User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought my SR 556 when they first came out. Had accuracy issues and bolt tilting. Sent it to Ruger It was back in 2 weeks with a new upper, bolt, receiver extension and safety. The accuracy issue and bolt tilt were solved. The only 3 alterations I made  since then are, replaced the butt stock with a SOPMOD stock. Replaced the trigger with a Geissele SDE and put rail guards to cover the places not covered by the Ruger hand guards. With my hand loads I shot 1 5 shot 100 yard group that was just over 0.36 moa with most 5 shot groups around 0.65-0.75 moa. It's a bad day when I shoot groups 0.9 moa. The Geissele SDE trigger made a  big difference in group size.
View Quote

The Geissele trigger made a big difference in the accuracy on mine also. Mine was one of the early ones , but they must of solved the tilt problems when it was made . very little wear after thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
One of these days I'll hit 10,000.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the SR556's with the roll/spring pins holding the handguard on.
Is the handguard removable?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

Sure it is. There is even some nice video about it on youtube.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

Look at the video on page 4 of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't wait till the weather gets a little warmer...not much shooting lately.

Anything new out there???
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Is handguard of sr556E and ESC models really free float? The gap between hand guard and gas block seemed tight...

Really impressive accuracy results here and it seems to be a reliable gun... nice!
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a SR556 with a 556E upper on it. The original upper was too wide for my grip and have no use for the quad rail so I sold it and picked up a nice, as new, E model upper on the EE for a good price.

As everyone already knows the E model upper does not have a chrome bore but mine is a recent production and has a chrome BCG and Ruger's polymer sights which work very well. I don't miss the previous upper's metal sights at all.

I changed over to a  Magpul trigger guard, Magpul Fixed Carbine stock with the recoil pad, Ergo grip, BCM Mod 4 charging handle, Geissele SSA trigger and Spikes heavy buffer. While it is not my lightest AR this is easily become my favorite AR to shoot. It shoots so softly and is very accurate. Gas is set at #1 and I shoot M193 exclusively. The recoil impulse is different than any AR I have ever shot.  

I hear a lot of people bad rap these rifles but I am more then pleased with mine now. In fact I just bought her a TA-31FG  

I also have a Spikes Dynacomp 2 on hand for it but I am not sure about it. Anyone have any experience with this muzzle device on the
SR556?

EDIT-
I have not figured which way I am going to mount a front sling mount on the E rail yet. I don't want to add the small section of rail I have to the bottom front portion of my rail because it gets in the way of my grip. Anyone have suggestions for a front sling mount? If I can't find a decent solution I think I might go with a Magpul RSA on the top rail.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Magpul RSA is exactly what I did on my 556E.  Works great.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Ruger has a carbine model wth the E type handguards as well. http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556Carbine/specSheets/5913.html

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:29:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bump , For more pics and info
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Edit.....pic is showing as a link instead of the image. Yuck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotta keep this thread going! Love mine! Have over 1000 rounds through it now

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
hey y'all!! i've had my ruger sr-556e for nearly a year now. and, while i do love it, i find it to be a bit on the heavy side. or, atleast, it seems heavier than the service rifle i used over a decade ago. i've been wanting to change out the handguard but haven't had any luck finding one that will fit. i've emailed several companies about their handguards, but have only gotten a generic "yes we have ones that will fit" response. i think i may have found one that should work but, i'm unable to find the exact measurements to compare to the handguard that comes with the rifle. i figure, one of these two should work. but the lengths in the description don't say whether they are overall or what. anyway, these are about the lightest handguards i could find that had a high degree of compatibility. any help on finding the true dimensions would be great.

http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-REV-free-float-rail-system-CAR-cutout
http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-REV-free-float-rail-system-mid-cutout
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I got mine back in 2011.  It's an E model, and I've found it to be very accurate.  Never an issue, and runs like a champ.  Changes include a Magpul MOE Rifle stock, Magpul MOE+ grip, Geissele SSA-E, and a Bushnell 1-4x FFP on a Warne SKEL mount.  It's my version of a SDM-R in a Ruger piston flavor.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's a nice rifle.
View Quote

Yes it is...
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump , For more pics and info

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI--Ruger has discontinued the SR-556E and 556VT models.  Get 'em while you can!

I assume the decision has been made to streamline production and catalog offerings by dumping these two models.  I assume the "E" got the axe because it competes against Ruger's DI rifle as the entry-level gun.

