Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great thread and great video!!  I love my SR556FB in 5.56 and picked up an SR556FB in 6.8 SPC last year.  Both are outstanding.  The 6.8 shoot Hornady VMax 110 into 1/2" at 100 meters.
View Quote

Sounds great.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
2500+. Rounds through my E..love it, but it's heavy..  It's built like a tank.  Being that mine was an E, it didn't come with any rail sections. Nothing from any of the major manufactures worked, except the midwest industries rails for thr SS gen 2.  Have ran quite a bit of Tula thru it too.  Very accurate with hand loads.

Polishing the trigger made a huge difference.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Great pics!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally, after almost a month, received a call from Ruger today. They said it was something with the barrel causing accuracy issues but are going to just replace the whole upper so as to expedite the return. It should be on it's way in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I finally, after almost a month, received a call from Ruger today. They said it was something with the barrel causing accuracy issues but are going to just replace the whole upper so as to expedite the return. It should be on it's way in a few days.
View Quote

Well sounds good to me.  Ruger has been known to have good customer service.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
OOOOH!  Them's some purdy rollmarks you got there!  I did mine in silver, but Gunscrubber is taking it off little by little.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OOOOH!  Them's some purdy rollmarks you got there!  I did mine in silver, but Gunscrubber is taking it off little by little.
View Quote

Stop using Gunscrubber on the exterior.
Good old CLP is all that is needed on the outside.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2500+. Rounds through my E..love it, but it's heavy..  It's built like a tank.  Being that mine was an E, it didn't come with any rail sections. Nothing from any of the major manufactures worked, except the midwest industries rails for thr SS gen 2.  Have ran quite a bit of Tula thru it too.  Very accurate with hand loads.

Polishing the trigger made a huge difference.

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/freakingstang/media/Guns/null_zps6f0dd442.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/freakingstang/Guns/null_zps6f0dd442.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/freakingstang/media/Guns/null_zps0379d675.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/freakingstang/Guns/null_zps0379d675.jpg</a>

View Quote

I like it , Nice coloring job
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quite right; I get some splatter or dribbles from time to time.  I got some Tapco Cleaning Stars for the lugs- maybe this will help.  Haven't used them yet though as the Ruger has been layup while I work on my Mosquito FTE (failure to everything) problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello folks.

I have a Ruger E model and have had some issues. Recently, i had some failures to extract.

I would fire one round, and then next thing I know I have a double feed. I would have one empty casing in the chamber being rammed by a live round.

It seemed the bolt wasn't grabbing the empty casing. This happened a few times and I would have to break the rifle down and use a bore rod to get the casing out of the chamber.

SO, I sent the gun in and they replaced the bolt, and polished the chamber.

The other day I was shooting some american eagle and some independence and I had the same issues.

I've had nothing but headaches with this gun and don't believe its the ammo causing the issue.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hello folks.

I have a Ruger E model and have had some issues. Recently, i had some failures to extract.

I would fire one round, and then next thing I know I have a double feed. I would have one empty casing in the chamber being rammed by a live round.

It seemed the bolt wasn't grabbing the empty casing. This happened a few times and I would have to break the rifle down and use a bore rod to get the casing out of the chamber.

The other day I was shooting some american eagle and some independence and I had the same issues.

I've had nothing but headaches with this gun and don't believe its the ammo causing the issue.

What do you all think?
View Quote

You may have got a bad one , Keep working with Ruger until they get it right.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
They just replaced the bolt last time I sent it in but may have switched my old extractor into new bolt.

I have a bcm extractor spring upgrade coming, and if that fails, I will buy a new extractor (maybe mine doesn't have enough 'bite' on it).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hello folks.

What do you all think?
View Quote

What gas setting are you using? When I was at the range I used #1 for m193 and #2 for some .223 match ammo I had. I accidentally used #1 at first and had a misfeed/jam also but once I increased the gas I had no more issues.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I got the BCM upgraded extractor spring installed, picked up 200 rounds of federal from walmart and hit the range.

I shot about 60 plus ish rounds, and had zero issues. The new spring/o-ring is super sweet so hopefully that fixed the issue.
I usually run on 2 or 3 depending, but never really switch it from 2.

That spring is twice as big as the stock one, its pretty beefy too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I got the BCM upgraded extractor spring installed, picked up 200 rounds of federal from walmart and hit the range.

I shot about 60 plus ish rounds, and had zero issues. The new spring/o-ring is super sweet so hopefully that fixed the issue.

