Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:56 AM EDT
I've got upwards of $3k for a new weapon and am about 85% of the way to locking up a piston setup.  Current AR (my only) is a Spikes/Block II "sort of" clone that I love.  Though I recently got my yhm ti phantom out of jail and am thinking a piston kit is the way to go.  A few years back I bought, enjoyed then sold a Ruger SR 556 so I'm not completely new to the piston game.

A couple of questions though:

1)  How important is an adjustable gas block for running suppressed/unsuppressed?  The SPR appears to not be adjustable whereas the SCAR is...
2)  Is the trigger on the SCAR a simple swap (want a Geiselle SDC3 trigger like I have on my Spikes)

That's it for now, thanks all for your help...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got upwards of $3k for a new weapon and am about 85% of the way to locking up a piston setup.  Current AR (my only) is a Spikes/Block II "sort of" clone that I love.  Though I recently got my yhm ti phantom out of jail and am thinking a piston kit is the way to go.  A few years back I bought, enjoyed then sold a Ruger SR 556 so I'm not completely new to the piston game.

1)  How important is an adjustable gas block for running suppressed/unsuppressed?  The SPR appears to not be adjustable whereas the SCAR is...
2)  Is the trigger on the SCAR a simple swap (want a Geiselle SDC3 trigger like I have on my Spikes)

View Quote

1: Adjustable is a nice feature, and there are LWRC models that are offered with it. The IC does provide a 2 stage adjustable gas block and still has the same SPR style rail with lack of barrel nut and more "monolithic" in design. It really boils down to how interested you are in being able to tune the gas blow back, without having the need to swap out to a heavier buffer/spring to increase the dwell time.

2: The SCAR trigger requires the Geiselle Super SCAR. It is one designed specifically for the SCAR. It is a bit more difficult to swap, from what I've been told, but still doable. Other Geisselle triggers will not work, doesn't use standard AR trigger.

I used to have a SCAR 16 myself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1: Adjustable is a nice feature, and there are LWRC models that are offered with it. The IC does provide a 2 stage adjustable gas block and still has the same SPR style rail with lack of barrel nut and more "monolithic" in design. It really boils down to how interested you are in being able to tune the gas blow back, without having the need to swap out to a heavier buffer/spring to increase the dwell time.

2: The SCAR trigger requires the Geiselle Super SCAR. It is one designed specifically for the SCAR. It is a bit more difficult to swap, from what I've been told, but still doable. Other Geisselle triggers will not work, doesn't use standard AR trigger.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind swapping buffer/spring if need be and I do want the 12 inch forend.  Think I'm going with the LWRC as the more I read about the scar the more I tend to think I'd prefer fewer proprietary parts.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't mind swapping buffer/spring if need be and I do want the 12 inch forend.  Think I'm going with the LWRC as the more I read about the scar the more I tend to think I'd prefer fewer proprietary parts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly prefer the LWRC because of the ease of replacement parts and the fact that it still keeps all the muscle memory of a traditional AR15.

The SCAR 16 I had was fun and different but honestly didn't really feel like it did anything truly "better" than my DI AR. About the biggest difference was being able to side charge it and it really had no gas to the face, when being ran with a suppressor. The adjustable gas system was a bitch to manipulate though, after a couple hundred rounds. Would need to take a multi tool and grip the sucker, in order to turn it at all. Could of just been an isolated issue with mine though.

I'd suggest to hold both and try out both, a lot of this just comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I just can get past the looks and plastic receiver of the SCAR. I think it is ugly and the plastic lower is a big turnoff. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I have scars.  I've never had the mentioned issue with adjusting the gas.  Just flip a switch on the scar.  I do adjust the gas when shooting suppressed, but mine runs fine on either setting.  Where the scar is superior is in shooting low velocity rounds, i.e., subsonic.  On the scar you can maintain your cheekweld and charge the gun at the same time, which of course you cannot do with the lwrc.  Not a big deal obviously, but it is a difference.

The Geiselle super scar trigger is a very easy install.  I've done it 4 times.  Great trigger.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just can get past the looks and plastic receiver of the SCAR. I think it is ugly and the plastic lower is a big turnoff. Just my opinion.
View Quote

You mean the boot like stock doesn't kill it for you?

First day I picked mine up, my wife looked at me and said "Why is there a boot at the bottom of your rifle". I really had no comeback to that one.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I spent part of my lunch down at the LGS and played with both (again, for prolly the 200th time).  Owner offered me FDE cerakote IC SPR $2,290.00 OTD or a black one for $2,110.00 OTD.  Seems like a great price for either.  Pretty much only thing I'd change on either is the trigger and grip so that's another $260 or so + $90 for a QD flash hider for my can so I'm at $2,640 or $2,460 respectively.  My intuition tells me to go the cheaper route and buy ammo but for whatever reason I'm drawn to the fde weapon.  And no, I can't bring myself to spray paint a $2,500.00 purchase.  yet.  I've had my paint on hand for 6 months and only painted the vfg on my existing rifle lol.

FDE or black?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well I spent part of my lunch down at the LGS and played with both (again, for prolly the 200th time).  Owner offered me FDE cerakote IC SPR $2,290.00 OTD or a black one for $2,110.00 OTD.  Seems like a great price for either.  Pretty much only thing I'd change on either is the trigger and grip so that's another $260 or so + $90 for a QD flash hider for my can so I'm at $2,640 or $2,460 respectively.  My intuition tells me to go the cheaper route and buy ammo but for whatever reason I'm drawn to the fde weapon.  And no, I can't bring myself to spray paint a $2,500.00 purchase.  yet.  I've had my paint on hand for 6 months and only painted the vfg on my existing rifle lol.

FDE or black?
View Quote

Everyone knows that FDE rifles are more accurate than black.

Go with the FDE!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
SCAR great weapon used it as my weapon in Afghanistan.
Upgrades Geissele trigger, Noveske selector, Surefire Muzzle/Supressor set up.
The biggest downside that I see with this SCAR is your "customization/BARBIE" upgrades.
runs clean and never gave me problems but remember the charging handle reciprocates aka moves when you fire a shot.

LWRC adjustable gas block and interchangeable with alot of AR15 components
so "parts" will be easier to find aka customize to your liking
trigger, grips, stocks, etc.
BAD RAIL ISNT INTERCHANGEABLE, YOUR STUCK

if it was me I would get Sig516, Lancer systems just came out with a new rail for extended reach and its BCG is a copy of lwrc and i still can customize it to how "you" want it.

just my .02
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SCAR great weapon used it as my weapon in Afghanistan.
Upgrades Geissele trigger, Noveske selector, Surefire Muzzle/Supressor set up.
The biggest downside that I see with this SCAR is your "customization/BARBIE" upgrades.
runs clean and never gave me problems but remember the charging handle reciprocates aka moves when you fire a shot.

LWRC adjustable gas block and interchangeable with alot of AR15 components
so "parts" will be easier to find aka customize to your liking
trigger, grips, stocks, etc.
BAD RAIL ISNT INTERCHANGEABLE, YOUR STUCK

if it was me I would get Sig516, Lancer systems just came out with a new rail for extended reach and its BCG is a copy of lwrc and i still can customize it to how "you" want it.

just my .02
View Quote

Do you have any photos of your issued scar?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both, but I'd keep the Scar if forced to choose.  Nothing stands out, but I like it's oddness.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top