Too bad, really, as I think the SR-556E was about the best deal going for a piston gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought id keep this string alive with some new pictures

The rundown on my SR556

- Started with a model # 5902
- Magpul CTR stock in FDE
- Troy Ind OEM sling mount in FDE
- ERGO Tactical Deluxe in FDE
- KNS anti walk pins in FDE
- Geissele SSA-E Trigger
- Seekins Oversized Bolt Catch
- LWRC Skirmish Sights in FDE
- OPMOD EXPS3-0 and G33 Magnifier in FDE
- Magpul XTM rail covers in FDE
- Troy Ind QD360 mount
- Surefire M952V-TN Light
- LDI DBAL-I2 in FDE
- YHM Phantom 5.56 QD Flash Hider
- YHM .30 Phantom LT

I have owned the rifle since new and built it around my NV setup. Its run flawlessly over the last 2.5 years... Round count in the 500-600 range

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought id keep this string alive with some new pictures

The rundown on my SR556

- Started with a model # 5902
- Magpul CTR stock in FDE
- Troy Ind OEM sling mount in FDE
- ERGO Tactical Deluxe in FDE
- KNS anti walk pins in FDE
- Geissele SSA-E Trigger
- Seekins Oversized Bolt Catch
- LWRC Skirmish Sights in FDE
- OPMOD EXPS3-0 and G33 Magnifier in FDE
- Magpul XTM rail covers in FDE
- Troy Ind QD360 mount
- Surefire M952V-TN Light
- LDI DBAL-I2 in FDE
- YHM Phantom 5.56 QD Flash Hider
- YHM .30 Phantom LT

I have owned the rifle since new and built it around my NV setup. Its run flawlessly over the last 2.5 years... Round count in the 500-600 range

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/100_0154_zpszcivyhee.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/100_0155_zpszpuxm2bc.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/159b5acc-5fd8-447a-b4c8-71f304951c74_zpsnmbvwfpt.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/100_0145_zpsoftfgwfu.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/100_0144_zpsytro7h8l.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag57/nicktobis/100_0141_zpss7ur850h.jpg

View Quote

whoa... how much does that actually weigh?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Hahaha... Good question! I haven't weighed it

I would say with can, its close to 12 pounds... Its definitely NOT a lightweight
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would say with can, its close to 12 pounds... Its definitely NOT a lightweight
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"your dancin' with a big girl, pardner..."
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice 556
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
My new setup.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Not new to ARs but this is the first one I've personally owned. Stock for now other than the foregrip. Nice to have found this place!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Thats a nice setup. Its sort of strange to see it without the flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to Massachusetts. Long stocks, small mags, and no threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it looks better without the flash hider , at least the factory Ruger one. The flash hider was one of the first thing I replaced on mine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My Ruger Sr556 CLA

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#32]

About to do a Geissele High Speed National Match DMR trigger in this today for my Dad. :up:

Next to go is the flash hider and will replace the Mako grip-pod with an Atlas Bi-pod.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Well, got it installed and adjusted to the point it feels good to me.

It has about a 3lb pull to a wall like take-up, and then when I give it a little more it drops the hammer with a clean icicle like break.

I adjusted the second stage pretty heavy on the on the start and then backed it off about 1/4 turn at a time until the second stage felt right.

The second stage feels less than a pound, so just enough to give you proper feedback to not feel like it's accidental or something unexpected.

The first stage feels like my S3G, but with the added wall on the second stage.

Trigger pull video: https://vimeo.com/138954729

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread is outstanding for the information and photos. The photos help tremendously as do the references to outspend links. I was waiting and waiting to find a SR556. Then I found a preowned SR556E. The rifle was abused, but seemed functional. I called Ruger and they confirmed it was a SR556E production date of Aug2014. The only thing Ruger said this rifle was missing was the Chrome Lined barrel. The 4 AR15s I own are all Colts and are all Chrome lined. Since this forum thread is straight forward and informative; Does the lack of Chrome Lined barrel on this SR556E make that big a difference? I have heard cleaning chrome is easier. I heard the barrel life is cut in half w/o the chrome lined barrel. The price difference for the Chrome Lined SR556 model is $300(new). Sorry about my ignorance but this shamefully beat up SR556E is offered at super price but I don't want to buy a problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This thread is outstanding for the information and photos. The photos help tremendously as do the references to outspend links. I was waiting and waiting to find a SR556. Then I found a preowned SR556E. The rifle was abused, but seemed functional. I called Ruger and they confirmed it was a SR556E production date of Aug2014. The only thing Ruger said this rifle was missing was the Chrome Lined barrel. The 4 AR15s I own are all Colts and are all Chrome lined. Since this forum thread is straight forward and informative; Does the lack of Chrome Lined barrel on this SR556E make that big a difference? I have heard cleaning chrome is easier. I heard the barrel life is cut in half w/o the chrome lined barrel. The price difference for the Chrome Lined SR556 model is $300(new). Sorry about my ignorance but this shamefully beat up SR556E is offered at super price but I don't want to buy a problem.
View Quote

