod1 and I am running a standard carbine spring with H3 buffer. No issues.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What upper do you have?

I always run a carbine spring and carbine buffer with MK114 and MK116 guns.  I don't think I've ever had an issue.  I also like my guns to work with everything including weak steel case ammo.  If I went to a heavier spring or buffer, I'd be afraid that I might lose some reliability.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Since I already have a standard carbine spring and the stt2 buffer, im going to go with a blue sprinco spring and the pws h2 and then fool around with the two springs and buffers and will reply in this thread when I have time behind the 4 different possible set ups.

I like my rifle to be able to shoot whatever I put in it and so far sooo good, but we shall see if thats the case once I mess with it
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you read the post? Or just the title? And yes they are soft shooting, but it is just an upper, so you have to determine what the best buffer and spring combo is for it. Like the post says, I am not talking about softest shooting, this is in regards to reliability with feeding and ejecting and bolt bounce.

I can feel the bcg hit the back of the receiver extension everytime I fire, I have never had this issue with any other uppers, so im trying to see what other PWS owners are using.

View Quote

Actually, I  read your post. You wrote like you wanted to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, not that you were having issues with the current set-up.
You said nothing about your BCG running into the back of your buffer tube in your OP.
In other words, it wasn't working right in the first place. Wholly different objective.
A quick call to PWS would have delivered the best answer for reliability and proper function.

But I caution against getting too agressive with springs and buffer weights or the pendulum quickly swings in the other direction, which is an issue I'm currently working through at the moment because I wanted the ability to use hot  handloads and heavy grain projos.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
As I said before, when I got my upper I called customer service and asked what buffer to run. I was told an H2 is the recommended buffer so that's what I run, I run a standard USGI carbine spring and buffer tube and I have had no issues. I neglected to mention that my upper is the newer keymod 10.75". I generally run it set to the #4 position suppressed and unsuppressed with no issues, I can't recall a single malfunction in the 2K or so rounds through it.

Hope this helps,
Nate
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As I said before, when I got my upper I called customer service and asked what buffer to run. I was told an H2 is the recommended buffer so that's what I run, I run a standard USGI carbine spring and buffer tube and I have had no issues. I neglected to mention that my upper is the newer keymod 10.75". I generally run it set to the #4 position suppressed and unsuppressed with no issues, I can't recall a single malfunction in the 2K or so rounds through it.

Hope this helps,
Nate
View Quote

I have the exact same setup and when I called CS I was told to use an H3. I'm running suppressed #4 position and unsuppressed #2. No issues. The key is quality ammo. I'm using NATO M855 5.56 which is 15-20% over SAAMI spec for .223. When running this hot ammo my suppressed ejection pattern goes to the 2 O'clock. What is your ejection pattern?

If crappy ammo is used like steel Tula.... use position #1.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually, I  read your post. You wrote like you wanted to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, not that you were having issues with the current set-up.
You said nothing about your BCG running into the back of your buffer tube in your OP.
In other words, it wasn't working right in the first place. Wholly different objective.
A quick call to PWS would have delivered the best answer for reliability and proper function.

But I caution against getting too agressive with springs and buffer weights or the pendulum quickly swings in the other direction, which is an issue I'm currently working through at the moment because I wanted the ability to use hot  handloads and heavy grain projos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input,  I did end up ordering the pws h2 buffer and the sprinco blue buffer spring. Hopefully I find the best combo between the mil spec spring, the sprinco, the stt2 and the h2 buffer. I will post up results after I ho out this weekend. The milspec and stt2 ran all ammo great so far, in case anyone was wondering.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input,  and thank you to everyone else as well. I did end up ordering the pws h2 buffer and the sprinco blue buffer spring. Hopefully I find the best combo between the mil spec spring, the sprinco, the stt2 and the h2 buffer. I will post up results after I ho out this weekend. The milspec and stt2 ran all ammo great so far, in case anyone was wondering.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input,  and thank you to everyone else as well. I did end up ordering the pws h2 buffer and the sprinco blue buffer spring. Hopefully I find the best combo between the mil spec spring, the sprinco, the stt2 and the h2 buffer. I will post up results after I ho out this weekend. The milspec and stt2 ran all ammo great so far, in case anyone was wondering.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright I went to the range with the new sprinco blue and pws h2 buffer. . Everything went great, no issues at all. Felt better than the stt2 and milspec spring. I only shot wolf gold 55gr but it went good.

I did want to share a picture of my stt2 buffer though to see if anyone else has had their stt2 or otger buffers look similar after probably 1k rds. Looks beat to shit and I did end up sbapping off my buffer detent when I had it in my adams arms upper. Not sure how it is happening. I thought the detent stayed down once the upper was on the lower...

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
You can run it without the buffer detent.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top