View Quote

Over 60 rounds without an issue is great.  Update when possible.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear that it's running better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm looking for the bolt system of the ruger sr 556. Do you know any link that i can buy one for my rifle? Thank you
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm looking for the bolt system of the ruger sr 556. Do you know any link that i can buy one for my rifle? Thank you
View Quote

I havent seen one online but if you email ruger, ([email protected]), you can order it through them. But they quoted me $130 for the bolt and $163 for the carrier. From what I understand, any bolt will work with our rifles. The carrier is what is different. But before I buy some other bolt for cheaper, is that correct?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the bolts are different , the piston bolt would not have gas rings .
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:40:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the bolts are different , the piston bolt would not have gas rings .
View Quote

Then dont install the gas rings.... I dont have time to post a pic of my bolt at this moment but thats what my bolt looks like.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Since you hat to have taken the extractor apart to put the new spring in, did you give it a good, very close look?  The inside "hook" has to be very clean and sharp.  I did see one case where a guy replaced his mil-spec with a stronger o-ring, and it was gouging the cases.  Eventually he had a couple of extraction incidents.  We found tiny (TINY!) brass shavings everywhere in the bolt face and a few in the lower.  Broke the bolt down to parade rest and cleaned it up with a dental pick and dry toothbrush.  Ran a pipe cleaner down the firing pin channel- a few more sparkleys.  Nothing in and around the gas rings. reassemble and problem solved!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a Ruger SR 556E.  This is my first AR15, but I have had AR10s for many years.  My AR10s have a spring on the firing pin.  The SR 556 does not and I was surprised by this.  Is this normal for AR15s?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The SR 556 does not and I was surprised by this.  Is this normal for AR15s?
View Quote

Yep.  Normal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump. for more pics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
" />
Here's my E! She's a load, but fat girls are fun too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]

From a couple weeks ago... I really need to get an ALG trigger in there, I didn't know what I was missing until I put one in the noveske/mega build on the right.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/marineair/IMG_2210_zpsdb1d3f4d.jpg
From a couple weeks ago... I really need to get an ALG trigger in there, I didn't know what I was missing until I put one in the noveske/mega build on the right.
View Quote

What rail covers are those?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look to be LaRue index clips
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep! Thanks for answering my question. Was anyone able to smooth up the trigger through polishing or do most just replace it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Hogan 4# trigger laying around that I just dropped into mine. Was a decent upgrade, similar to the timney I did on my SCAR
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm looking at putting a Magpul stock on my SR556; don't like the Troy.  I am not near my gun right now so my question is, does the SR556 take a commerical or a mil-spec stock?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm looking at putting a Magpul stock on my SR556; don't like the Troy.  I am not near my gun right now so my question is, does the SR556 take a commerical or a mil-spec stock?
View Quote

mil-spec stock
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Look at my screen name. They are great guns.  Alas I sold my sr556. Too heavy for my tastes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Look at my screen name. They are great guns.  Alas I sold my sr556. Too heavy for my tastes.
View Quote

Have you looked at the SR556CLA? The fluted barrel and smooth forend shave off a decent amount of weight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I guess it is time to post here too. So I got the ESC model. Fortunately I do not live in CA, and those rifles only got to Finland because of some fluke. There are supposedly only 5 of them in the country. A bit disappointed about the low quality plastic ruger sights that come with it, instead of the troy ones. But they do the job as BUIS ok. I just don't see why Ruger had to downgrade those also...  At first I was a bit disappointed about the lack of flash hider/compensator. But it actually grew on me. And also the comments in the club that it puts out such a nice flame, made me wonder if I really should go through the trouble of getting it threaded.

Mods I did make.
* I added JP springs and polished the trigger as it was freakishly hard to pull. It is nice and crisp and has no creep, but still a bit too much of a pull atm. If I get some more money I might drop in some nice 2 stage.
* Also changed the pistol grip (another thing Ruger skimped on for this model ) as it felt like it was made for kids hands. Not to mention it positioned my fingers all wrong (Top of my finger extended more than 0.5 inch past the mag release, iow the mag release was about halfway my finger) and it did not help with the trigger pull either.
* The bad fixed stock went, and due to local regulations that say the rifle has to stay over 870mm I had not much choice. Either a fixed stock or mangle an collapsible one. To make matters worse the buffer tube was some kind of weird hybrid so I had to replace everything. In the end I got a Magpul PRS as it was the only one I could find that was fixed, allowed for some adjustments and gave me the additional length of pull I was looking for. Really Ruger why was this ESC model set up for a 12 year old kid?

Well without further ado, the picture:

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#38]
And due to some 2000 character limit the rest of my impressions here.

In use it is a great rifle. It does not foul very much, shoots reliably. Even on gas port setting 1 with S&B .223 bulk ammo. Never had expected to feel so good about getting the piston after I was told several times that DI guns where more than reliable enough, recoil would be harder, more moving parts etc... and then to have allmost all DI guns malfunction during a training and mine just keeping pace with the AK's without failures.
Accuracy is there also. Surprisingly not as front heavy as expected and the PRS stock helps balacing it a bit more anyway. Recoil is very predictable and soft. Different from a DI gun where it also varies shot by shot. I prefer it over a DI gun as this piston gun allows me faster follow up shots as I can more exactly predict the movements of the rifle. Brass heaps up in nice predictable piles, so the ejection pattern is very consistent too. Helps with picking up brass afterwards also The grip/handle is pretty awesome for stock. It does all I want and I doubt I would ever want to change it.

