Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
If I wanted to order a spare BCG which one would work for the MK1Mod 1? It looks like the D/I BCG would work but that does not seem right. So, exactly what BCG should I order and from who? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you can use a DI bolt carrier with a piston without risking the carrier key being ripped off over time.  I might be mistaken though, but that is how I understand it, you would need a one piece bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm this is a tough one, but I thought about it for a while and here's what I came up with.
Order the exact same BCG that's inside the upper receiver of the carbine you just ordered from the company that manufactured it.

Brilliant, I know
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ordered the mk116 mod 1, then  it is long stroke piston so a DI bcg will definitely not work. If you want the spare BCG then just buy the BCG from Apex, here is a link:

pws mk1 bcg
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Have to buy the same proprietary long stroke piston BCG that came with the MK1.  mrc44 pointed out Apex.  Good company.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]
APEX looks like a good source, thanks to all. Maybe I was in too big of a hurry when I went to the PWS web site but the only BCG I found was for a DI system which I thought was odd. I appreciate everyones input, I am not the most technical savvy person and this is my first piston system so I just wanted to be sure I did not make a $200 mistake.
Thanks again for everyones thoughts and help!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem.  I've looked for it on their site before and couldn't find it either.  I'm sure there's a  reason.  

Congrats, that's an excellent piston rifle.  Many quality components in it but IMHO the PWS BCG is the reason it's superior to other AR piston rifles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think you can use a DI bolt carrier with a piston without risking the carrier key being ripped off over time.  I might be mistaken though, but that is how I understand it, you would need a one piece bolt carrier.
View Quote

The op rod on PWS's system bolts on in place of the gas key.  Because it's long stroke it's not as brutal as the short stroke systems out there.  Those used to be sold with a carrier key replacement until too many of them sheared off, then they went to the one piece carrier.  A normal BCG will work in the PWS system, just have to replace the gas key with an op rod.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Funny you mention that.  Was going to explain exactly that to the OP for context and then edited it out.  

Figured he was just looking for the correct replacement BCG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Funny you mention that.  Was going to explain exactly that to the OP for context and then edited it out.  

Figured he was just looking for the correct replacement BCG.
View Quote

Their DI carrier looks identical to their piston carrier to me, with the obvious difference being the gas key v. op rod.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Yessir, that's what I thought the first time I saw it too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Would you buy just a bolt or the BCG? Is it likely that I would ever need to replace anything but a part of the bolt itself? Again, I am just looking to have a spare for back up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You cannot use another BCG without heavily skilled machinist work.  You can use a spare .223 or 5.56 DI bolt assembly as a spare for the original after you have removed the gas rings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You cannot use another BCG without heavily skilled machinist work.  You can use a spare .223 or 5.56 DI bolt assembly as a spare for the original after you have removed the gas rings.
View Quote

What is so different about the PWS BCG that you couldn't use a standard DI with the correct op rod in place?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would you buy just a bolt or the BCG? Is it likely that I would ever need to replace anything but a part of the bolt itself? Again, I am just looking to have a spare for back up.
View Quote

I'd get the complete BCG.  Extra parts are never a bad problem.  You can always sell or trade them down the line if not needed.  

Sure, your first failures will likely be bolt-related and you'll probably never have a carrier issue.  So if all you want is a bolt or bolt maintenance kit, you can get away with that.

It's a machine, so you can't always anticipate what future problems will occur.  Plus it's a proprietary design in a nice rifle.  Yes, you can cannibalize DI parts in a pinch if needed but ideally I'd buy factory parts while they're in stock and reasonably priced, so I could use it as designed ten years from now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Mtel, that makes sense to me, so complete BCG it will be, better safe than sorry!
Again,thanks to all for your suggestions....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What is so different about the PWS BCG that you couldn't use a standard DI with the correct op rod in place?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, there are interlocking machined surfaces in the top of the carrier and on the operating rod/key that take the shear forces of the gas impacting and driving the piston backwards.  The DI carrier does not have those machined cavities/surfaces and as a result they are not compatible.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Good nugget, where'd you find it?  And I don't mean that in the sarcastic way most people use it when they're really calling someone a liar.

I just like the PWS piston guns and the details about them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a pic of a sheared PWS carrier drive key. It shows both screws and the locating pin sheared.
Pic was dated 2010

http://www.treehopr.net/aar/tag/rifle-training/page/2/

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's a pic of a sheared PWS carrier drive key. It shows both screws and the locating pin sheared.
Pic was dated 2010

http://www.treehopr.net/aar/tag/rifle-training/page/2/

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/PWS%20Diablo/5bef4c07-a754-46bd-99a1-a1d9312eca30.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a standard bolt carrier
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope.......you are mistaken.
Look at the "key" also take a look in the link.

Let me help ya out a bit....still look like a standard carrier?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
PWS stuff was all revamped and now looks different.

If I was going to get a piston, it would be PWS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/PWS%20Diablo/imagejpg1.jpg
View Quote

I'm looking at a stripped carrier right now.  Obviously the key has been replaced with an op rod, I've been saying that.  The carrier itself looks the same though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I beleive JoshAston was referring to the fact the carrier doesn't appear to have a machined interlocking surface, which would support PWS DI/piston BCGs being interchangeable.

To be fair, that pic is dated 2010.  It's possible the interlocking surfaces can be found on newer BCGs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I have yet to see an un assembled PWS carrier. This is how they were attached in '10.
Shy of taking my spare apart, this is the best I can do. I have not seen a pic of anything different.

Someone needs to take one apart to show these " interlocks"
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm looking at a stripped carrier right now.  Obviously the key has been replaced with an op rod, I've been saying that.  The carrier itself looks the same though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect it was once a modified DI carrier. They aren't now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know they've made changes to the rear of the carrier to prevent tilt, they've implemented the same changes in their DI carrier.  Have there been any changes to the area where the gas key/op rod bolts on though?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#27]
It's still bolt on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Prior to this thread,......I had never heard of any tabs. I was understanding that the let had a locating pin and two screws, as shown.

You guys really make me want to take mine apart......but i'm not going to.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have yet to see an un assembled PWS carrier. This is how they were attached in '10.
Shy of taking my spare apart, this is the best I can do. I have not seen a pic of anything different.

View Quote

Got it, appreciate the pic.  That's why I was hoping Nekulturny had a reference from PWS about it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true.......
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Got it, appreciate the pic.  That's why I was hoping Nekulturny had a reference from PWS about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.......I have never heard anything different.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top