Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2014 1:37:51 PM EDT
I've found a deal at Rainer for an Adams Arms Ultra Lite 16" for $919 with a $75 Rainer Gift Card.  Before I pull the trigger, is there any other Piston Complete Uppers that you would recommend that would be a better value for my money??  Or would you guys just build your own and is it less money in the end?

thanks for your help!!  the Build it Yourself forum did not yield many answers to my question.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Just went through the same discussion with myself.  I ended up with an Adams Arms complete 16" upper with the Magpul furniture. $679.  I haven't shot it yet but range report soon and it sure seems like quality.    
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I think AK's have pretty good piston systems...
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
But your lucky to hit little things with an AK, and the AA system is very nice for the money.  I have two and they've made my AR's AK durable, and I can hit the little targets
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a 7.5 Adams Evo until recently and really liked it.  But I'm confused with the lack of love for the brand.  The DI guys think it's over priced even though spikes complete uppers are $800 ish and DD, Noveske are even more $.  Then in the piston forum everyone wants the more expensive brands even though it's the same tech.  Maybe someone can help me understand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing wrong with an Adams Arms. They have a very well designed piston system and from what I've seen around here they stand by their products and will go out of their way to make your rifle right if something goes wrong. I think there was someone on here that had a serious issue with his piston gas block and they came in to the thread and offered to make it right ASAP. That's customer service for you, I don't think I've ever seen a Colt rep on here when someone has a problem. But that's just me.

I also think at around a grand you can get yourself a Ruger SR556E complete. I've got one and the thing is a great shooter. Very accurate and dead reliable. Not a thing has gone wrong aside from some feeding issues when paired with one of my crap 15rd Thermold mags. It has never failed with the Ruger 10rd Stainless mag or my 15rd pinned M3 PMAG. Love the thing. It is a bit heavy but the weight feels good. For me at least it helps keeping the rifle steady. Add on a Magul AFG2 and you barely even notice the weight.

Adams Arms is a great rifle either way. Piston guns are really great if you've never had one. Don't listen to all those knuckle-dragger DI guys (I kid, I kid...).
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Faxon ARAK 21 is worth looking into, depending on what your price range is of course.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Or buy a Piston kit and DIY DSG has them on special for $350 with a Free Voodoo 16" Mid-length 5.56 Barrel, the only thing you are missing is the upper and muzzle device.

The only thing holding me back on that dealer is I have read mixed reviews on the voodoo barrel and Rainier has the same deal without the barrel a little cheaper
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a new mid with the voodoo barrel and it shoots so well I can't seem to part with it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I guess by building my own, I could use the new Samson Keymod rail and use a billet upper and maybe save some $$.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I guess by building my own, I could use the new Samson Keymod rail and use a billet upper and maybe save some $$.
View Quote

My plan is with a Fortis - Link

I have a 12 on one of my other builds and I love it
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I, also, love my AA middy (complete upper). Don't get me wrong, it would Never replace my AK as my "SHTF" rifle, but it's nice. I'll never own a DI rifle, so the AA was my intro into the AR world. I do like it, it's accurate and modular. I'm not a gung-ho AR fan, so I don't share the enthusiasm of it. It's heavier than my AK (by a full pound and equal set up), The DI's long bcg is not needed for a piston system, but since this is a "conversion" system it utilizes it. A piston system could be much more simplified (AK, Sig 556, etc), but remember that these are designed as "conversion" (keeping as true to the AR parts as possible while introducing piston operation). Not the most ideal piston set up IMHO, but it works and maintains the benefits of the AR platform as far as ergos and accessories go.
I honestly believe the Sig556 is the best comparable system for piston merging AR (like) ergos with AK style piston... but if you're hell bent on using AR accessories and basically want and AR without all the fouling that a DI presents... AA or any of the other "converted" version/makers will do the trick.
IMHO, if you want (similar) ergos to an AR, and stanag mag use, Sig556 is the way to go. If you want an AK that uses stanag mags, A 556 AK with m4 mag adapter is way to go. If you want an AR that doesn't foul as much, then a "conversion" piston system (such as AA) may be what you want.
Just my late night .02
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't Syrac Ordinance coming out with something soon? (He's the dude that started Adams Arms).

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Isn't Syrac Ordinance coming out with something soon? (He's the dude that started Adams Arms).  

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/0728/files/Piston_and_Gen._II_pic_combined_large.jpg?339

View Quote

Got my attention
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I built my own upper assembly with Ares piston system for $1090.

.223/5.56 Carbine length Bushmaster barrel - $230
White Oak upper receiver -$110
BCM Charging Handle-$55
Ares piston retro fit system-$400
JP bolt and firing pin-$150
Stag Arms A2 carrying handle-$100
A2-Frame front site-$45

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But your lucky to hit little things with an AK, and the AA system is very nice for the money.  I have two and they've made my AR's AK durable, and I can hit the little targets
View Quote

simply not true
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, the AK is still more durable, but moa it is not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
This is just my .02, and probably isn't even worth that much.  However I just recently purchased an AA system through midway as they had 100 off a complete upper and I could get another 100 off using certain credit options, so I really couldn't pass up a deal like that.  Today I just fired her to make sure she cycled and what not, as I have heard horror stories about AA.  My little 7.5 upper ran flawlessly and for the price I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  I feel AA has been around long enough for them to actually stand behind their products and make a quality product as well.  Only thing I changed and probably didn't need to was to add a POF roller cam and a linear compensator(KAW Valley).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/0728/files/Piston_and_Gen._II_pic_combined_large.jpg?339

View Quote

I have an AA, and almost built another, but I too am waiting for this Syrac to emerge. They've been talking about it since '12.... I wish they would just release it already!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought an LMT and have never looked back. Best fit and finish I have ever seen for the money. It's a tack driver.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

right, he started a thread here about the new wiz bang piston system roughly a year ago and left the thread never to return, many folks here keep bumping the thread hope for any info, and not a peep. Adams Arms may have some delays, but sell a rock solid product and stand behind there weapons systems. they have some of the best customer service in the business. i would also like to see some of these "mixed" reviews on the Voodoo barrels, my 11.5 AA upper has one and it shoots on par with my LWRC rifle. i'll continue to buy AA products
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top