Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2014 2:47:31 PM EDT
So I am a new member, and I am really a guy that has only owned bolt actions before. A buddy of mine bought a SR556 piston AR and let me shoot it and now I want one. I was looking on a gun auction (gunbroker) site and found a guy selling a SR556 upper for $750 which is about $300 less than retail.

Before I jump on it (and forgive me if this is a newbie question) I wanted to confirm I could use any regular ar15 lower receiver with the upper.

Also, I havent seen a lot of reviews on this site, those of you that own them and have a lot of rounds down the pipe, can you let me know how its holding up and how you like it?

-Jim
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a "lot" of rounds down the pipe but I would say about 5-600 by now. Gun runs like a champ, I did find that it doesn't like junky mags, such as Thermolds. Every once in a while it will choke and fail to feed wit the Thermolds, never once with my PMAGs or the 10-rounder that came with the gun.

Only thing I can think of that's an issue is the notched hammer with the unshrouded carrier. It beats the firing pin to hell so much so that I'm debating buying a few pins and storing them in the grip. Everything else is great, cleaning the piston and is really simple and there's almost nothing to clean in the upper or lower receiver. Oh, and by the way, it's pretty hefty. I like the weight but some people would rather keep it light, that's up to you.

As for the upper to lower fit I'm fairly sure the Ruger upper works with a standard lower.

Run your friends SR556 a little more and decide if it fits your needs. I love mine. I just wish we had handguard options. I think this thing would be amazing with a Fortis Rev on it or something. Maybe one day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Of all the AR 15's that I own other than the SIG 556 the SR556 is my least favorite. After 300 rounds the SR 556 went from shooting 1-1.25" 5 shot 100 yard groups, no mater what ammunition I tried to shooting shotgun patterns. The time before the it shot well the very next time it went south. I even swapped scopes still the same problem. I sent it back to Ruger they returned it in a little over 3 weeks and noted that they had changed the entire upper, BCG and the safety. It went back to shooting 1-1.25" groups but I have lost faith in it never knowing if it will go south again. The accuracy of the SIG 556 sucked but at least it was dependable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you look here?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_126/637865_Ruger_SR_556_Picture_and_info_thread___.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I like mine. I'm also a an AR noob and I've not experienced any issues with mine or any excessive wear. I have about 800 rds through it and I've not had any issues. My particular gun does not like heavier bullets so I'm reloading with 52gr BTHP and I'm getting 1" groups if I do my part. I like how easy it is to clean compared to the DI M16 I had to clean in the Army!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not remember the details, trigger related, ......but there is a safety recall on the SR556 models now.
Ruger is not advising to shoot them, can go full auto!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The recall involves the disconnector on certain S/N's. A contractor sent some that were improperly heat treated and suffer from excessive wear. For the ones affected you can send it back (about two weeks+) on their dime to get fixed and receive an extra  magazine or spend $5-10 on a new disconnector.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The recall involves the disconnector on certain S/N's. A contractor sent some that were improperly heat treated and suffer from excessive wear. For the ones affected you can send it back (about two weeks+) on their dime to get fixed and receive an extra  magazine or spend $5-10 on a new disconnector.
View Quote

Thanks for passing the info........so very minor. The release I skimmed made it sound like a world changing event.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do not remember the details, trigger related, ......but there is a safety recall on the SR556 models now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Let's not blow this out of proportion.  The recall isn't across the entire SR-556/762 product line and only involves the SR-556VT.  Specifically, it involves the disconnector in their 2-stage target trigger.  

WHY WE ARE RECALLING THESE RIFLES
We have determined that the disconnector in the two-stage trigger system on our SR-556VT™ modern sporting rifles was not properly heat treated by a vendor and that the disconnector can wear prematurely. This, in turn, can result in an unsafe condition in which the rifle delays firing (there is a delay in firing after the trigger is pulled) or doubles (discharging once when the trigger is pulled and again when the trigger is released). Although no incidents have been reported from the field, this is an important safety issue and we are therefore recalling the rifles.

HOW TO Determine IF YOUR RIFLE NEEDS TO BE RECALLED
This disconnector is used only in the two-stage trigger system found in the SR-556VT™ models and no other models of the SR-556® are affected by the recall. However, at this point, all SR-556VT™ rifles manufactured to date are subject to the recall. The SR-556VT™ is distinctive looking as it is equipped with a fixed stock, brushed stainless steel barrel, Magpul® MOE® pistol grip and extended charging handle on the left side. Thus, if your rifle looks like the picture below, it IS subject to the recall. If you have any other model SR-556®, then your rifle IS NOT subject to the recall. If you have questions about whether your rifle is subject to the recall, you can contact our Newport Customer Service Department at 603-865-2442.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, not a specific serial number range but rather a specific product.  The recall is aimed at the SR-556VT and no other model.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link to the recall page:

http://ruger.com/SR556VTRecall/index.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let's not blow this out of proportion.  The recall isn't across the entire SR-556/762 product line and only involves the SR-556VT.  Specifically, it involves the disconnector in their 2-stage target trigger.  
View Quote

Did you even read what I typed?

I do believe I actually admitted to the fact that the article I skimmed made it out to be more than it was.

So, what is that about blowing this out of proportion?

Read before you type!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do believe I actually admitted to the fact that the article I skimmed made it out to be more than it was.

Read before you type!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read before you type!

LOL!  Fair enough!

Anyway, if anyone has questions about the recall, please see the info I posted above.  If you have a Ruger SR-556VT, give customer service a shout.  They'll get you squared away.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I am a new member, and I am really a guy that has only owned bolt actions before. A buddy of mine bought a SR556 piston AR and let me shoot it and now I want one. I was looking on a gun auction (gunbroker) site and found a guy selling a SR556 upper for $750 which is about $300 less than retail.

Before I jump on it (and forgive me if this is a newbie question) I wanted to confirm I could use any regular ar15 lower receiver with the upper.

Also, I havent seen a lot of reviews on this site, those of you that own them and have a lot of rounds down the pipe, can you let me know how its holding up and how you like it?

-Jim
View Quote

Prices on Gunbroker for the entire gun are ridiculously cheap right now so I would really recommend buying the entire gun not just the upper. I bought the SR556C almost 2 years ago which has a shorter barrel but the flash hider is permanent. I love the gun and have not had any issues. Good luck and just a warning since you have been a bolt action guy that you will want more AR's after you get one.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top