AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That makes no sense? How do you tighten the barrel nut with the rail on? Am I missing something here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeepguy88, good looking rifle, looks pretty close to one I have, my rail didn't have any blems though, that kind of sucks that they sent you a blemished rail .  Also you didn't need to remove the gas block to install the rail. I only removed the piston, took off the barrel, took off the delta ring assembly and cut off the handguard cap.  Made it pretty easy and only took me about 10 minutes.

That makes no sense? How do you tighten the barrel nut with the rail on? Am I missing something here?

The Samson rail  is two piece and goes over the standard barrel nut.  Here are the steps I took to install the rail:

1) Remove standard hand guards
2) Remove piston assembly leaving only the gas block and delta ring assembly/barrel nut
3) Loosen the barrel nut and remove the barrel.
4) Remove delta ring, weld spring, and snap ring.
5) Cut off the handguard cap
6) Reinstall the barrel and tighten the barrel nut to correct torque requirements
7) Reinstall piston assembly
8) Install bottom portion of the rail over the barrel nut
9) Install top portion of the rail over the barrel nut ensuring alignment with upper receiver and railed gas block
10) Complete

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw this deal when it started and finally have the spare cash to snag one, I am leaning towards the mid length, I like the extra sight radius and barrel profile better but se a few negative reviews where the m4 barrel carbine has almost all positive. Did anyone buy both and compare them yet? I like the Middy and Sampson 9ex rail set up. Any insight from someone who has shot both? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Tapping pins out, not the best idea. Follow sanausnol's advice. However, if you refuse to give up, and have your mind set on getting those pins out, I had to spray one with some lube then use the air hammer. That got it loose.

As far as mid vs carbine, dealers choice. I just like the way the middy looks. Being blemished, no two rifles will be the same. I love my middy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Samson rail  is two piece and goes over the standard barrel nut.  Here are the steps I took to install the rail:

2) Remove piston assembly leaving only the gas block and delta ring assembly/barrel nut
6) Reinstall the barrel and tighten the barrel nut to correct torque requirements
9) Install top portion of the rail over the barrel nut ensuring alignment with upper receiver and railed gas block
10) Complete

Hope that helps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeepguy88, good looking rifle, looks pretty close to one I have, my rail didn't have any blems though, that kind of sucks that they sent you a blemished rail .  Also you didn't need to remove the gas block to install the rail. I only removed the piston, took off the barrel, took off the delta ring assembly and cut off the handguard cap.  Made it pretty easy and only took me about 10 minutes.

10) Complete

Hope that helps!

Unfortunately the Samson Evo rail is one piece, not two. So this is not an option. In fact my guy has given up. He has tried tried everything to remove the gas block. Soaked it for two days and used a hydraulic press, and gently used an air hammer. The pins didn't budge. Why in the world do they put these in so tight? They don't use tapered pins. Anyway it looks like I have no choice but to send it back to AA and have them remove the Gas Block and put it back together. Seems it will be a while before my cerakoted AA is back together and running again. Very frustrating!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been lusting after the middy since they went on sale.  I plan on buying it just for the upper and then adding a samson rail and a spartan billet lower.  I don't know of a cheaper way to go.  This will be my go to rifle with a slide fire stock and one day a suppressor.  Someone tell me if there is a cheaper option or if I should just go ahead with a credit card purchase.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I pulled the trigger and order one of the mid-length blem rifles.  I have to say I couldn't find a flaw on it.  It locks up tight, finish is even and the trigger isn't too bad on it although I will upgrade it to a hipertouch.  I also ordered one of the Samson rails from Bud's for $120 and it is very nice.  Overall I am into this rifle for around $850 as I added a B5 SOPMOD, BAD-ASS ambi selector, BWA Comp, MOE+ grip, BCM Gunfighter and the rail. Overall I would say it is an excellent value and I'm not sure I could build a rifle with these features for much less.  Anyway here are some pictures.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/77433bb8-7b05-4f2f-9039-b24272acf5da_zps64e7c772.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0667_zps4e92b83f.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0665_zps4611d598.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0662_zps651ae292.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/327b79c7-4716-4db8-a9fa-bc763b98bfb1_zps3b72e94b.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the pics. This is what im exactly looking for!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I pulled the trigger and order one of the mid-length blem rifles.  I have to say I couldn't find a flaw on it.  It locks up tight, finish is even and the trigger isn't too bad on it although I will upgrade it to a hipertouch.  I also ordered one of the Samson rails from Bud's for $120 and it is very nice.  Overall I am into this rifle for around $850 as I added a B5 SOPMOD, BAD-ASS ambi selector, BWA Comp, MOE+ grip, BCM Gunfighter and the rail. Overall I would say it is an excellent value and I'm not sure I could build a rifle with these features for much less.  Anyway here are some pictures.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/77433bb8-7b05-4f2f-9039-b24272acf5da_zps64e7c772.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0667_zps4e92b83f.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0665_zps4611d598.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/IMG_0662_zps651ae292.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/sanausnol/327b79c7-4716-4db8-a9fa-bc763b98bfb1_zps3b72e94b.jpg

