Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:40:05 AM EDT
I'm going to buy both a 223 and a 308.  Unfortunately the place where I can shoot makes it all but impossible to find the fired brass.  One possible solution to this problem would be to use Rugers with the gas system turned off.  It would seem that all I'd have to do is cycle the action manually.  Anyone tried this?

I realize that there are brass deflectors or catchers but the one's I've seen aren't appealing.

Finally, how hard are these guns to clean?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
check and ask here...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/637865_Ruger_SR_556_Picture_and_info_thread___.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Firing gas systems with the gas turned off has been done before. It doesn't harm anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
There are lots of brass collectors out there.  Brownell's has a good selection.  I recommend you get one with rigid to semi-rigid upper with a mesh bottom that bolts to your rail.  I have one from E&L Manufacturing and it works great.  It is solid and must be removed when full by pulling it off of the bolt-on rails.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
FIND the brass or RECOVER it?  If the brass gets lost in scrub weeds or whatever, put a blue tarp down.  Anchor each corner with a rock.  Looks kinda dumb, but sure makes cleanup faster and easier.  If you get a buddy, then it's super fast to pick up the tarp and dump it in a 5 gal. bucket.  If it's going over a range barrier, then... I dunno.  Ask the rangemaster for a cease fire?  Hell, if they let you do that, go over the WALL and pick up ALL the damn brass.  You do the cleanup, you get the reward!
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
if you want a seamless, no hassle pick up for your brass this is what you want

leave no trace

need to get them to make a 308 version
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top