In the future a better and less bulky sight is on the planning, a better trigger and some kind of sling. But otherwise this is pretty much what I want from it now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Love the way this thing shoots. Just wish I had the E model. I use mine for 3 gun and it can get heavy after a while. Been thinking of the possibility of swapping the barrel nut with an ordinary one from a DI gun, having it modified to fit around piston system and adding a Samson Evolution 9" extended rail drilled for the roll pin. The ordinary barrel nut shouldn't need much clearance since it is thinner than the one on the Ruger from the picture I have seen.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#40]
So I have had my Ruger for a couple years now and I am at a loss.  I would like to switch out my handguard for the single top rail and I cannot find anything to fit! any suggestions. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I have had my Ruger for a couple years now and I am at a loss.  I would like to switch out my handguard for the single top rail and I cannot find anything to fit! any suggestions. Thank you
View Quote

Maybe Ruger will sell you the forend they use on the SR-556E and SR-556CLA.  If not, you're out of luck.  I know of no source for an aftermarket forend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I am pretty certain a Samson Evolution rail could be made to fit. I have a gun smith that wants to test that theory. I know on my I will need to change the barrel nut and drill the 2 hole for the roll pins on the top of the rail. I should know by Saturday if I get some free time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am pretty certain a Samson Evolution rail could be made to fit. I have a gun smith that wants to test that theory. I know on my I will need to change the barrel nut and drill the 2 hole for the roll pins on the top of the rail. I should know by Saturday if I get some free time.
View Quote

There's a cylindrical bushing inside the forend that the piston's transfer rod runs in.  That might cause you some difficulty.

If you can get it swapped, please post pics.  We'd all like to see.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I really like this rifle. i have had mine for a few years so it's not new to me but I am new to this site . I did recently add the Vortex Viper and I like it very well.
try to add pic from phone but a no go?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Took it to the gunsmith. He said that it looks very doable. The bushing is nothing more than a pressed in tube. He can replicate it with some aluminum tubing and having it welded. The only issue he said I might have is that the top rail is 9 1/8" inch where the Samson is 9" and there is already a gap between the Ruger upper rail and the rail on the piston block. He did said most of the weight comes from the barrel though. The barrel is a 2 piece and has a OD of 0.85" He said that he can machine it down to "feather weight" standards but it might be cheaper just to change the barrel to a lighter one piece. Then he said the piston block is pretty heavy. He can mill some material off and make it a true free float barrel but I wouldn't tell the difference. For the cost of all this I'm almost to the cost of a lighter DI upper so not sure if I want to move forward.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Took it to the gunsmith. He said that it looks very doable. The bushing is nothing more than a pressed in tube. He can replicate it with some aluminum tubing and having it welded. The only issue he said I might have is that the top rail is 9 1/8" inch where the Samson is 9" and there is already a gap between the Ruger upper rail and the rail on the piston block. He did said most of the weight comes from the barrel though. The barrel is a 2 piece and has a OD of 0.85" He said that he can machine it down to "feather weight" standards but it might be cheaper just to change the barrel to a lighter one piece. Then he said the piston block is pretty heavy. He can mill some material off and make it a true free float barrel but I wouldn't tell the difference. For the cost of all this I'm almost to the cost of a lighter DI upper so not sure if I want to move forward.
View Quote

If you decide to replace the barrel you'll need to find a blank without a gas port.  Ruger's gas port location is unique and not compatible with carbine, midlength or rifle gas systems.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes noticed that also.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Bump , For more pics and info
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#49]
So I want a 'new' firearm but dont want a 'new' rifle or pistol... However, I would like a 14.5 ar15 rifle or upper. What would I need (other than the upper, bolt/carrier & charging handle to make it work with the sr556e?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought my SR 556 when they first came out. Had accuracy issues and bolt tilting. Sent it to Ruger It was back in 2 weeks with a new upper, bolt, receiver extension and safety. The accuracy issue and bolt tilt were solved. The only 3 alterations I made  since then are, replaced the butt stock with a SOPMOD stock. Replaced the trigger with a Geissele SDE and put rail guards to cover the places not covered by the Ruger hand guards. With my hand loads I shot 1 5 shot 100 yard group that was just over 0.36 moa with most 5 shot groups around 0.65-0.75 moa. It's a bad day when I shoot groups 0.9 moa. The Geissele SDE trigger made a  big difference in group size.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top