Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
I created this topic to talk about POF's and pricing. I know POF's have one of the most proven reliable piston operating systems on the market. I read this after action report ( http://www.pof-usa.com/assets/AfterActionReport_POFGen4_Jan2014.pdf ) from a sheriff department in CA that tested the P308, and see that they rifles are worth it for their price. Which brings me to my next question. I have ordered a lot of guns through Buds and they usually are some of the lowest prices around. But I did some searching and there is a site (gotammollc.com) and they have them listed a couple hundred dollars under what Buds does and free shipping. Does anyone know how they are selling it for that low? I have been looking up reviews on POF's customer service and been finding a lot of bad reviews. But all these bad reviews I am seeing is from back in 2012 when we had the big gun scare. So that could have been the reason, seeing as how everyone in the gun biz was overloaded. Have any of you had any recent encounters with them, and if so how was it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i have delt with pof regarding  both a 415 lower and purchase of a p308 and have had nothing but great service  i would  recommend  purchase of any of their products. they stand behind product and i have had excellent  service that is why i purchased the p308
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two POF rifles and neither will work with pmags.  The pmags are so tight in the lower it is an effort to get them in or out of the mag well.  A major disappointment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a P308 back in 2009/11.  I sold it.  My experience was one of too heavy, really accurate, and very unreliable. Took it back to poof 3 times for repairs.  It was never reliable past about 300rds fired.

I bought a scarH and have had zero problems with it.

For the money, choose something else.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a POF 308 16" barrel that I had got from Rainier Arms a few years back. I had problems from the start( fail to feed). Rainier sent it back to POF and I got it back in a week. After that the rifle ran great with zero problems. The rail was super heavy and the rifle felt like a tank. I sold it when I went to the Scar17. I should have kept it as after it was fixed it was just a great accurate rifle. Plus the NP3 coating made it a breeze to clean. I would buy one again if a deal came up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]

I wouldn't buy one.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys, I have heard nothing but good things about them. Now I have different view points to compare.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both the 415 and the P-308 and both have never had a single problem. and both work without a problem with PMags Great stock triggers and very accurate. Both shoot well under 1 moa with my tailored hand loads. Most of the problems as you noted were with the earlier POF's.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a POF once.... Once.....  I think that the design is great, but the customer service sucked bad.  I would never do business there again.    If you like the design, look at Hogan Guns as they are the ones who originally build these rifles for POF.  If your looking at spending that kind of money, why not look at an LWRC M6IC or a PWS?  My Hogan drove tacks and was build like a tank, but it weighted about the same as a tank too....  The POF/Hogan design is excellent, but it's way to heavy, and the rail is way to tall.  Gonna be even worse if your mounting a scope on it.  Ultimately though, it's your decision and your money.  You need to buy what makes you happy.  I would strongly advise looking at the LWRC M6IC as it's very light or the PWS.  Both of those and the POF/Hogan are going to be in the same ballpark as far as prices go.  Have you ever thought of a SCAR?  The SCAR is absolutely amazing!  Best of luck with whatever decision that you make.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 P415s, 2 P416s & 1 of their 308s. Never had a problem with any of them. I've run the uppers on a m16a2 receiver. Never had to deal with their customer service so can't speak to that. No complaints here on their stuff. I guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, I have looked into a SCAR, only problem is they are running in the $2500+ range. I ended up buying the P308. At $1700 I couldn't pass that deal up. Picked up a Vortex Viper PST FFP with the ezra money I saved. So far have only taken the rifle out to zero and put maybe 40 rounds max through it but I love it! usually with new rifles it takes a little breaking in but haven't had any problems so far. I will update as I send more rounds through it if any problems arise but after reading what the Sheriffs department did to these rifles I don't think I will have any problems. The weight is a little on the heavy side but no more maybe even a little less than my Armalite AR-10. Overall so far I am very pleased with my purchase. Thanks for the comments and advice!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
You have not been paying attention, have you?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1646606_POF_USA_p308_rifle_never_works.html

POS, the most expensive potential paperweight on the planet....
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, POF seems to be pretty hit-and-miss.  I've heard of some folks having zero issues and loving their rifles and others having nothing but grief.  It seems as though the later are more numerous, but that may also be related to the fact that if you're unhappy, you're going to be more vocal about it.

I'd say for the price, go with a PWS or LWRC.  In general, owners seem to be MUCH happier with them.  I have two PWS's and absolutely love them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
OP........do yourself a favor, skip the POF, take a looks at PWS
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a POF and PWS, both have been great. POF makes a nice rifle as does PWS but for the prices on POF 308 rifles at the moment they are hard to beat.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top