Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 3:33:32 AM EDT
I'm looking at an AR in .308, .260, or 7mm-08 and would like to purchase a factory built model.
I'm not opposed to building one, but I get carried away with my builds.
My preferences are solid built, reliable, accurate out of the box and as light as I can get for carrying in the field.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Primary Weapon Systems and never look back.  That is if you want an AR.  Or, you could consider a SCAR 17S.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered the 300 BLK or do you need something that is more powerful.
The 300 BLK is good for anything inside 300-400 yds.
308 good to 600-800 which most shooters do not need. That said Im still a big 308 fan..
300 BLK and 308 Win are very available in my area, 7mm-08 not so much. I always thought the 7mm-08 was an answer to a question never asked.
Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have handled the new Smith & Wesson MP-15 carbine  in 300 BLK. Light and very handy. Full flat top optic ready.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I did not consider the 300 Blk. I'll have to check out the ballistics of this round for whitetails.
I already reload .308 for bolt guns, and it is a readily available round everywhere.
I guess I'm leaning towards the .308 at this time, barring any new info from the forum.
Thanks for the input to all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used both 300Blk and 6.8SPC on whitetail here in Tennessee and have been very successful with both. They are both accurate within 300 yards and with a 16" barrel they are very light and portable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Here are your options....

Sig 716

Ruger SR 762

LWRC REPR

PWS Mk216

Annnnd others that I cannot list off the top of my head....

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are willing to drop the money, the LWRC REPR to me is by far the best option.

Other than that, POF / PWS would be good  and a little less. POF is very light for being a 308

on the ammo debate, stick with 308, simply because its cheaper and alot out there and as you said you reload them already.

on the cheaper side yea the ruger would be a nice choice

the sig is a good but i dont htink they make an 18+  barrel... if your fine with 16in then sure u can go with it not saying it wont work, just i like to keep it 18 or up.

and Just something you may want to check out ...
http://www.blackrainordnance.com/3087-62-nato/ they are D.I guns, but we had these in my shop, i was extremely impressed by the weight and accuracy of them.  Just to give u more options.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for the replies.
Now the fun part, checking them all out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
JP LRP-07. Very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primary Weapon Systems and never look back.  That is if you want an AR.  Or, you could consider a SCAR 17S.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The PWS Mk 2 is the best option here if you want to spend the $2500+ street price, it is superior to the other rifles mentioned. The picture posted previous is of the old Mod 0 version from 2012.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
PWS MK2 also has a full forged model coming out. Will be lighter than the current Billet model and won't have the sharp edges around the magwell. Should be pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Any idea when it's coming out?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm unsure as to when it will be, they posted it as an update on their Facebook. They state to contact customer service on their website, for any information on it.

Text from Friend Face (AKA Facebook):
"Check out the New FORGED upper and lower receivers on our PWS MK2 Series Rifles! This updated design shaves off 4 ounces, eliminates sharp edges, and allows for greater changeability of uppers on the same lower"

Honestly, this setup sounds like a winner, especially if hunting is the game but that is my .02.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm unsure as to when it will be, they posted it as an update on their Facebook. They state to contact customer service on their website, for any information on it.

"Check out the New FORGED upper and lower receivers on our PWS MK2 Series Rifles! This updated design shaves off 4 ounces, eliminates sharp edges, and allows for greater changeability of uppers on the same lower"

Honestly, this setup sounds like a winner, especially if hunting is the game but that is my .02.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably fine getting one now, the forge lower makes almost no difference to the rifle. I have the billet lower on mine and haven't noticed the sharp edges they talk about. The only advantage that I can see is the forged lower will be cheaper. You won't even notice a 4 ounce weight difference.
The PWS Mk 116 in 300 blackout would be an excellent lightweight option for you. and you'll save almost $1000.over the Mk216.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top