Not a problem!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Bit the bullet and ordered a midlength. should be here middle of next week. Bud's shipped it out quickly. Contemplating ordering the samson midlength quad rail. It's an excellent deal, afterall
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bit the bullet and ordered a midlength. should be here middle of next week. Bud's shipped it out quickly. Contemplating ordering the samson midlength quad rail. It's an excellent deal, afterall
View Quote

Get the 9-EX instead of the Quad. Better, lighter rail that you can add polymer rail segments onto where you need it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats what I originally intended. the quad that BUDS has is still like $60 cheaper, and I'd have to punch the pins out on the gas block, which some have noted is rather difficult.

I don't have the need for full rails at 3,6, and 9 oclock, but i'm a little tight on money after jumping on this purchase.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thats what I originally intended. the quad that BUDS has is still like $60 cheaper, and I'd have to punch the pins out on the gas block, which some have noted is rather difficult.

I don't have the need for full rails at 3,6, and 9 oclock, but i'm a little tight on money after jumping on this purchase.
View Quote

Smart. Don't get involved with the pins on the Gas Block. Three people worked on mine to try to install the Samson Evo rail I had Cerakoted (along with the upper and lower). Including a guy who manufacturers rifles for the SEALS. Pneumatic presses, air hammers, putting it in the freezer, and don't ask what else. Finally had to give up and send it off to AA today. They kindly offered to help out at no charge. AA offers some of the best Customer Service I have ever encountered.

At least we know those gas blocks aren't going anywhere :) Beyond rock solid! My rifle was cerakoted 2 weeks ago and I am dying to get it back together. I will just have to wait it out for another week. At least I am in Florida, so UPS Ground is only a day each way. Maybe I will have it back by Friday or Monday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got AA a response about the barrels on THESE blems, which is PR from Voodoo, but pretty great stuff.

Every VooDoo Innovations Barrel undergoes a proprietary Melonite process inside and out. Unlike hard chrome and magnesium phosphate, Melonite is a molecular bonding process with metal. It allows the chemicals to seep down below the surface area of the metal, instead of just adding a top layer. This means that the barrel can be cut to a true rifle bore while maintaining complete corrosion resistance and virtually no wear. It also means that the protection offered is not just a thin layer on top of the material but actually penetrates layers deep ensuring that it does not wear off. Now you have the velocities of a stainless steel true rifle bore with complete protection. You can outlast a chrome lined barrel and shoot with the accuracy and efficiency of a stainless steel barrel, all while not breaking the bank.

Voodoo Innovations has been at the fore-front of barrel technology, and has perfected it over the years. This has allowed VooDoo Innovations to achieve better velocity, accuracy, and longevity, over chrome lined or cold hammer forged barrels. These processes also allow for use of a fast 1/7 or 1/8 twist rate, while still achieving high projectile stability over a wide range of bullet weights. Every fully melonited Voodoo Innovations barrel comes with a Lifetime Warranty and 1MOA accuracy guarantee.

I mentioned over on the industry forums that they should play this up more on Buds, really improves the perception of the gun for me so it will for others too....great stuff for 599.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who have been following this thread you know I had my AA cerakoted but could not get the pins out of the Gas Block to install the Evo Handguard I had creakoted as well. I contacted Cody at AA to see if he could help me figure it out. Though AA was under zero obligation to help out, this past Friday Cody offered to send me a UPS label and RMA to remove the Gas Block, install the Cerakoted handguard, and reassemble the upper. All at no expense to me. This Monday AM I received an email from Cody with an RMA and UPS label. I packed my upper and dropped it off at UPS Monday afternoon. Yesterday (tuesday), not only did Cody notify me he received my upper, he also notified me it was fixed and on it's way back to me. They had it for a total of 6 hours before shipping it back to me. Today is Wednesday, less than 48 hours from when I dropped it off at UPS, and I just received the upper! Cody also emailed me a video of how they removed the Gas Block! I'm in Florida a few hours from AA, so UPS Ground is the same as overnight (which helps get things back and forth quickly).

Guys, it simply does not get any better than this. It is not humanly possible to do better. Huge props to AA!

I have dealt with similar sized companies like Daniel Defense, BCM and so on. I cannot even get a response to my emails or phone messages. It can take weeks to get any kind of service at all. AA deserves to be recognized for their above and beyond customer service. Not to mention their excellent products. Give it up for AA!