Chrome is something we all want and like but it really isn't necessary for 99% of the use your rifle is likely to see. Unless you're shooting corrosive ammo or operating in a very humid and/or tropical environment you'll never miss it.

How beat up is the rifle? I assume it probably doesn't have much wear other than cosmetic stuff. But pull the bolt out and check the bearing surfaces for very bright shiny spots. Check the bolt face for any pitting around the firing pin hole and check the firing pin to make sure the tip still has a nice rounded tip. If the internal parts look good I don't think I'd be worried about buying the rifle at all.

Post up some pix if you get it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Here is something else you can check unless someone recently replaced the rifle's flash hider.

This photo is of an SR556C that has less than 200 rounds fired. Notice that the internal slots are still nice and defined and the slots end in rather rectangular cuts.

For comparison is a photo of an SR556C hider that has close to 8,000 rounds fired. Note how the internal slots are blasted away and now extend into a very sharp point.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are my Rugers.  On top is a 6.8 SPC upper, then a standard SR-556, then a CLA upper, and then a VT model on the bottom.  The CLA feels a lot lighter than the quad rail version.  I want to use it for 3-gun if I ever get around to actually signing up for a match...

Scopes are all Nikon Monarchs with BDC reticles - a 2-8x32 on the 6.8, 1-4x20s on the next two, and a 5-20x44 on the VT.  I have an old Nikon Monarch VSD red dot ready to swap on the CLA upper too, depending on what I feel like using that day.  Mounts are Warne.  Iron sights are Magpul Pros, set in offset mounts (the CLA upper has offset sights).  Stocks are Magpul - a UBR and an MOE Rifle.  Grips and trigger guards also Magpul.  I need to put some better triggers in these, but otherwise I think I'm pretty happy with the setup.  Maybe I'll put an ambi charging handle on one of them too someday.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you for the replies. I pulled the trigger on it. All cosmetic, poor rifle seems like it lived in a tool box. I stripped it down. Bolt face and all internals were basically virgin. Some residue from firing but not dirty. I am in South Florida so with or without chrome all my firearms stay oiled. To drive that point home. My two 10/22, both circa 1980's, formed surface rust from just being left alone in a closet(no oil after being borrowed). I will post a pic soon along with its big brother SR762.
Thanks again
Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#41]
@@
How do I get the pic to load here? Trying to share the pic of the SR556E.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@@
How do I get the pic to load here? Trying to share the pic of the SR556E.

View Quote

You'll have to save the pictures to a website like photobucket and then post a link here.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#43]
The scope is a little much on this one... returned my eotech and haven't replaced it yet.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#45]
And again with the EOTECH replacement.  Vortex PST 1-4.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#48]

How do you like that stock?

View Quote

Without having fired the rifle with this stock, here are some of my opinions on the unit I just received.

Pros
1.  Seems well constructed and finished.
2.  Surprisingly comfortable cheek weld.
3.  Aesthetics pleasing.
4.  Installation was extremely easy and seems solid.

Cons
1.  Heavier weight.
2.  Although the position lockups are solid, there is a slight amount of forward/back play at each position.  
3.  Doesn't make the overall rifle length notably shorter over a standard stock.
4.  No comb height adjustment.
5.  A more subtle logo would be preferable.

Bottom line, at this point, am I happy with it and would I buy another?
Because of what I was looking for in this stock, yes to both.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Without having fired the rifle with this stock, here are some of my opinions on the unit I just received.

Pros

3.  Aesthetics pleasing.

Cons

1.  Heavier weight.

2.  Although the position lockups are solid, there is a slight amount of forward/back play at each position.  

3.  Doesn't make the overall rifle length notably shorter over a standard stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How do you like that stock?

Pros

3.  Aesthetics pleasing.

Cons

1.  Heavier weight.

Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#50]
My SR556 "Takedown" with a Vortex Viper PST 1 - 4 x 24 optic.

Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top