Patriot Brown Cerakote. Lighting is poor in my office. I will post pics of the complete rifle later.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice stick!

Post the video! :)
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my 599 middy in today. I noticed on Buds that they are out of stock on the midlengths, so I'm glad I acted when I did.

Hope they do this with the COR uppers down the road. Would not mind one of those... ;)

ETA- noticed the blem... a very small mark on the rear left side of the upper. not something that wouldn't appear within the first or second range trip.... well worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone else having problems with pmags not dropping free? They're actually pretty snug in the receiver
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Harrish, I get my AA Blem in the mail next week and I used your's as somewhat of a template pre-Cerakote and rail.  Sharp looking both then and now, real clean.

It's my first gun, so it will be a great learning experience.  Kudos!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Went to the FFL and picked up the two AA Middy blems for my father and I today and I couldn't believe how clean both guns were.  They could easily be sold as new.

A few interesting things:

--The FFL had never heard of Adams Arms which is located roughly three hours away from my town in FL.
--FFL--a notable local gunsmith--got on his soapbox and told me how piston ARs should really only be used if you plan on using a suppressor.  Otherwise, he felt like there was no benefit.
--Did I mention how clean the rifles were/are?
--There was a lot more play than I thought there would be in the upper.  Haven't shot/broken it in yet, but interested to see how everything goes.
--This is my first AR, and was my first Red Dot install.  The Vortex SPARC was super easy to put on, but the battery cap was awful to get off initially.

I swapped out the hand guard for MOE and the stock for an ATI Strikeforce--which made the gun probably a pound heavier, but big upgrade.

I have a pistol grip for it but I want to break it in before I make the decision on swapping it out.  Got a dozen Magpul Gen3 30mags from Botach for $99 last week, so GTG there.

If this thing shoots as advertised I'll be absolutely thrilled with this purchase.  Going back to the FFL and telling him to try it out will be next on my list.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up my "Blem" with the midlength system and the Samson rail. The only "blemish" I could find was a small spot with very light wear on the rail. When I say very light, I mean less than the amount of wear bashing a gun around for a 3gun competition. My friend actually ordered one on the spot after seeing how clean the gun was. Furniture is standard fare, swap it if you don't like it. At this price point, that should be well within budget. I only gave mine a nice rub down in oil and slapped a XTRII 1-5 scope on it.

On the range I had zero issues with M193 in about 200 rounds of "break in" time. Groups were acceptable and under 2" all day at 100yd and the factory trigger. Swapping to a lower with a better trigger I got groups between 1-1.5" which is more than consistent enough for how I plan to use the rifle. To be clear, the factory trigger was great for a standard AR trigger and I was very pleased that a ~$750 rifle came with something better than some of the God-awful messes I have felt in some other factory AR's. My OCD is also extremely grateful that Adams uses a quite buffer tube system. I'm also very happy to say that the chamber is free of any carbon, another nifty OCD friendly perk.

This rifle is one of the best deals I have ever gotten. Adams has a well deserved great reputation for both producing quality hardware and supporting competitors in 3-Gun. I'm seriously wondering how these guns are even still in stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Hi everybody!  New member here.

Here's my mid-length Adams Arms base rifle that I bought from Bud's back in May.  I've added the following goodies since then:

Magpul CTR stock
Rainier Arms Raptor Charging Handle
Blackhawk! grip
Ambidextrous safety
Ambidextrous magazine release
Magpul MOE handguard
Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake
Magpul MBUIS
Lots of Magpul E-Mags

So far, between my wife and I, we've put about 750 rounds through it.  It fires great and is a very precise rifle.  I can't wait to shoot it more.

David
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up an AA Blemished Carbine. It looks great, nothing noticeably wrong with it, except for what seems to be the common dust cover "scratchings", the charging handle is also chipped and causing some damage to the back of the upper receiver.

An issue I found with mine that I havent seen mentioned on here (possibly because its totally normal and because this is my first AR), but the underside of the bolt carrier has markings that is being caused by the top of the trigger hammer. Is this something of concern or none at all? Keep in mind I have not shot it yet. I will try to upload pictures if needed.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#23]
My friend and I both picked up a carbine from buds a couple months ago. We didnt notice any blems on either of ours. Unfortunately I ended up getting the bad one. The gas block ended up being bad on mine, it would only chamber 1 or 2 rounds then stop. Buds took the rifle and shipped it back to AA at no cost to be fixed. I've got mine back and it has worked great. No complaints from me. I've started upgrading mine, magpul acs stock, moe + grip, mbus sights. I have ordered a samson rail from buds and I am waiting on it to come in. Next thing for me will be optics but I'm not sure what I want to go with yet. I will post some pictures soon.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top